Help me with care instructions

September 17, 2007 @ 3:17 pm
Filed under: misc,shawls

OK, this is something that I’ve been wondering for awhile now. I am going to give the swallowtail to my friend, but what should I say for the care instructions? I mean, if she washes it, she would have to block it again in order to get those points, right? Can I say “just don’t get it dirty” or “dry clean only”? Does that work? I would feel awful to give someone something that wouldn’t be the same if she washed it.

Help me please!!! Thanks!

Comment by Nadine

Made on Monday, September 17th, 2007 @ 4:44 pm

Hi there! Well, I would rather include a note telling her how to clean up maybe a bit of the shawl here and there and then tell her that if it needs to be washed you’d be happy to reblock it for her. That is what my mum did when she painted on silk. After seeing what friends did to cushions and scarves (washer, dryer, hot iron) she told them that she’d do it for them so that the items survived. Dry clean often kills things even more than a gentle handwashing would.
Or provide a link to a blocking tutorial. :)

Comment by Jessica

Made on Monday, September 17th, 2007 @ 4:45 pm

I gave both my aunts lace doilies a few years ago, and I explained to them how to block the doilies after washing (one aunt was passing familiar with blocking, the other wasn’t). I also told them that since it’s a gift, if they want to send it back to me for a proper re-blocking I would be more than happy to do that for them. Hopefully since it’s a shawl it won’t have too much opportunity to get dirty. You could do that, but I think it would also be acceptable to tell her to just dry clean it.

Comment by tini

Made on Monday, September 17th, 2007 @ 5:35 pm

it depends… if it is a knitter I would just say, that the might have to re-block. If it is a non-knitter I would tell her how to :)

Comment by Sonia

Made on Monday, September 17th, 2007 @ 6:58 pm

I would tell them to hand wash it,lay flat to dry and re-shape( that’s how instructions are written for special care items).That way it sounds more doable, I know if I tell some to block something they always think its so much harder than what it really is. You could explain them how to block it or offer to block it for them.
How’s Rowan elbow doing? Hope you had a good weekend.

Comment by Holly

Made on Monday, September 17th, 2007 @ 7:44 pm

How about an offer to block the swallowtail once a year if the giftee is not a knitter?

Comment by WonderMike

Made on Tuesday, September 18th, 2007 @ 12:37 am

I think it’s perfectly acceptable to say that it needs to be handwashed and blocked. If possible, offer to walk them through it the first time. Another opportunity to visit and show them how much you care about them!

Comment by schrodinger

Made on Tuesday, September 18th, 2007 @ 2:22 am

Glad you’ve got some good suggestions there – sorry I wasn’t much help :(

Comment by Becca

Made on Tuesday, September 18th, 2007 @ 3:54 am

I think that depends on how interested/familiar she is with the process of blocking. If she wants to learn I would show her how to do it. If not, I would just include a coupon with the gift for a free cleaning.

I’ve knit several shawls for family members, and told them to send them back to me if they need to be cleaned. Of course I’m assuming they wouldn’t need me to do this on a regular basis, barring accidental dredging through something messy.

Made on Tuesday, September 18th, 2007 @ 3:54 am

I’ll face the same dilemma when I give Icarus to my mum…and I doubt she’d ever bother with blocking. I guess I’ll just have to tell her not to get it dirty.

Comment by Ebony

Made on Tuesday, September 18th, 2007 @ 6:20 am

A little lesson in blocking might come in handy. Think back to the fact that before you were a knitter you just followed those care directions for sweaters you bought and took them all to the dry cleaners. Now you know it’s not really required. She might appreciate knowing how to clean other garments without having to shell out the money for the cleaners regularly.

Made on Tuesday, September 18th, 2007 @ 7:09 am

Do post to let us know how things went and what you decided to go with. :)

Comment by Karen

Made on Tuesday, September 18th, 2007 @ 3:40 pm

I think I would offer to wash and re-block as needed too. I know it’s more work for you, but it just feels like the right thing to do. :)