My peeps are in Seattle

January 18, 2008 @ 8:59 am
Filed under: misc,yarn

So I arrived in Seattle last night and my sister picked me up from the airport. Awesome flight – on time and super empty. I even rented one of those “dig-E-whatevers” (ON THE PLANE!!!) and enjoyed knitting to whatever movies were on it. I got a LOT done on the clapotis on the plane. It was my hope to finish or almost finish it, but sadly, I also took a little nap. Why can’t all airlines have these movie players? It would help A LOT with the kids.

This morning I went back to the airport to get my rental car. Basically, they had a “4 day special” so if I rented it last night, it would’ve been $20/day but if I rented it this morning, $7/day. Go figure! So my sister works right next to the transit center so I just caught a ride with her in the morning and caught the bus to the airport. I really miss the trains of Munich! But I got the car and I was forced to purchase the freakishly expensive insurance because I don’t have insurance in the US (the credit card kind doesn’t count). So at least I had a $7 car.

Anyhooz, guess where I went first? No, it was NOT a yarn store. RED MILL BURGERS! (ok, I went to a friend’s house and we went together, but still) Still THE BEST burgers in the WORLD. I’m not exaggerating. I wish I could go every day! :) After that, I went to Weaving Works in the University District. While they had a fine selection of yarns and an EXCELLENT selection of Koigu (I walked away with 4 skeins of that), nothing else really struck my fancy. Maybe I’m yarned out. Nah!

After that, I had what could only be described as a yarn-gasm-tastical few hours with Wendee of Hazel Knits. We met in an unusual way (you’ll have to listen to the next podcast episode to find out how), but only today met in person. And I think we talked non-stop. She has a market coming up on the weekend so I didn’t want to take out time from her day, so I volunteered to help. OMG, being with all that gorgeous yarn was the best thing ever. ever. ever. She has a specially spun merino yarn that is fantastically squishy, very similar to STR. And the colors, oh the colors! Chocolatier is relatively new and ooooohhhhh to dye for!!! And did you see these mittens??!!! Holy crap, to DYE for! She is the nicest person and we never ran out of things to talk about. I learned so much about dyeing and how much love and attention she puts into her work, I have so much respect for indie dyers. She gave me the “tedious” task of reskeining and rinsing, but I had the time of my life! It was a blast and I’m glad that I helped at least a little! Thanks so much Wendee for taking the time out of our busy schedule to visit with me!!!

After that, I went to the West Seattle knitting group and they were a lot of fun too! It was a smallish group – maybe around 7 or 8 people but all very nice and they were so inviting and 2 of them actually listened to the podcast! I think when we were discussing what we talk about with the other knitters (who haven’t listened before), they were in shock. Heehee! But it was all good, they were a great bunch of folks to hang out with!

Now I’m headed off to bed (before midnight!) with a smile and a suitcase full of yarn! :) The rest of the weekend I’m going to be visiting with some friends and then go to one more yarn shop (Hilltop). I think that will be the end of my “US yarn crawl”. I wish I could go to one more knitting group, but unfortunately, there are no meetups on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays!

Comment by jennie

Made on Friday, January 18th, 2008 @ 10:39 am

Oh wow!! Sounds like you’re having a blast. I’m so jealous!

Comment by Opal

Made on Friday, January 18th, 2008 @ 10:54 am

That Chocolatier is to die for! Too bad it’s sold out. Actually, maybe it’s better that way. I kind of went off the deep end with the sock yarn buying this month. :)

Glad to hear you’re having such a great time in Seattle!

Comment by Froggiegirl

Made on Friday, January 18th, 2008 @ 1:15 pm

I have to agree with you on Wendee’s sock yarn, it is sooo wonderful. I knit up a pair of socks in Chocolatier and they turned out great. Had to buy another skein of her sock yarn before they were done so that I wouldn’t go into withdrawl.

Comment by wendee

Made on Friday, January 18th, 2008 @ 7:37 pm

I had a great time too!! You can come see any time you like. And run the skeiner. That thing is EVIL! ha, ha. I’m bummed I didn’t tag along to the W. Seattle group. I opted for a couple of beers and lots of rinsing. Oh – and I dyed up some of the soy yarn. It’s going to be yummy!

Comment by Holly

Made on Friday, January 18th, 2008 @ 8:52 pm

You are a bad, bad influence. After seeing the picture of the Chocilatier yarn I just had to buy some for myself. I can’t wait to knit me some chocolate socks!

Comment by Jenn

Made on Friday, January 18th, 2008 @ 11:35 pm

Sounds like you are having loads of fun! And getting lots of yummy yarn…

And the in-flight movies definitely make the trip go faster…we watched three on an international flight!

Made on Saturday, January 19th, 2008 @ 2:35 am

You are having the BEST knitting holiday ever – wow! So lucky! Thanks for the tip on Hazel knits – that chocolatier and her beach glass could make some kick a** endpaper mitts – maybe so much so I would actually try stranding:) hmmmm…

Comment by Courtney

Made on Saturday, January 19th, 2008 @ 8:51 am

Sounds like your having a lot of fun :-) If I ever head up that way I will have to make sure to stop by the burger place :-) Have a good flight home.

Comment by Jill

Made on Saturday, January 19th, 2008 @ 9:58 am

Uh-oh…were the others shocked by the podcast talk? Heh. Oh well, Lisa & I love Knitters Uncensored. It was so great to meet you! thanks for coming to our SnB :)

Comment by alala

Made on Sunday, January 20th, 2008 @ 12:18 am

Augh! SO jealous. SO homesick. Happy to hear that you’re having such a great time, though.

Made on Sunday, January 20th, 2008 @ 11:17 pm

Gosh, you certainly went on a yarn binge over there, eh?

Comment by WonderMike

Made on Wednesday, February 6th, 2008 @ 1:26 am

Hazel Knits is the BOMB!!! I was turned on to her by TheADDKnitter. I got Chocolatier (natch) and Chuckanut Drive (very spring-like).