OMG, I suck at seaming

December 9, 2007 @ 5:47 am
Filed under: rants

This is why I do not do garments. I really really really suck at seaming. I’m trying to finish my Striped Lily the Pink for tomorrow (that’s when I have to give it to the recipient and it’s close to 5am) and I’m about to cry. All I have to do is attach the arm to the body, I’m trying to do an “invisible” seam but it is more like an ugly seam. I can’t do other seam stitches because the seaming yarn can’t show through. Am I missing something here? Why doesn’t it look like the pictures????? Argh, I have until 3pm, and I really think I will not make it.

…tears…

Made on Sunday, December 9th, 2007 @ 7:25 am

Go to bed!!! Never seam (or do any other job you hate) when you are tired. Look at it with fresh eyes in the morning!!!! Now TO BED WITH YOU!!!!

Made on Sunday, December 9th, 2007 @ 9:15 am

I second Bobbi. Go to bed! Things will look a lot better and you can concentrate better after you’ve slept. :-)

Made on Sunday, December 9th, 2007 @ 4:35 pm

Well, you have since gone to bed I assume. Having some more light and a fresh head will help. Not sure what the “invisible” seam is. Is it like mattress stitch or whatever? I assume it is, if so, the hints I have been given are, start at the top, work your way to the underarm. Then stop, go back and do the other side. Erg. My wording makes no sense. I think I need sleep.

Comment by bookgrump

Made on Sunday, December 9th, 2007 @ 5:12 pm

Rested eyes and great light are absolute musts for seaming. The other thing that I’ve found really, really helps are these little things called Knit Clips. You use them to clip the garment together so that you know exactly how the thing is going to fit together. (In a pinch, you can also use the small hair clips.)

Comment by YTT

Made on Sunday, December 9th, 2007 @ 6:46 pm

I feel your pain. Have you ever tried a crochet seam? I just discovered it and it seems to me so much easier and so much better-looking as a way to join a cap sleeve to a sweater body. You just line it up on the wrong side and chain-stitch with the crochet hook. I’ve only done one so far and it looks MUCH better than all my other sweaters.

Anyway, hope you are feeling better about it, one way or another.

Comment by Auntlyh H

Made on Sunday, December 9th, 2007 @ 8:25 pm

Do you have a copy of Knitter’s Companion? I think she does a good job illustrating seaming (in all directions).
Sleep is helpful, too.

Comment by tini

Made on Sunday, December 9th, 2007 @ 9:57 pm

I would just slip-stitch them. The mum wouldn’t know the difference…

Comment by alala

Made on Sunday, December 9th, 2007 @ 10:27 pm

Sorry I didn’t see this sooner, but I’d’ve just said what the others did: sleep on it, and try again with fresh eyes. So, how’d it go?

Comment by fbz

Made on Sunday, December 9th, 2007 @ 10:54 pm

*hugs* simple seams is what it’s all about. the vogue ultimate knitting book has some great how-to’s on seaming.