Online German yarn retailers

May 9, 2007 @ 11:48 pm
Filed under: misc,yarn

I compiled a list of online German yarn retailers that I know of. For those of you who are sitting in your nice chair in the good ol’ USA, I’ll have you know it’s a pain to find import yarns. A HUGE PAIN. It doesn’t exist. Shops in the UK are our salvation, but it’s super expensive. And getting stuff shipped from the US also sucks due to shipping costs and customs (if caught). And places like Knitpicks? Yeah, completely unavailable unless you have a nice SP, friend or relative. So you should be happy that you have all those pretty yarns available to you for really cheap shipping (a lot of times FREE). But then again, the euro is pretty strong and getting stronger. I think it would be a great idea to have a european version of The Loopy Ewe or Wool Girl or something like that. I dream of having all of those skeins running through my fingers and finally introduce the Germans to the wonderfulness of Yarn Pirate or Vesper, stuff like that. But then I will probably keep 1/2 of it to myself.

Anyways, if you know of any more German online shops, please send me an email! Click here for the list.

Made on Thursday, May 10th, 2007 @ 11:22 pm

Hey, I’ve got some Yarn Pirate and some TOFUtsies I’d be willing to trade you. :D

Comment by schrodinger

Made on Friday, May 11th, 2007 @ 4:01 am

I feel your pain. I’m just really glad that I didn’t pick up knitting this serviously until I moved to the states. I think that shadknitty has the right idea though, maybe a swap is in order – I’m sure you can get your hands on some tempting German sock yarns. I’d also recommend asking Dipsy Doodle (http://www.millharrow.com/weblog/) where she gets some of her yarn from – maybe she’ll know some tempting retailers.

Comment by schrodinger

Made on Friday, May 11th, 2007 @ 4:03 am

Oh yes, I know she’s in Austria, but I figured it’s relatively close – particularly for online stuff.

Comment by Shannon

Made on Saturday, May 12th, 2007 @ 3:34 am

That is interesting. I never realized that it would be a problem. Is it cheaper to ship from the UK than from the US? Well at least STR opened the club to overseas shipping this year. Hopefully it will start a trend!

Comment by Elvira Jakovac

Made on Wednesday, October 10th, 2007 @ 3:04 pm

Another German online retailer-love her store
Elvira

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.