Off to a bad start…

January 6, 2008 @ 2:56 pm
Filed under: misc

#1 of 3 felted clogs (cascade 220)

My new silk!!! Yummmmy!

this is his “breezy” look

First, a little bit about new year’s resolutions. I don’t make them, I don’t believe in them. For me, it is just a list that would be made of stuff I want to do and that I know I will never accomplish and it will make me feel bad about myself that I didn’t do it or continue it or whatever. So I just live life how I want to, make some changes here and there when necessary and that’s it. I have goals, but I keep them separate and small and accomplishable.

So I spent the first day of the new year untangling a whole freaking skein (all 400 yds of it) because I just HAD to cast on and since I don’t have a ball winder/swift, I had to do it by hand and it got really seriously messed up. It took me about 3 days to undo it all. It is 100% silk, so it’s not the best yarn to be messing up. Now I’m really upset at doing this since I feel like it ruined it’s nice sheen. Hopefully the pattern in the lace will distract! :) The yarn I speak of is sunsilk from Sunshine Yarns. I was eyeing this yarn for a couple of days, and I was real hesitant to order it, but I went for it and boy am I glad. It is really gorgeous stuff and the color is just amazing. I had to put this yarn away so that I could finish the 2nd pair of felted clogs first (it was painful to knit what I *had* to vs. what I wanted to).

So in the mean time, I knitted 3 pairs of clogs, 1 of the Lamb’s Pride, which I ran out of yarn so had to make some adjustments. And two with cascade 220. I prefer the Cascade 220, much less hairy AND it’s stiffer (good for clogs at least) AND cheaper AND you get a little more yardage. Although the Lamb’s Pride has a more uniform felt to it (no holes). And let me tell you, I love felting in a top loader. Complete difference and dreamy. I think I may have said this in my last post, I can’t remember. Anyhoo, I am felting the 2nd pair now and instead of boiling water and slaving over a sink with tired arms, I’m sitting here writing this post. I wanted to make the boys some new house shoes since the ones they had broke. And really, it would’ve been way cheaper (and easier) to just buy new ones, but I was determined. My mom is threatening to get a front loader and I’m trying to convince her what a great machine she has! Help!

I also went to my first Aloha Knitters meeting and it was so much fun! It was a big group – there were quite a few visitors, me included. But it was nice to meet fellow Ravelers who I’ve only seen on blogs/pictures/projects. And of course, Hawaii people always have stuff to talk about. I even met the famous MK Carroll, whose womb you may have seen/knit. AND to top it off, MK was destashing and guess who ended up with a whole bunch of hemp yarn? ME! and for $5! I have been wanting to try hemp and linen for awhile but didn’t want to invest the money quite yet, and lo and behold. I have several small skeins of multiple colors, so I don’t think I can make 1 thing with it, maybe just a whole bunch of dishcloths, which is great to see how it softens up. And also to make me buy hemp yarn in some point in the future, I’m sure. Another knitter, Michelle, made off with a large lot of hemp, and I curse her! (just kidding, she is a really nice gal who enjoyed talking about my son’s heart condition at length).

I have also been pimping out stickers for Knitters Uncensored and feel like a rock star. Just kidding, just the opposite, in fact! I’ve been going to knit shops and groups in the Houston area and in Hawaii and hardly anyone has heard of us. Maybe one or two people. Maybe someone will know me/us in Seattle? ;) But, I’m hoping that people will like me enough to listen to the podcast and give us a try…or recoil in horror. I do warn people that we’re very risque (don’t know how to do that accent french thingy).

OMG, I can’t stop buying things. The bad thing about coming to a country whose currency is less than yours (especially the US) is that you end up buying SO MUCH STUFF because everything is on sale! OMG, the yarn I have acquired these past few weeks and I still have more coming. My sister got me a gift certificate from BMFA and several skeins just plopped into my shopping cart.

I also included a pic of the alpaca scarf that I knitted for Michael before he left to go back to Germany. He had to model it in very hot weather, so I told him to look breezy.

Anyhoo, so now I’m off to cast on Print o the Wave with my new silk. I was kind of disappointed that it’s not a pattern that I can use up every inch of yarn. But I’ve been obsessing over it the last couple of weeks and can’t wait to start! I want to show something to the knit group next week!

Comment by yvonnep

Made on Sunday, January 6th, 2008 @ 3:55 pm

It sounds like you have a great time, except for the untangling. That’s quite an ordeal of patience. Brrrr… had to do it last summer twice because of the same carelessness. Your silk is beautiful! And the scarf looks really breezy.

Made on Sunday, January 6th, 2008 @ 4:55 pm

Hey Rock Star! So glad you are enjoying your trips – and getting lots of yarn for your stash. I can’t wait to see your stole in the new gorgeous silk! And thank you for my stickers:)

Comment by tini

Made on Sunday, January 6th, 2008 @ 6:24 pm

I bet Michael will love his scarf back here in Germany where it is pretty cold :)
The clogs look great too ( and cozy,I need to look into my stash and see if I can find something that will felt)
I have felted in my frontloader already too, since you can put it to 90° C and if you add Persil everything will felt. Maybe you should put a tennisball or a pair of flip-flops into it too :)

Comment by WiscJennyAnn

Made on Sunday, January 6th, 2008 @ 6:25 pm

OMG, I so feel you: I had to wrestle with some sea silk back in December for some holiday knitting. Let’s just say that the pressure of saving the silk and the pressure of finishing for a deadline do not mix well. I am also feeling you, re: things going on “exchange rate” sale. Soon I will head to Sweden and fully intend to save my butt off so that when I return to the States I can go craaaazy at the LYS. (We’ll see how well that works. Heh.) Love the clogs, love the silk, love the breezy look!

Made on Sunday, January 6th, 2008 @ 11:38 pm

You sure are on a roll, aren’t you?

Comment by debbie

Made on Monday, January 7th, 2008 @ 1:00 am

those clogs look so nice and cozy! and it was so nice to see you at aloha knitters! next meet-up (this thursday) donna from randomknits.net is due to pay us a visit; hope you can make it too, it’s nice to have out-of-towners!

Comment by Kristan

Made on Monday, January 7th, 2008 @ 2:28 am

OMG. I’m listening to episode 11 (my first), and I had to stop eating because it’s making me laugh and spit out my food. And hey, I’m in Seattle!

Comment by Tink

Made on Wednesday, January 9th, 2008 @ 2:34 am

Kris, for the record, I have a ball winder and swift, so if you need it in your last few days here, gimme a shout!!

Comment by kim

Made on Sunday, January 13th, 2008 @ 9:13 am

Hi Chris! Hope you blog about your experiences with Print o’ the Wave, I’m curious… Your Hanami was so beautiful at Mocha Java the other night, I think it’s got to go in my 2008 queue!

Comment by Courtney

Made on Monday, January 14th, 2008 @ 5:06 am

I love the felted clogs :-)