Finished Tabi socks

June 28, 2007 @ 10:05 am

Mom’s tabi socks

Woo hoo! TWO FO’s in one day! I don’t think that’s ever happened to me. Well, I did the toe on the last day, but still. TWO!

These socks are for my mom. I keep wanting to knit for my family but because they live in Hawaii, it’s hard to see them wearing wool socks. Even in the winter. So, I was throwing out ideas, and then my mom said that she would like tabi socks! Woohoo! I ran out and got some wool/cotton blends (scoured every yarn store in Munich with Elem). But I still thought it would be too hot, then Elem mentioned that he had the Panda Cotton that was given to him from fabz. He didn’t have plans for it, so it came home with me!!!

My mom really likes these socks, but I made them a tad too short. It will still work, but she has to keep pulling them up for the heel to be in the right place. She wasn’t around when I started to do the toe decreases. And I assumed the stretchiness of the yarn would make it ok.

I did the pattern myself. A simple 3/1 rib with a complicated Japanese short row heel. The heel was actually fun to do. Gave the sock more interest to me. I actually hated doing the separate toe (or maybe I just suck at it). But I will get my practice in because she has requested more socks! I think next time I’ll do a heel flap. I also had a hard time with the yarn. Because it is so stretchy, I had to knit with less stitches than normal. The normal pattern/gauge planning does NOT apply. I had to make it 4 stitches less. And the yarn was quite splitty, especially after a few frogs. But I loved the feel of it and it’s perfect for the hawaiian warmth.

Pattern: My own tabi sock pattern. cast on 56 sts, 1/1 rib for 10 rows, 3/1 rib for the rest, japanese short row heel.
Yarn: Crystal palace Panda cotton Cinnamon colorway, gift from fabz
Needles: Knit Picks US2/3mm classic circs
Started: June 12, 2007
Finished: June 25, 2007

Comment by SP10

Made on Thursday, June 28th, 2007 @ 10:13 am

I am knitting with Panda Cotton too – when you find out who I am (just a few days now!!) you can look at my socks on my Blog. I too am annoyed with the way it splits and unravels at the drop of a hat and will not be in a hurry to use it again. I am also using Panda Wool in the same sock (don’t ask why) and I don’t have the same problem with that.
Have you thought about Regis Bamboo or SWTC Tofutsies for your Mom’s socks? I know you are on a yarn diet but bamboo is much cooler on the feet than wool (or anything from a Bunny or a Goat or a Llama or a Camel……)

Made on Thursday, June 28th, 2007 @ 12:40 pm

what a neat idea!!! that toe must be very interesting to make!

Made on Thursday, June 28th, 2007 @ 4:21 pm

Glad the wool was put to good use.

Comment by Mokihana

Made on Friday, June 29th, 2007 @ 4:22 am

Fabulous tabi socks! I have a pattern for some of them, and I’d like to knit them asap!! I love the colorway, too.

Comment by Nadine

Made on Saturday, June 30th, 2007 @ 11:49 am

I did one pair of tabi socks and the toe part was killing me. :) But I like the look of yours a lot….. maybe I’ll try another pair….

Comment by schrodinger

Made on Saturday, June 30th, 2007 @ 8:20 pm

Nice Tabi’s, look like a perfect fit in the toe. Congrats on the 2 FO’s!