Felting results

March 20, 2007 @ 1:32 am
Filed under: bags,felting

Booga bag #1 pre-felt
Booga bag #2 pre-felt

Well, I scoured the internets to find information about felting in a front loader. It was a little surprising at how hard it was to find detailed information. Or maybe I’m just an idiot. Everyone made it seem like it was not possible or extremely hard to do.

For my first bag, I threw it in the wash in a zippered pillowcase along with one of those color catcher deals. Then I also put in 2 pairs of jeans. Since everyone was saying that they had to put it through several wash cycles, I set the wash to the maximum temp (90 deg. c) and max time and let it rip. I also had our water cooker and added a couple of liters of boiling water while it was going. I put the water in by opening the detergent drawer and just pouring it in there. I also put in about a 1/2 cap of Woolite.

Once it was just about to start spinning, I turned the knob to drain the water and checked the progress. It felted TOO MUCH! I don’t think I’ve read about this happening, everyone always said you need to put it through 4 or 5 times. Maybe it was the yarn I used? Or maybe European washers are different than the US ones. The bag even fused together and I had to pull it apart. There are a few lines/creases that was created because it felted too much and I’m kind of peeved about that. It rolled itself up into a ball and stayed that way. But it’s still a cute bag. IMHO. I am blocking it using Harry Potter 4 & 5 hardcovers.

Hand felting in the sink
Blocking

The second bag (same bag, different yarn), I decided to hand felt to see how hard it is and the differences between the two. Also, Noro is more expensive than the Wollmeise yarn, so I wanted to have more control over the process. I got my water cooker, some gloves, woolite and did it in the sink. I followed the instructions from here. I think it turned out really well, I may put a cardboard covered in fabric on the bottom so that it keeps it’s bag shape when in use. Noro felts really easily, but that doesn’t mean I didn’t have sore arms! I think I will embellish it a little with embroidery along the edge and maybe a leaf on the front? Never embroidered before, but it seems like it will make it more complete. It is now being blocked using “Programming Windows” and “Abstract Data Types”.

Over felted
Almost finished, just need to attach the handles
Finished Booga bag #2

Comment by Dorothee

Made on Thursday, March 22nd, 2007 @ 9:47 am

Woohoo, congratulations on your first felting project! The bags look nice!

Comment by Tami T

Made on Thursday, March 22nd, 2007 @ 8:49 pm

Boy am I glad I found your blog, and just in time. I am making felted clogs for my family for Easter. I also have a front load wsher but am very concerned about felting in it. Everone told me to just do it,but I don’t know….. So now I am definitely finding a salad spinner & doing them that way.
Thankyou

Comment by Anne

Made on Sunday, March 25th, 2007 @ 10:13 pm

One reason it may have felted so quickly in your front loader is actually the water temp. I don’t know many people who can actually choose the water temp, and a LOT of washers are MUCH cooler than that for hot water. Having such a hot temp + the boiling/heated water was probably more of the extreme felting than the front-loader.

Sorry I can’t offer tips on the front loader, as mine’s a top loader, but I have also heard from folks it doesn’t work so well. Perhaps your superhot washer is the exception! :D

Made on Monday, March 26th, 2007 @ 1:25 am

I also have a front loader and have used it for felting. I have to add boiling water to my washer to get the temp warm enough. That’s one thing we noticed when we were in Europe last year; your hot water (from the faucet) is MUCH warmer than ours in the US. We have water heaters that are set to lower temps than what yours are; hence my need to add boiling water to my washer when felting.
The bags look great though!
Tip* for lining the bag I use fabric over plastic canvas. That way if it gets wet, the liner won’t get “funky” like a cardboard one might.

Comment by Linnea

Made on Monday, March 26th, 2007 @ 10:16 am

Ah, great! Thanks so much for posting your experiences felting with a front-load washer. We’re about to get one and I’ve been wondering how the European front-load styles will compare to the US washers in terms of felting.

Your bag came out absolutely lovely. I’m impressed how the Noro looks post-felting!

Thanks also for the links to the German yarn sites. Yarn seems to be one of the few things here that’s generally less expensive than in the US. There will be some major stash enhancement going on here before we return in a few years :)

Comment by deknit

Made on Tuesday, March 27th, 2007 @ 10:10 pm

now that’s a good use for the ‘Abstract Data Types’ ;-)
i really like how your bags turned out, they look just awesome.