My first shawl

August 30, 2007 @ 6:14 pm

One day’s work!

Detail of the main pattern

I have never made a shawl before. Mostly because I don’t wear them and no one I know wears them. But I found out that a friend of mine does!!! Yipee! A reason! I just bought some Marisilk from Sheepaints, *3* skeins. Really expensive, but Cashyie bought one skein off from me. After knitting this though, I think I may want it back. I mean, just look at that lucious color! She’ll probably say “you’ll have to pry it from my cold dead hands”. Anyways, it is the Swallowtail Shawl from Interweave Knits, Fall 2006. The cast on was really weird with the 2 sts, and then knit 6 rows, and then pick up the sts, but it worked. Now that I’m about 130+ stitches wide, it’s becoming so tedious. Just one row takes FOREVER. And it grows to 300+ or maybe even 400+. Ugh. One row will be my knitting for the day! I am so loving it though, different from scarves and socks.

I keep making mistakes around the center stitch and had to tink back a couple of rows here and there. But other than that, it’s a pretty mindless pattern. But now I have to get some blocking pins – eep! Not that I’m even close to finishing, but I know I will want to block it immediately!

Made on Thursday, August 30th, 2007 @ 6:19 pm

It looks soooo purty! :) And yeah, I know what ya mean, I don’t wear shawls either, but gosh seeing such nice ones really makes me think. hmm :)

Made on Thursday, August 30th, 2007 @ 6:26 pm

that is so pretty – the color and sheen are wonderful!

Comment by WiscJennyAnn

Made on Thursday, August 30th, 2007 @ 6:58 pm

Beautiful! I really loved knitting the Swallowtail. It might be a little tedious, but there is a nice rhythm to it after a while. Lovely in the Marisilk! Your friend is so lucky!

Comment by Deb

Made on Thursday, August 30th, 2007 @ 7:03 pm

Shawl knitting is a lot of fun– up until you’re 3/4 of the way done with a project. All of a sudden it will start to feel like pennance– torture, even. The rows get longer and longer– and it looks like you’re not making any progress.

The worst? Knitting the border (If you have one) after you’ve finished the body.

Is it worth it? Absolutely. Nothing as spectacular as finishing & blocking your beautiful new shawl!

Made on Thursday, August 30th, 2007 @ 7:03 pm

I thought it looked familiar…you’ll be amazed at how much it can grow once it’s blocked. I had a lot of fun with it and not want to make another for myself.

Made on Thursday, August 30th, 2007 @ 7:36 pm

So…gorgeous!!! I must knit a shawllllll!! Squee!

Made on Thursday, August 30th, 2007 @ 8:58 pm

LOL, now you know how I feel about Icarus.

Comment by fbz

Made on Thursday, August 30th, 2007 @ 9:14 pm

so so so gorgeous. i am not a pink person but that is beautiful. how sad that you will be done with it before benediktbeuern and i won’t get to pet it. *sigh*

Comment by Lynn

Made on Thursday, August 30th, 2007 @ 11:10 pm

That color is luscious! I’ve never knit a shawl either, for all the same reasons. :) Glad you found a recipient!

Comment by Kate

Made on Thursday, August 30th, 2007 @ 11:38 pm

One day! That is awesome! So pretty!

Comment by yvonnep

Made on Friday, August 31st, 2007 @ 12:56 am

Absolutely fabulous!!!

Comment by Kerry

Made on Friday, August 31st, 2007 @ 1:00 am

That is absolutely gorgeous!

Comment by Shannon

Made on Friday, August 31st, 2007 @ 1:29 am

Beautiful! It will look gorgeous on you!

Comment by Myriam

Made on Friday, August 31st, 2007 @ 2:31 am

I love it! what a great color. i was whining toward the end of my Mystery Stole-the wing never stopped getting mor stitches. So i don’t think i could do a Shawl. So it’s very admirable when i see others making them. Your friend is super lucky to be getting such a beautiful shawl made by you :)

Comment by Phoebe

Made on Friday, August 31st, 2007 @ 4:50 am

OMG…this is absolutely stunning! And drat I missed out on the first Taste of Germany! love the #2 Montego Bay scraf as well.

Comment by Auntlyh H

Made on Friday, August 31st, 2007 @ 5:41 am

I love it! That’s a great color. Maybe you should give it to me when you’re done…. :)

Comment by knittingphilistine

Made on Sunday, September 2nd, 2007 @ 7:12 pm

Holy crap, that’s gorgeous!! And such beautiful sheen! Lace knitting was certainly no match for you!

Comment by scout

Made on Monday, September 3rd, 2007 @ 4:56 pm

It’s so pretty!!

Comment by KimT

Made on Tuesday, September 4th, 2007 @ 4:53 am

love the color!

Comment by Dipsy D.

Made on Wednesday, September 5th, 2007 @ 8:00 am

Oh my gosh, this shawl is extremely beautiful! What an amazing pattern, and I so love the warm and calm color you’ve been using for it! This one’s a winner for sure – great work!

Comment by Ebony

Made on Saturday, September 8th, 2007 @ 11:08 am

It looks great! I felt the same way about the Swallowtail I did. Unfortunately, I KNOW my mom won’t let me take it back. Lucky for me, I’ve got more of the yarn to make another. I even lost the magazine with the pattern (crazy cleaning day) and then ordered another one just for the pattern!