Zokni does the Cinque Terre

June 25, 2007 @ 1:36 pm
Filed under: socks

Our first stop, Riomaggiore. We parked our car here (20 euros a day ack!) and just walked through. We didn’t like the lower parts of the town, but the upper parts were really nice.

Manarola, the 2nd town that we visited. We stayed overnight here and didn’t like it hardly at all. People were very rude and it was so damn hot!!! But it sure was pretty at night and there is a really nice playground here that our boys would’ve liked.

Manarola in the evening. It’s a gorgeous city on the outside.

The 3rd town, Corniglia, that we visited. This is the cat town and I’m so sad that we didn’t stay here. This is the cat town where at 5am all the cats come out and roam the town. The shops all had a cat theme, so cool! The people were friendly and we discovered foccacia sandwiches here. So yummy!

Ah Vernazza, the heart of the Cinque Terre. It is a really picturesque town and friendlier. AND it has internet woohoo!!!

We hung out on the harbor until 11pm and it was so romantic!

Our last stop, Monterosso. It was very resorty and expensive and way too many people. We had the best foccacia sandwiches here though.

So I brought my knitting with me and lugged it all across the Cinque Terre. We hiked through the whole way and stayed in Manarola and Vernazza. We’re so glad we did it, but it was way too touristy for us. Inspired by Linnea and her Jaysock, I decided to do the same with my Zokni. I didn’t get much knitting done, I just basically did the heel and the gusset. It’s so funny because after I finished the eye of partridge heel, I found out that Pamela also did the same!!! If you remember, I picked this pattern because of her and it turns out ours are going to be similar. How weird is that? Weird in a good way, of course. Knitting when it is hot sweaty is no fun. I had to frequently wash my hands because the sweat and saltiness(?) made the yarn really stick to my fingers. I’m sure people probably thought I was so weird to be knitting a wool sock while it is so freaking hot. I am really shocked and kinda sad that there were no other knitters on vacation there. I was hoping that another knitter would come up to me and we could talk shop. But, sadly, no. The good news is that Zokni is almost done…can’t wait to finish!!!

Comment by Deb

Made on Monday, June 25th, 2007 @ 2:54 pm

What a view! I’ve always wanted to visit. Gorgeous!

Made on Monday, June 25th, 2007 @ 3:52 pm

*jealous*

…but glad you had a great time! ;-)

Comment by pamela wynne

Made on Monday, June 25th, 2007 @ 5:37 pm

Gorgeous sock! The EofP heel just seemed *right*, you know? :)
Not eager to pick up the Gloss again, so I may start my Zokni over in a new yarn. Can’t wait to see yours finished!

Comment by tini

Made on Monday, June 25th, 2007 @ 6:18 pm

oooh it looks you had waaaay better weather than I did in Denmark (btw. Copenhagen is lovely and people are really great there and my hometown is just on the way to it looking up from Munich :) ) but I got tons of knitting done because we had a lot of rain…
But Italy is surely on my to-go-list.

Comment by knittingphilistine

Made on Monday, June 25th, 2007 @ 6:45 pm

You know your life has hit an all-time new low when a pair of socks gets a better vacation than you! ;)

Comment by knitlady

Made on Monday, June 25th, 2007 @ 8:43 pm

Oh, these beautiful houses! I’m jealous as well. Seemed to be a great vacation!

Comment by schrodinger

Made on Tuesday, June 26th, 2007 @ 4:15 am

Shame it was so rude – but it certainly is a pretty place.

Comment by Elaine

Made on Tuesday, June 26th, 2007 @ 4:55 am

Funny how you never get as much travel knitting done as you think. I was on a 4-week holiday to Scandinavia last month and managed to finish 1 sock! Of all the places you’d think I would knit more in Scandinavia!

Anyway, at least you got some GORGEOUS photos!

Enjoying the podcast, btw!

Made on Tuesday, June 26th, 2007 @ 6:33 am

Gorgeous! Oh my goodness, those images are making me drool just a bit. I wanna vacation there too!

Comment by Tanja

Made on Tuesday, June 26th, 2007 @ 9:44 am

Herrliche Fotos, Kris – richtige Postkartenmotive! ICH WILL AUCH NACH ITALIEN!

Made on Tuesday, June 26th, 2007 @ 1:39 pm

what beautiful scenery!!!! looks like the sock is having a blast!