No more yarn!

May 19, 2007 @ 10:26 pm

Michael’s fancy socks

OK, ok, pick yourselves up off the floor and stop laughing. Don’t believe me? Yeah, I’m guessing you probably wouldn’t. I have gone nuts ordering yarn and so I am going to go on a yarn diet (OMG, can’t believe I’m actually saying this) until September, where I will go to the textile market. Seriously. So you will see more yarn pictures, of course, but I ordered them BEFORE today. I will also put a disclaimer that this diet EXCLUDES any purchase that is needed to complete a project (didn’t buy enough the first time around). Also, since I mainly buy sock yarn, it DOES count! So please, don’t tell me about the awesome yarn you have and don’t go posting pictures on flickr!!! :)

OK, so after I wrote that, I went and bought more Jitterbug. You know why? Because I am such an idiot. I am. I was so busy fondling and oogling the yarn that I didn’t bother to check the yardage. BTW, do germans say yardage? or meterage? is that even a word? Anyways, it’s like 260 or something like that. DOH! I think I can get away with ankle highs for myself with one skein, but not for the Gentleman’s sock. Dang it all. So, I’m already hitting an exception in my diet. This is bad. But that never happens. Ever. Except today. Really. I mean it.

So on to good things. Last night I started the Gentleman’s Fancy sock from Knitting Vintage Socks for Michael. Boy, it sure feels good to type a pattern name and not have to link it! Heh. I’m doing it in none other than the Colinette Jitterbug in Blue Parrot (that’s why I ordered more). I love the squishyness of this yarn, but Yarnissima told me that she made socks for her son and it felted pretty badly. We’ll see. We’ll have to compare how my husband matches up with a 7 year old. It sure is hard to find sock patterns for men because all the interesting ones (lace) are for women.

I modified the pattern for 8sts/in. A lot of patterns in this book are for 9 or 10sts per inch. That is so painful. I don’t think I could knit something with that small stitches. It would drive me nuts. It fits Michael really well though and it is very stretchy so it goes over his abnormally large heel just fine and is still snug on his calf. I can’t wait for him to wear these, but I’ll have to wait for the 2nd skein to come in. Let’s just hope that the colorway isn’t too different. Even if it is, I’m sure no one will notice. It’s just socks.

Comment by Tanja

Made on Saturday, May 19th, 2007 @ 10:39 pm

Hi, Kris :-)

Eine Wolldiät? Wie grausam ;-))

Diäten sind ungesund – sagt man in den USA auch Jojo-Effekt? So wirken sich Diäten aus, erst nimmt man ein bisschen ab und dann umso mehr zu! Deshalb lass ich die Wolldiät lieber gleich ganz sein :-))

Deine neuen Socken werden wundersch̦n Рdas sind ganz tolle Farben!

Viele liebe Grüße
Tanja

Comment by pamela wynne

Made on Saturday, May 19th, 2007 @ 10:50 pm

Good luck with the diet!

You might be surprised by how far the Jitterbug goes — it’s pretty thick, so I knit it on US 2s and got a whole pair of Monkey socks out of it.

Made on Saturday, May 19th, 2007 @ 11:26 pm

Hehehe, you and yarn diet? I think I have to start getting some bets in. :-p You should keep away from me though, coz you know what an enabler I can be. See you tomorrow!

Comment by brooke

Made on Sunday, May 20th, 2007 @ 1:52 am

The colours in that photo are gorgeous-the yarn looks great in that pattern. You may be onto something with a summer stash diet…I think I may consider going on one also.

Comment by Eva

Made on Sunday, May 20th, 2007 @ 9:47 am

I would just say the ‘length’ of the yarn is x meters :)

After today’s order at Tausendschoen I think I’ll do the same. I’ll probably buy yarn while on my trip to the Isles, but after that I will only knit from my stash which is getting to be frighteningly big…

Cheers Eva

Comment by Dorothee

Made on Sunday, May 20th, 2007 @ 12:00 pm

That would be “Lauflänge” in German.
I’m on a yarn diet too – have been on it for quite a while now. I did buy some yarn in between cos I couldn’t resist… but now I’m back on track! Well, until I decide what yarn my sock pal is going to get – I don’t have any suitable yarn for her in my stash.

Made on Monday, May 21st, 2007 @ 1:58 pm

Yes, I am on a “mini-diet”. Since which, I have bought yarn. My excuse? Well, hubby hasn’t actually left yet. lol Three weeks, I have three weeks where I am trying not to buy yarn. Let’s see how that goes. Oh, but buying yarn for swaps is fine. And swapping yarn (hehe) is fine as well. :D

That sock is gorgeous! I love that pattern, and keep meaning to get around to it. But I don’t. :( Yours looks great though. Hopefully he wears them.

Comment by Linnea

Made on Monday, May 21st, 2007 @ 2:00 pm

Oh, but how you will splurge once September rolls around!

Yardage vs. Meterage – I was wondering the exact same thing the other day. And decided to go with “meterosity” as the winning term.

Made on Monday, May 21st, 2007 @ 2:31 pm

I love this pattern – it shows of variegated yarn really well! Good luck on the yarn diet…. :)

Comment by Shannon

Made on Tuesday, May 22nd, 2007 @ 3:52 pm

The socks looks great! Iv enot tried the Jitterbug yet. But I did know that the “yardage” was low. That is a bummer.

Good luck with the yarn diet. I need one of those too.

Comment by Sarah

Made on Tuesday, June 5th, 2007 @ 4:15 pm

Those blue parrot socks look lovely! i’ve made a pair of plain socks for my hubby from Jitterbug, was worried abotu the yardage but ended up fine, also they’ve been in the wool cycle in my washing machine but nowhere near the dryer and they’ve been fine. Good excuse to get two skeins though…