I met an angel today

June 21, 2007 @ 1:01 am
Filed under: misc

Today I met with an angel in Heidelberg. She took pity on me and my canned chicken crisis and basically took me to shopping heaven, where I immediately had a heart attack around every turn. I can’t go into more details here, but let’s just say I now have 12 cans of canned chicken and then some. In return, I brought her some Lorna’s Laces sock yarn – she had a hard time choosing between the Lorna’s Laces and the Fleece Artist Merino, both of which she has never seen before. She’s not a huge sock knitter, although her Jaysock has seen more of Europe than I. I’m working on her though, and I’m hoping by year’s end, I will have turned her into a sock knitting machine. We had some interesting adventures. For example, we sat in her car in a parking lot waiting for the “besetzt” light to go off so that we can go in. We thought about going to another parking lot, but figured it would be easier to wait. I think we sat there for about 15 minutes before we could go in. And then finally we were able to go in we were so excited like we won the lottery. Linnea screamed “YAY! We got a ticket!!!!” really loud, it was too funny! We ate at a Lebanese place, where she coolly ordered in Arabic and I in my best American accent “I’ll have the number 31!”. I think she may be a spy of some sort. And she knits, I think that’s her cover. In addition to knitting, she also spins and dyes too! I picked her brain about spinning, but it’s kinda something you have to see in person. Sadly, the visit was oh so short and I had to return to my overheated boys and parents. Which by the way, it was a horrible journey home filled with missed trains and a screaming toddler.

I am off to Cinque Terre this weekend with Michael ohne Kinder!! Woohoo! Will probably be unplugged until Monday.

Comment by Linnea

Made on Thursday, June 21st, 2007 @ 1:16 pm

Pffft. You’re MY angel, for coming up to hot, crowded Heidelberg and gifting me with the most lovely sock yarn I have ever seen in my entire life! Thank you! It was so much fun to meet with you – really, too short a time. I think that your sock knitting powers are already starting to work on me, as I’ve been thinking about ordering some circs or maybe seeing if they have Addis down at Wolle Roedel (I know I’ve seen some Addi DPNs, not sure about the circs). But I am oh-so-nervous because I have to find the perfect pattern for my beautiful new yarn.

Thank you so much for a wonderful day – hope you’re having fun this weekend ohne Kinder and hope that you don’t find yourself in a parkplatz that’s besetzt…

Made on Thursday, June 21st, 2007 @ 1:42 pm

You’re in canned chicken heaven, eh?

Comment by Linnea

Made on Thursday, June 21st, 2007 @ 2:46 pm

Okay, sorry, but Canned Chicken Heaven conjures up really weird images…

Comment by Holly

Made on Thursday, June 21st, 2007 @ 5:04 pm

I take it from reading your blog that you are in Germany. I am an avid (rabid) sock knitter and will be seeking yarn sources in Germany when I am there July 4th-16th. We will start in Munich and hit Frankfort and several small towns on the Rhime and Mosel rivers. Any suggestions of not to be missed places?

Comment by Ingrid

Made on Thursday, June 21st, 2007 @ 10:18 pm

A weekend without kids – have a good one! Make the most of it! Your parents are pretty special – not only do they bring you yarn they give you some precious time with Michael – enjoy!

Made on Thursday, June 21st, 2007 @ 11:56 pm

OOOOOh! Holly, write us Knitters Uncensored an email: KnittersUncensored (AT) gmail (DOT) com and we can go on a yarn crawl together when you’re in Munich!!!

Comment by Mokihana

Made on Friday, June 22nd, 2007 @ 7:00 am

My daughter took a trip to Italy last year, and fell in love with Cinque Terra! She showed us photos of it, and I can see why she loves it so. Hope you have a fabulous time!

Comment by susan

Made on Sunday, June 24th, 2007 @ 5:53 am

Oh, dang, I’m so jealous. I was in the Cinque Terra (Vernazza) 10 years ago and adored it.