Hank Wanking and other thoughts

June 17, 2007 @ 12:50 am

Which one looks better?

Perfect fit!

So Elem and I were chatting on Skype and he saw the picture of where I rehanked a skein of Sheepaints yarn. I was just bored and wanted to see what it would look like. Elem has rehanked some skeins too and it seems like ever since he got his swift and ball winder, he just does this all the time. He like hanks instead of balls (get your mind out of the gutter), so he turns all of his balls into hanks (yes, that means you). So he got me started doing this. I really like the look of reskeined skeins because the colors mix together and it gives you a closer representation of what it would look like knitted up.

Being the weirdos that we are, we decided to name the group “Hank Wankers” and immediately got censored on flickr (woo hoo, we’re THAT risque)! I know we’re going to be the only ones putting up pictures, but I think it’s a great idea. I know I would like to see other people post pictures of rehanked skeins! Or I should say hanks that have been wanked!

I mean seriously folks, don’t you think the yarn looks better reskeined? A lot of german dyers don’t do it that way. I guess it’s a waste of time that they could use to dye. So, here we come to the rescue! :)

I also had a great idea while chatting with him. I was thinking of putting together something called “a taste of germany” and it would include one skein of sock yarn (or lace or whatever) of all the indie dyers that i know of in germany. That’s maybe 10 dyers. So it would be maybe 100 – 120 euros + shipping. I guess that is quite a bit. Maybe rotate dyers – like 5 instead so it would be 50 – 60 euros + shipping for 5 skeins. I know *I* would like something like that! And then I could have it themed like “blues” or “reds” or “sunny” or whatever. You know what I mean. The handpaints in Germany are cheaper than in the states (even with the euro conversion and shipping), and there’s some good stuff out there that is basically unseen in the US knitting world. I don’t even know if there’s anyone interested in something like that. So if you are, please leave a comment and maybe I’ll look into it further. I wouldn’t get any money from it, it would just be a service that I would pass on to fellow US knitters who want to “taste” germany. I could see it being useful to the dyers getting their yarn seen and the customers getting lots of different yarns!

Anyhoo, enough of my rambling! I finished one side of the tabi socks for my mom. It fits her perfectly and she likes it a lot. After I got the stitch count right, it was really quick. Even the toe part wasn’t that bad. I am up to the heel on the 2nd sock, should be done in a couple of days. It’s so weird to see the big toe in it’s own separate cover, kind of lobster like, especially in that red/orange color!

I so desperately want to cast on for another sock, but have been good and resisted temptation.

By the way, broke the yarn diet again, this time I have no excuse. Well, when the Yarn Pirate says she’s having a sock club, I mean, c’mon!!! Can’t say no, right? Even when signups are at 3am German time. It’s the Yarn Pirate!

Comment by Cathi

Made on Sunday, June 17th, 2007 @ 1:13 am

Hank wanking and yarn pirates? This knitting is pretty damn wild stuff! Who knew!!

Your mom’s sock is looking good. I’m getting ready to frog back my first pair of Trekking socks. Tried that damn swatching and math, and somehow my socks are still way too wide. Does it get any easier getting socks that fit?

I think I’ll refrain from any more sock yarn buying for a while myself, but your taste of Germany idea sounds good!

Comment by Megan

Made on Sunday, June 17th, 2007 @ 2:03 am

Oh man… you can’t get me excited like that. I was thinking the YP sock club sign up was tonight from your post and then I saw it was yesterday. Sad.

I wish I had a swift/ball winder. When I re-skein my balls they look crappy because I do it by hand on a toilet paper roll.

I might be interested in the “taste of germany” once I’m back in the States.. haha.

Hey… when are you guys doing another KU episode? I’m looking forward to the next one.

Comment by Tanja

Made on Sunday, June 17th, 2007 @ 9:12 am

Hahahah – ich wußte schon immer, dass Elemmaciltur und Du SEHR gefährlich seid!! Aber ich kommentiere hier weiter, ich liebe wohl das Risiko *g*

Zum “Rehanking” – ich mag die Wolle so, wie sie gefärbt wurde, lieber, die Farben leuchten mehr und man kann sich eher vorstellen, wie sie beim Stricken herauskommen.

Deine neuen Socken sind mal wieder super – die Farbe gefällt mir auch sehr.

Wenn ich mal in die USA komme, mach ich auch beim German Taste mit, ok? ;-)
Es ist so gemein, dass man immer das haben will, was es am anderen Ende des Ozeans gibt…

Ich bin übrigens froh, dass Deine Woll-Diät vorbei ist… dann gibt’s hier wenigstens regelmäßig schöne Wolle zu sehen ;-)

Viele liebe Grüße
Tanja

Comment by Holly

Made on Sunday, June 17th, 2007 @ 10:23 am

I guess I am totally weird. I like the skeins as is. That way I can measure the yarn/dye repeats and make better decisions about which patterns will work with which colours.

Since I have done this, I have been much better able to stop the fugly pooling that is common to many hand painted yarns.

In fact, I have stopped buying reskeined yarn. It represents work for which I really don’t want to pay. I would rather them dye, and me decide if the colours work together for me .
-Holly

Comment by knittingphilistine

Made on Sunday, June 17th, 2007 @ 2:26 pm

WOOT! Yarn Pirate sock club! I’m actually making special little bars of soap for Mrs. YP as a treat that will be sent out w/ the yarn… so look for some handmade soap made by ME!

Made on Sunday, June 17th, 2007 @ 2:28 pm

Hehehe, let’s wank thoe hanks!

I’d totally do the ‘Taste of German’ were I on the other side of the ocean. But since I’m here, I’ll probably help you out with the thing. ;-)

Comment by pamela wynne

Made on Sunday, June 17th, 2007 @ 2:57 pm

I’d love to see the German yarn tour — such a neat idea. And YAY, I signed up for the YP club too! :)

Comment by Anne

Made on Sunday, June 17th, 2007 @ 4:21 pm

Wow it definitely does look better ‘wanked’ – I’d be MUCH more likely to get the yarn in the 2nd photo – the first doesn’t do it justice!! That’s a really cool idea about the yarn tour – I’d love to see it. I really should find out about getting my relatives to send me some yarn from Germany LOL I see so many lovely things from there!

Comment by Leslie

Made on Sunday, June 17th, 2007 @ 7:22 pm

Another Yarn Pirate club member here :-) But I’d still be plenty interested in the “taste of Germany” idea — one can never have too much sock yarn…

Made on Sunday, June 17th, 2007 @ 7:57 pm

So, how do you wank a hank? I love how the colors blend, but I only know how to ball a hank.

Comment by tini

Made on Sunday, June 17th, 2007 @ 9:06 pm

I’m too dumb to wank a hank…. I do have a ballwinder now but do you wank a hank with a niddy noddy?
Love to see the German taste thingy ;) just because I’m so tired of the ever self striping yarn by regia

Comment by Dave

Made on Sunday, June 17th, 2007 @ 9:39 pm

I think the Taste of Germany is a fabulous idea. I’ve been “reading” … err, looking at … some German knitting blogs for a while now and there are some fantastic looking yarns that aren’t available here (in Canada).

Comment by KelInCal

Made on Monday, June 18th, 2007 @ 6:18 pm

Taste of Germany – what a cool idea! I’d be in, dude. I jumped into the Yarn Pirate Booty Club, too – couldn’t resist!

Comment by Susie

Made on Monday, June 18th, 2007 @ 10:33 pm

Hank wanking…I never thought of it in those terms. I always reskein my hand dyed yarns before I put them up for sale. It takes more time, but I like the idea that you can see the color mix a little bit better.

I love the idea of organizing international groups of indie dyers by country…that would take some doing, but can you imagine? This month from Germany, next from Japan, next from New Zealand…it could happen.

Comment by Sophia

Made on Tuesday, June 19th, 2007 @ 3:25 am

Love those tabi socks! I think the yarn looks better reskeined; gives me a better overall picture of the color combos.

Comment by debbie

Made on Tuesday, June 19th, 2007 @ 4:01 am

thanks for stopping by my blog! i like the yarn reskeined too because it gives a better idea how the colors look combined. i grew up in kailua, in coconut grove area; my mom still lives there with my sister and her family. i’ve since transplanted to kaneohe – not too far away….

Comment by Shannon

Made on Tuesday, June 19th, 2007 @ 1:55 pm

Love the tabi socks! I want to make some of those sometime.

I like the yarn reskeined – but I also like it in the beofre picture too. Although I think the reskeining gives a more clear picture of the overall distribution of the color in the skein.

Comment by Oblivia

Made on Thursday, June 21st, 2007 @ 4:54 pm

Eeeks! German Yarn club-thingy? Please don’t. (Please do.) I totally can not yarn diet. I signed up for more clubs, including the YP one, and just placed an order with the Loopy Ewe for, yes, MORE YARN! I’m checking my budget and if I can manage a trip to Germany for Oktoberfest, you yarnies, and the Wollmeise. :)

Comment by Nadine

Made on Saturday, June 30th, 2007 @ 11:01 am

Hi there! First of all, thanks for the comment on my blog. :) I made it my mission to scout out all the indie yarn dyers ever since I saw a list of them posted on the Internet. I still have a few to check out- but since I went on the yarn binge of the century I have to wait and knit up some first.
You know, your idea for the German indie yarns…. it is something I wish existed for US yarns too. Even the commercial ones like Fixation, Panda Cotton etc are tricky to find and the shipping adds up quickly when you place an order at every single one.
And just imagine other combos like “Around the world in 8 yarns” or “Tour Europe” or the American continent (Handmaiden, Koigu, US yarns and then Manos or Uru)…….
Love that idea……

Comment by Kellie

Made on Tuesday, July 3rd, 2007 @ 10:47 pm

I would definitely be interested in the ‘Taste of Germany’ if you would also include knitters from DownUnder (New Zealand)!