Aloha to Aloha Knitters

January 14, 2008 @ 11:59 am

The Aloha Knitters

What should I do for the edging???

So, this past Thursday, I went to my second meeting with the Aloha Knitters at Mocha Java. Again, it was super crowded with lots and lots of knitters! I didn’t even get to talk to everyone! I met up with tink and encouraged her to attend her first meeting (even though she lives here, she needed a push to go). She also graciously offered her ball winder/swift since she read my last post and I had to ball up my 2nd skein of silk. Thanks so much tink! The Aloha Knitters is a really great group, I consider this my “second home” knitting group, they make everyone feel welcome, even visitors. There was also Donna from Australia, who I sat across from and she was hilarious! I will always remember the conversation we had about David Reidy. I also talked about marathon running with blogless Michelle (she’s trying to get me to do it! uhhhh…yeah….ok…), and convinced several others to knit the Hanami stole. I seriously think I am doing a “hanami tour” because everyone I’ve showed it to oooohs and aaaahs over it. I wish I could count how many people I’ve enabled! I also destashed my Wollmeise (one skein of Amazonas left) because I needed to make room in my suitcase. Almost all of it was snatched up as soon as I pulled it out of my bag. Why is there no Amazonas love? I really like that colorway! I won’t be able to attend another meeting since I will be going to Seattle the next week and then I’m heading home the week after. I will really miss them! Until next year…

I am working on my Print ‘o the Wave stole and guess what? There was an error in the amounts required so I won’t have enough yarn to finish. I am contemplating what to do. I started some of the edging but it is really obvious there is no way it will be enough. I emailed Dani (Sunshine Yarns) to see if she can dye me up another skein, but she is out of the sillk at the moment! ARGH! And even if she did have some, it won’t be the same color. Any suggestions? The center panel is gorgeous though, I am really pleased with it.

Other than that, I’ve been visiting some friends and family and just relaxing. and knitting. Oh, and I’ve decided to get the clap. :) Wollmeise Raku-Regenbogen clap. Yum!

Comment by fbz

Made on Monday, January 14th, 2008 @ 2:39 pm

oh i think i may know the michelle who runs, i did a swap with a michelle from oahu — some feltable new zealand tweedy stuff (and of course some wollmeise sock yarn) i had for some mohair she had. on knitting news, i am stuck with my print o’ the wave, i have no clue the ratio of stitches i should pick up around the edge and haven’t had the patience to play with it. travelling now, so knitting socks on bamboo dpn’s — not my favorite but airplane friendly. *hugs* from amsterdam!

Made on Monday, January 14th, 2008 @ 4:08 pm

I don’t have enough lace experience to lend any good advice but the center piece is beautiful! Wow! And I cannot wait to see the Clap – maybe motivate me to get back to the second half of my own? I’m counting on you:) Have a safe flight home!

Comment by Shannon

Made on Monday, January 14th, 2008 @ 4:33 pm

Looks like so much fun! The get together not the running out of yarn part-have a great time in Seattle!

Comment by yvonnep

Made on Monday, January 14th, 2008 @ 11:01 pm

Oh, this looks like a lot of fun!

Comment by debbie

Made on Tuesday, January 15th, 2008 @ 5:17 am

your print ‘o the wave stole looks gorgeous! thanks for bringing teri, i hope she becomes a regular; i myself have just started coming to the meetings the later part of last year….have a safe tour home….

Comment by Courtney

Made on Tuesday, January 15th, 2008 @ 7:42 am

That stole is really pretty, I would do a simple border. :-)

Comment by monica

Made on Tuesday, January 15th, 2008 @ 9:51 pm

I also ran out of yarn when I knit the PoTW stole. (I didn’t realize there was an error in the yarn requirements. Duh!) I couldn’t get the same dye lot for the edge so I ended up using a darker shade of the same color for the edge. I think it turned out okay. You could definitely knit the edge using a different color and it would look pretty.

Comment by Opal

Made on Wednesday, January 16th, 2008 @ 12:03 am

So sorry about the PoTW stole! How frustrating!

It was great meeting you and I look forward to seeing you again next year. That’s not just because of the Wollmeise either. :)