My Sockiversary

September 5, 2007 @ 9:16 am
Filed under: misc

My very first sock

Before there was a knitting blog, I had/have a personal blog about the family with a few knitting posts. When I started my knitting blog, I migrated some posts over so I don’t really have a blog start date. So I decided to have a “sockiversary” instead of a blogiversary!

On September 5, 2006, I completed my first sock. It was horrible, the gauge was super loose (I had no idea what I was doing), but still wearable. I have never knit with yarn that thin and needles that small, never knitted with dpns before, I didn’t know anything about socks, I didn’t really know the whole world of knit-blogging and podcasting. I was participating in Secret Pal 8, and my upstream pal, Ingrid, sent me some sock yarn since my downstream pal, Michelle, was so into it and I had to know what the deal was. She got me a skien of Cherry Tree Hill super sock and I did the “potluck sock” pattern from their website. It was a simple ribbed sock.

That’s where it all began…And I can’t even begin to tell you what happened in the year since. Serious lifestyle changes, lots of yarn purchased, lots of knitting, lots of blogging, befriended lots of knit-bloggers, lots of picture taking (I am ashamed to admit there are more pictures of yarn than my kids!) and learned how to take better photos of yarn and socks. I joined the local SNB group and then it started to really go crazy! I met my partners in crime, Elem and Cashyie. Elem introduced me to Wollmeise yarn, although he himself hasn’t had any sock yarn, so we went down the crazy Wollmeise path together, and brought lots of people with us! We even started a crazy podcast and I’ve started dealing out the crack yarn to habitual users (Taste of Germany).

I have 26 finished objects – 17 pairs of socks (and several single socks), 7 scarves and 2 bags. Wow, I haven’t counted it all until now and I’m quite pleased with myself!!! :)

It’s fun to look back and see all that I’ve accomplished. Looking forward to the next year to see what knitting brings!

Made on Wednesday, September 5th, 2007 @ 10:08 am

Happy Sockiversary! That’s a great post and I’m glad I could pull you and other people down the Wollmeise path with me. :-p

Made on Wednesday, September 5th, 2007 @ 2:12 pm

Happy Sockiversary! Wow…that makes me an enabler as well. What if I’d matched you with spinners instead of “sockers”. Think of all the feet that are warmer because you’ve knit them socks!

Comment by Auntlyh H

Made on Wednesday, September 5th, 2007 @ 2:29 pm

happy sockiversary! What a great year.

Comment by Shannon

Made on Wednesday, September 5th, 2007 @ 3:26 pm

happy Hapy!-Does that mean NEXT year it will be your Shawliversary?

Comment by wendee

Made on Wednesday, September 5th, 2007 @ 4:11 pm

First socks are FUN to remember! I did felted slippers because I was too afraid of itty bitty DPs. 17 pairs! Wow! And lots of singles… that sounds familiar. Happy Sockiversary!

Comment by Jessica

Made on Wednesday, September 5th, 2007 @ 4:18 pm

Hooray! I remember my first pair of socks, the gauge was also all loosey-goosey, they got overdyed a weird pink color and felted slightly when I accidentally threw them in the wash with a bright purple skirt, and I’ve repaired one hole. But I still love ‘em and wear them as often as my fancier knit socks.

Made on Wednesday, September 5th, 2007 @ 4:26 pm

:) How neat!!! Happy Sockivarsary!!!!!

Comment by Zonda

Made on Wednesday, September 5th, 2007 @ 4:51 pm

Cool! Happy Sockiversary!

Made on Wednesday, September 5th, 2007 @ 10:43 pm

HAPPY SOCKIVERSARY! happy sockiversary! Sorry, I am excited. Too much caffiene. Anyways, Hooray and congrats! I am so glad you got the sock bug, you’re an awesome knitter. Besides without you and Elem, who would have influenced me to buy Wollmeise?!

Comment by KelInCal

Made on Wednesday, September 5th, 2007 @ 11:47 pm

Happy Sockiversary! That’s a lot of stuff for one year!

Made on Thursday, September 6th, 2007 @ 12:50 am

Happy sockday! Wow – you have a great pile of FO’s. I’m glad to be stumbling down this wollmeise path with you – and glad to have found the addicts group and your podcast for further “bad yarn influence”!:) You rock!

Comment by Lynn

Made on Thursday, September 6th, 2007 @ 2:10 am

Go you!
Thanks for sharing the ride with us….and your wollmeise!

Comment by Sonia

Made on Thursday, September 6th, 2007 @ 2:18 am

Happy Sockiversary!! You enabler you. Amazing how one can go down the knitting rabbit hole in Knitting Land.haha..I recently got my invite to Ravelry(Knit4many) and started to post my projects and started to think goodness I’m never going to get them all up then I started to think about all the gifts and charities I’ve knitted for. Truly amazing what can happen in a year, you should be real proud of yourself. Great FO’s, great blog and podcast. Speaking of which I’m going to listen to tonight.

Comment by pamela wynne

Made on Thursday, September 6th, 2007 @ 3:54 am

Oh. My. Gawd. Just one year from that first sock to the Vista Mares?? You’re a sock-knitting superhero. Happy Sockiversary!

Comment by Amy

Made on Friday, September 7th, 2007 @ 12:03 am

Yay for sockiversaries! And 26 FOs!

Comment by deknit

Made on Friday, September 7th, 2007 @ 8:55 pm

Happy sockiversary! So many FOs in just one year, very impressive.

Made on Saturday, September 8th, 2007 @ 3:34 am

Awww happy sockiversary! :)

Comment by Phoebe

Made on Saturday, September 8th, 2007 @ 7:14 am

Happy Sockanniversary! It brings back memories for me. Wow, you have accomplished a lot in one year…the level of intricacy has increased astronomically. I decided to only have one of my first sock that I could keep around as a memento. My first and second true pairs actually went to a good friend and my mom.

Comment by schrodinger