Living on the edge

May 22, 2007 @ 4:17 pm

Hedera in Wollmeise Sonne

I am on day 3 of my yarn diet and so far, so good. I did catch myself meandering over to the posh yarn website thinking that I NEED to get some cashmere yarn for Michael’s mother for Christmas. Then I remembered that I can buy it in September with plenty of time to spare. Whew, that was a close one. I am doing remarkably well so far, I don’t have any yarn envy (yet) and am genuinely happy for other people and their acquisitions. But the real test is one or two months from now.

I have the Gentleman’s fancy sock on hold for now as I await for my 2nd skein to arrive. I really should’ve just bought Elem’s one instead of ordering, but I also needed more mini-blockers for gifts. So, while that one is on the side (I did finish one side already), I am making Hedera socks for myself with my leftover Wollmeise Sonne yarn. I am really loving the color/pattern combo. I love this bright yarn! I used to get more darker and muted colors but lately I’ve found myself buying the brightest and most colorful stuff I can find! I think I’ll have enough yarn, since the Monkey’s that I made were a little above the ankle, and these will be as well. Only time will tell.

Also, at the last SNB, 3 of us knitters started discussing doing a podcast. It was Elem who brought up the idea and said it would be fun and we all rallied around him. It was soooooo much fun thinking up names and different ideas, so we’ll see what happens with that. We’re just in the process of throwing around names/ideas/format, so it’ll be a little while before we do anything. We want it to be crazy like L&V, but try to have different things and of course bring to light yarns that we have in Europe. I am kind of the boring one of the group, the “mother hen” if you will. The other two are hilarious and it is always endless entertainment for me to listen to them and their stories. So stay tuned…

Oh, and also, my SP found out who I am. Dang it all…I guess it’s so hard to be secret since the knitting community is so small. Especially when I don’t hide my pictures of the projects that I’m making for her AND I make something unusual like Gothic Spires!!! But really, what gave me away was the mention in L&V. I think she saw Elem’s site, and then he linked to me, so there it is. Hi Tini!

Comment by Shannon

Made on Tuesday, May 22nd, 2007 @ 6:04 pm

The socks look great. I’m going to have to try that pattern. I am talking to Claudia to order some of that Wollmeise! Looks wonderful. It will be my last order before a self imposed diet begins.

Comment by Tanja

Made on Tuesday, May 22nd, 2007 @ 6:21 pm

Wow – das ist ja eine tolle Kombination!!
Das werden wunderschöne Socken!
Gratuliere zu Tag 3 Deiner Wolldiät – bei mir sind heute schon wieder 10 (!!) Knäuel Opal-Wolle eingezogen. Leider gab’s die im Angebot zu einem unschlagbaren Preis… aber ich mache ja auch keine Diät ;-)

Viele liebe Grüße
Tanja

Comment by Lynn

Made on Tuesday, May 22nd, 2007 @ 11:30 pm

The socks are gorgeous and I plan on getting some Wollmeise in the upcoming year.

DO PODCAST!

I would love to hear the european slant on stuff and I always want more Knit podcasts to listen to. ;)

See? You already have one listener!

Made on Tuesday, May 22nd, 2007 @ 11:36 pm

I wasn’t going to say anything about the podcast yet…but well, now that you’ve announced it, I guess it’s okay then (I announced it on my blog, too).

Ahhhhh….and the Hedera in Sonne??? Very bright indeed. ;-)

BTW, in the wee hours of last night, I wandered off to the Knittery and filled the cart up to about EUR 70…before I took a deep breath and just cleared the cart before any catastrophe could hit. Well, my behaving paid off today as you already know.

Comment by pamela wynne

Made on Wednesday, May 23rd, 2007 @ 12:03 am

Gorgeous orange!!

Comment by Ulli

Made on Wednesday, May 23rd, 2007 @ 8:15 am

What a nice pattern and I simply love the bright colors.

Made on Wednesday, May 23rd, 2007 @ 2:26 pm

oooh – pretty Hederas! love the brights!!!!!

Comment by Linnea

Made on Thursday, May 24th, 2007 @ 8:21 am

I would love, love, love to hear a podcast from you! And, in a fit of shameless self-promotion (not that I have anything to promote, mind you) you can interview me! I see stardom in our future, baby…

As for the yarn diet… What if I commissioned you to make a pair of socks? That wouldn’t count, would it, if you got some new yarn out of the deal? Because I am wondering how hand-knit socks would hold up with long-distance running. I hate the toe seams on my store-bought pairs, and am thinking about purchasing some Tofutsies yarn to see if that might be a solution.

Comment by Stephanie

Made on Friday, May 25th, 2007 @ 4:40 am

You should totally do a podcast…it’s SO much fun!!!

All the best,
Stephanie
SSK Podcast

Made on Sunday, May 27th, 2007 @ 6:12 am

Whew! I have been trying and trying to comment on this but my stupid broken computer wouldn’t let me. Grrrr. Anyways, BEAUTIFUL!! I love it! Hedera is my all time favorite pattern. :)