Vista Mare: A cry for HELP!

June 30, 2007 @ 11:33 am

Vista Mare front

Detail of heel

I don’t know if I mentioned this earlier, but I’m designing a sock for the infamous Billy Reid. It was conceived in the Cinque Terre in Italy and everywhere we went, we saw signs advertising rooms for rent. And almost all of them said “vista mare”, which means seaview. Since this sock looks kind of aquarium-y, I thought it was appropriate. But I also wanted Billy’s name in it because it’s HIS socks. So the full name is “Vista Mare aka Billy Reid socks”. It is basically a bunch of patterns thrown into a toe up sock.

So, here’s my cry for help. It is currently 72 sts around, knitted in a 9sts/in gauge. The foot fits perfectly, on my husband’s test foot. Where the problem comes in is in the heel/leg. I did a heel flap and increased for the gusset (+32 sts), and that part actually fits ok. It’s when I’m done with the heel and I’m doing the leg part that’s really tight on the instep. I don’t know if my husband has a freakishly large instep or what. I can get it onto *my* seemingly tiny foot, it’s a little snug, but it’s ok. I know that if I continue, my husband won’t be able to get it on at all. What to do, what to do? If I increase the sts, it would make the foot part too big. If I change needle sizes, I think it would make the pattern look wierd. Any suggestions??? I don’t think making the gusset bigger (increasing even more) would help…or would it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Hopefully I won’t have to frog the whole sock. But if it’s meant to be, then so be it.

Comment by ivete

Made on Saturday, June 30th, 2007 @ 3:13 pm

You could make the heel flap longer, and therefore the gusset would have more stitches. You can also decrease away most but not all the gusset stitches, so your leg ends up with more stitches than your foot. HTH!

Comment by Deb

Made on Saturday, June 30th, 2007 @ 3:17 pm

Yes- increasing the gusset # would help– of course, then you must rip back a number of inches and begin before your gusset increases started! (Uggh!).

What about paired increases (m1p) on the heel flap? In particular between the diagonal twisted rib and the double column of twisted stitches. You could do the same between the double column and the more complicated motif.

You could always add another motif (and more stitches!) to the gusset- and have it continue up the side of the sock– a clock in reverse.

Comment by Cathi

Made on Saturday, June 30th, 2007 @ 4:49 pm

I can’t help you at all on the technical side of the sock construction…just wanted to say I am totally impressed with your design! Didn’t you just start doing socks in the last year? Wow!

Comment by Lynn

Made on Saturday, June 30th, 2007 @ 4:59 pm

I think you should give the different size needle a try. I don’t think that the Monsoon socks look too wierd…

Good luck with whatever you do!

Comment by Jenn

Made on Saturday, June 30th, 2007 @ 5:37 pm

On my Twisted Flower sock, I did the foot on size 1s and the leg on size 2s because my feet are somewhat narrow, but my calves are a little thicker, and while it definitely made a difference in the fit, there’s pretty much no difference in the appearance of the two sections unless you’re looking at it REALLY closely. So you may want to just try going back to where you start the gusset and increasing needle size slightly.

Made on Saturday, June 30th, 2007 @ 5:44 pm

No help here, but I just wanted to say it looks sooo awesome!

Comment by yarnsrevenge

Made on Saturday, June 30th, 2007 @ 6:23 pm

My first ever comment on *anyone’s* blog! :) What a gorgeous design!

Anyway, I have a very high instep and ran into that problem of my earlier sock attempts being much too tight on the instep. If you take a look at my Monkeys-in-progress, you’ll notice that the gusset is not the typical tight little triangle; it’s more of a, erm, trapezoid I guess?? Normally you would pick up the flap stitches, then alternate dec rows and plain rows. Instead, I’ll start off with a heel flap just a teensy bit longer than usual (say, 36 rows) and won’t decrease right away. In the case of my Monkeys, after picking up the stitches, I knit 6 plain rows, dec, knit 4 plain rows, dec, knit 2 plain rows, then alternated dec and plain as usual (you could make this more gradual too if you wanted.) This way my instep benefits from the roominess of the extra stitches but the stitch patterns in the rest of the sock remain the same. There might be a better way to tackle this problem but my ham-handed approach might be worth a try!

Comment by deknit

Made on Saturday, June 30th, 2007 @ 6:27 pm

wow, that pattern looks awesome!
i (almost) always don’t decrease all the sts that i increased for the gusset and heel, so that the leg will have a few more stitches than the foot (works well for my feet/legs ;-)).

Made on Saturday, June 30th, 2007 @ 9:19 pm

I’d also favor making the heel flap maybe a little longer, giving you more stitches in the gusset. I’m wondering if the twisted stitches are pulling it tighter around that area in particular, and making it a tight fit.

Comment by Stephen

Made on Sunday, July 1st, 2007 @ 6:21 pm

I hope some of the above tips help solve the gusset solutions, ’cause I’m going to want to knit that pattern (assuming you’re writing it down and sharing)!

Comment by Sophia

Made on Sunday, July 1st, 2007 @ 9:41 pm

That is a beautiful design! I also agree with lenghthening the heel flap. I wish I had done that with the Jaywalkers!