What have I been up to?

August 22, 2007 @ 1:01 am
Filed under: misc,rants

OK, I haven’t been knitting hardly at all. I’ve been so busy though. I was soooo hoping to go to the gym every day this week but Michael and co. came back from the mountains due to bad weather. So I’ve just been lazy and pretty much staying up late Skype chatting with Shannon from the SSK podcast. I love her, she is so awesome and funny and has me laughing so much! We gossip about everything and talk bad about everyone. Oh, I’m kidding. I even found myself going to Expedia and checking out the prices of how much it would cost to go to the east cost (she is in NJ). $600, not too bad. AND I can pick up Prego too! :) Ha, like I can afford it. So I told her that she needs to come and visit. See how I work? I think it’s so amazing that you can form such close bonds with someone you never met but have something in common. Do I sound like a stalker now?

I am *this* close to finishing the Billy Reid socks. But I’ve had to put it down because I am trying to write it up but can’t because the computer that the pattern is on is acting up. Hopefully I will work some magic and get it transferred to my machine. AND I found out that I only have ONE set of US1 circs. What the hell? I thought I had like 4. But I searched everywhere and I only have one and it is on the Billy Reid socks. Sucks. I REALLY need to start my Sock-It-To-Me pal’s socks. Or I need to get off my ass and buy one.

I did the fringe for my Montego Bay scarf and I like it, the fringe seems a little short though. I think for the other one I’m going to make the strips 14″ rather than 12″. It is a great scarf. Soooo boring, but it’s so nice and light.

I wore it to this photo shoot that we had for some weird German management magazine. It was for a “people in front of a white backdrop” project? Elem says that it makes sense in German. They are also going to interview us about our podcast/knitting group. I actually dressed up for the occasion, wearing jeans (hey, that’s dressed up to me), a turtleneck, my lovely scarf, and a leather jacket. And I did my hair AND I wore boots with heels. Anyways, I thought it was going to be a “fun” picture with our knitting. But no, this is Germany! We were just on the street, right in front of an apartment complex. With a huge backdrop behind us. So weird. I was so confused as what this was for. My first disappointment was when she said she was only going to do full body shots. DAMN! We kept pushing to do untraditional poses. She kept saying “smile. but not too much.” and “don’t put your hands in your pockets” and “look natural but not too casual”. geez. We were standing in the rain (ok, it was a drizzle) and it is so hard for me to be in front of the camera. I always feel I look so huge. Having the scarf to help block my huge belly helped. And she made me take off my belly hiding jacket because “the picture will make it look like it’s sunny and it will be weird for you to be wearing a jacket”. OK. I am wearing a FREAKING TURTLENECK AND SCARF! Hello! And Elem was wearing a jacket and Cashyie was wearing a cardi. WTF? So I was standing there, belly exposed and all. ugh. I have serious body issues! Then we said we wanted some fun ones and she was like “ok, at the end, only for you”. But I think those are the best. We were being silly and natural. What is the deal with these photographers? And then at the very end we all whipped out our knitting and we were soooooo happy and the photographer could tell. HA! I bet they’ll choose those because that’s really who we are. She just doesn’t understand. I felt like I had a fake smile the whole time…we’ll see how it goes. Elem said that it was for a manager magazine that you can’t buy (thank god) and it’s just handed out to managers. But they will send us copies, so that’s cool. They will probably pick the one that I look the fattest in and have the stooopidest face, always happens. My feet were so sore at the end! It was good to get those boots off.

OK, off to get more needles!

Comment by Shannon

Made on Wednesday, August 22nd, 2007 @ 7:50 am

I love you too!!!! We are going to find a way to meet! Even if you have a layover I will meet you at the airport…I have been having SO MUCH fun with you too.
Signed,
Your stalker

Comment by Sonia

Made on Wednesday, August 22nd, 2007 @ 8:47 am

You are too funny. That sounded like a long ordeal. Kudos on wearing heels though.Drizzle is rain,and that kind of weather doesn’t make anyone feel like taking their picture especially out in it. Who knows you could have taken a really good picture. With all stiffness of the photo shoot it just sound like it didn’t make for a pleasant experience at all. Also I think that was just her way of saying she didn’t like your jacket. Since when does a leather jacket scream sunny weather? Maybe that’s just me I only wear my leather jacket when its cold and what does sunny have to with it anyway? Was she a non-knitter? I haven’t met a stiff knitter yet? Or maybe managers aren’t suppose to smile.haha…Sorry for babbling its late and can’t sleep.

Made on Wednesday, August 22nd, 2007 @ 3:53 pm

what an ordeal! drizzle is almost worse than rain – like it can’t decide if it wants to rain or not….

if you come to the east coast I’d love to meet up!

Comment by KelInCal

Made on Wednesday, August 22nd, 2007 @ 7:20 pm

I’m sure you’re being MUCH too critical of yourself – seems like we all usually are! It’s actually when I think I look fine that the picture comes out poorly, so I bet you’re gold, girl. :)

I bet that scarf looked great with your outfit (I’ve so been wanting to make one, but scarf = ugh for me). At least she didn’t insist that you remove the scarf!

Comment by pamela wynne

Made on Wednesday, August 22nd, 2007 @ 7:33 pm

Oh, I really hope you can finish the Billy socks — they’ve been haunting my dreams all summer!
Also, if you can make it all the way to the U.S., I can make it out to the east coast to hang out — you should do it!

Comment by Cat

Made on Wednesday, August 22nd, 2007 @ 7:33 pm

Can’t wait to see the article. I hope that we can see it here in the states! I’m so excited you guys are being featured!! I’m sure you all look great (exposed skin and all!!)

Comment by tini

Made on Wednesday, August 22nd, 2007 @ 9:34 pm

oooh I’d love to see the pics. When the photographer took our wedding pics, I was really surprised that they came our really great, because it felt soo unnatural to stand like weird bended over :) but somehow they do have a feel for poses :) SO I bet, they’ll be great in the end :)
As to feel uncomfortable in your body: I lost 6 kg last year and everyone was like “but you are not fat”, no I’m not, but I gained 10 kg over the time of 2 yrs and they had to go ( still 4 to go…) I needed a schedule, so I took the WW online classes :)

Made on Thursday, August 23rd, 2007 @ 8:19 pm

Okay, you are crazy. I mean, in the bestest way possible. My mom is the same way. She took pictures of herself wearing the top I knitted for her, and told me she was like sucking in her belly and stuff. Boo. It makes you look like you have a stick up your butt when you do that. :D

Glad they let you take some natural pics. I agree, a lot of photographers try to hard to pose you, instead of finding a way to accent your features naturally.