I am very thankful

November 24, 2007 @ 3:12 am
Filed under: misc,secret pal

We don’t really celebrate Thanksgiving anymore. One, we’re in Germany where we don’t get a holiday on Thursday and Friday. Two, we don’t have a whole lot of family here to celebrate with. Three, you need to order a turkey like 2 weeks to a month in advance. And finally Four, I can’t cook a darn turkey or anything else for that matter. And again Five, I’m freaking lazy and would rather be knitting. In previous years, we have been invited over to other people’s houses for dinner, but I think they’re onto us and realize that we’re just moochin’ off of them. ;)

I am very thankful for having a wonderful family who makes me laugh AND cry at the same time and who will put up with my extreme focus on knitting and other pursuits. The boys can drive me up the wall, but then be incredibly sweet and funny a moment later. And also for a husband who is very patient and supportive and still cracks me up.

I am also thankful for the many packages I received today. The first one is from my SP11, Heli in Finnland. She emailed me and said “the last package will be a small one” and OMG, she totally lied and surprised me! All of her packages had a color theme – the first one was blue, the next was red, and this one is greeeeeeenn! I got one big skein of a Finnish lamb yarn, which she says felts really nicely, one 150g skein of 75/25 sock yarn, 200g of a bamboo/nylon blend, chocolate (of course!) and a cute little wood mouse pin, which was made in a place that is only 1 km from where she lives. She has been an amazing pal and my stash has been super greatly enhanced. I think all the yarn she sent me probably will take up one of my bins! (pictures coming soon)

The next package I got was from Finnland as well, from a Katrina(?). I am so sorry, but I don’t remember what this was for! I am totally drawing a blank!!! She sent me some really cool “pre yarn” that she says could either be knitted up as is and then felted or could be needle felted, or I could give it to Elem or Fbz and have them spin it up for me! ;) And then she included some Green & Black’s Almond chocolate. This person obviously knows me and it’s driving me nuts not knowing who this is. I really do apologize for not remembering – please email me or comment to let me know! (pictures coming soon)

Are Finnish people cool or what? I love them!!! On an unrelated note, why is Grape Nuts neither grapes nor nuts? Discuss.

I have been feverishly knitting hats for gifts for the boys’ kindergarten teachers. I knitted 3 so far so I have one more to go. First I planned to make them socks, then it was scarves and now that I’m so pressured for time, hats. They take only a day or two to make and is very useful. I have seen all of them wearing knitted hats (albeit store bought) so I’m sure they will put these to good use. Michael has been bothering me to make one for him too, so somehow I need to squeeze that into the mix. He also wants a scarf too. I guess since he ultimately pays for the yarn I should at least do that for him! :)

On Sunday we are going to have a birthday party for the boys, they will be 3 next Tuesday. My, how time flies! They like to say “buzz ear” and “ee eeinee … an ayon!” I’m wondering if anyone else knows what they’re saying? C’mon take a guess…

Comment by fbz

Made on Saturday, November 24th, 2007 @ 5:07 am

i’d say they watched toy story a few too many times *wink*. i like infinities too (uncountable ones mostly), since i’m math geek and all. i’m sure elemm will jump on the opportunity to spin anything that comes withing 10 meters of him, but if not, then i would gladly spin up some fiber for you. i want to visit finland, i was chatting with someone from ravelry in finland today too. small world.

Comment by Kellie

Made on Saturday, November 24th, 2007 @ 6:53 am

hehehe, my 31 month old is on a total Shrek kick at the moment! I was just saying to my DH that we should get the Toy Stories for him, lol.

Comment by Mevrouw Walvis

Made on Saturday, November 24th, 2007 @ 10:16 am

I’m the mystery Finn:) Enjoy the yarn! (And the chocolate, of course;))

Comment by tini

Made on Saturday, November 24th, 2007 @ 10:55 am

we had a turkey feast last week for 12 persons and we just made the turkey, the stuffing and brussel sprouts. The rest, the guest brought with them, since I made everything last year and I won’t go there again ;) Turkey is sooooo easy to make and I don’t even touched it ;) Heikos work….

The yarn sounds yummy! Please make some pics ;)

Comment by claire

Made on Saturday, November 24th, 2007 @ 9:53 pm

They call them grape nuts because they figured no one would buy them if they were called rat nuts!

Made on Sunday, November 25th, 2007 @ 12:44 am

Wow, sounds like you have an awesome secret pal. Can’t wait for some pics. :)

Comment by Laurie

Made on Sunday, November 25th, 2007 @ 8:42 pm

14 years and I still can’t cook a turkey. DH picked up the whole dinner at a local restaurant and it was SO much easier. :-) Just us 2 anyway.

ALL knitters are cool!

And Grape Nuts? When you start to choke on one you turn the color of a grape. And when you finally hawk it up you think you’d be nuts to eat ‘em again!

Made on Monday, November 26th, 2007 @ 1:01 am

As a former hostess (having seen the parcels they send), I can tell you that a Finn pal is a GREAT thing!