Going a little hat crazy!

December 4, 2007 @ 11:39 am

I am a hat knitting machine!

Rowan with the new chullo cap

So the last couple of weeks has been full of knitting hats. 6 are done and I’m working on a 7th! I made 1 Amanda Hat and after it was done, I thought it would be too colorful for the german teachers. So then I made 4 Coronet hats out of different colors of shaded solid malabrigo. Man, do I love malabrigo! It’s cheap (even in Germany!), soft and sooooo pretty! Then Elijah lost his hat (my favorite hat) – it was a simple black hat that was made out of a recycled cashmere sweater. It was a square shape and it had little bells in the corners. The most simple but adorable hat ever! I didn’t make it myself, I bought it from a now defunct store called “Woolywooly” and I bought it before they were born.

So of course I had to make him a new one! I chose to make the “chulla cap” from Mission Falls Just Kidding book. I love Mags Kandis, she has a really great design style. It took about 1.5 days to knit and 1.5 days to do the finishing touches. Thank god our SnB group met while I was making this and a new girl, Kim, taught me how to do the crochet parts for the little shisha mirrors. I loved doing that part, way more than I thought I would. I also learned how to do French knots!!! I am a super terrible seamer though, the seam is the most ugliest part of the hat. And then I found out that I knitted the whole thing in 1 needle size too small (oops!).

I was so excited to show him his new hat and have him proudly wear it, only to get shut down. He didn’t want anything to do with it! So luckily my other son is not as afraid of new things as Elijah is, so he wore the new hat and Elijah wore Rowan’s. :( This morning I bribed Elijah to wear his new hat with some gummi bears. That worked. So hopefully now he will wear it regularly. I just love the shape and colors of the hat, it is so unusual and cute. Even though I hate multi colors and weaving in the ends, the end product was so pleasing that I’m looking forward to doing another one.

So now I’m knitting a hat for Michael, who has begged me for one. He wants one with ear flaps so I chose Swell from Knitty.com. I am done with the pattern part, and I’m on the decreases, so I should be done today. I think I will also add some edging because it looks so unfinished without it.

So now is the final stretch, to get everything we need to get done for our trip to the states. I am so excited to go to Texas because I will have one day to go on a yarn shopping extravaganza!!! Watch out! I’m also hoping to meet up with some other knitters, especially in Hawaii!

I also still need to take pictures of my stuff from Heli, my SP11. The light has been really bad lately, and I’m too lazy to pull out the lights. And the chocolate is all gone! :) But that is one of my goals for this week to get done. Sorry, Heli!!! I promise I will do it!

Comment by Tanja

Made on Tuesday, December 4th, 2007 @ 2:42 pm

He’s such a cute little boy!!

Made on Tuesday, December 4th, 2007 @ 3:07 pm

What an adorable hat! I’d be tempted to make an adult sized one!

Comment by Heli

Made on Tuesday, December 4th, 2007 @ 5:21 pm

Oh, take your time… The light has been even worse here, and I still don’t know for sure who my pal was – she hasn’t revealed herself but instead has sent me really gorgeous packages…. And I’ve been too tired to blog in English – sorry :)

Comment by Sabi

Made on Tuesday, December 4th, 2007 @ 5:24 pm

Ayyyyyy, SOOO CUUUUUUUTE!
If Elijah doesn’t want it, I TAKE IT!!!!!
LOOOOOOOVE THE little mirrors.. where did you get these?
And I didn’t know, that one of your little boys is called Rowan… now isn’t that a lovely Name ;D

Comment by Tamara

Made on Tuesday, December 4th, 2007 @ 7:19 pm

Oh my goodness. Rowan, you are tooooooooo CUTE!!!

The hat is adorable too!

Made on Wednesday, December 5th, 2007 @ 12:03 am

Omigosh! He’s grown SO much!!! What a cutie!!!! (The hat is too!)

Made on Wednesday, December 5th, 2007 @ 6:05 am

He’s such a cutie! The hat is so awesome!

Comment by Ulli

Made on Wednesday, December 5th, 2007 @ 8:32 am

Very beautiful hat! And Rowan is just too cute! Have fun on your trip. I wish I could go with you