After Xmas Elf Sock Swap – anyone interested?

January 26, 2008 @ 3:43 am
Filed under: KAL

I had a thought – there are swaps out there where you knit only one sock and send it to your pal. Wonderful, but it is up to your partner to pick out yarn for you and choose a suitable pattern. Much to hard for a busy mom like me (ok, yes, I am a LAZY busy mom, but still). Then I thought, why don’t they have a swap where SOMEONE FINISHES SOMETHING YOU ALREADY STARTED!!! Sounds great eh? Like a after-xmas-elf swap. No need to buy anything, just ship what you already have – 1 finished sock, remaining yarn, needles, pattern, what not, (and a nice note/trinket or something) and then it gets returned all done! I thought that was pretty cool. Anyone else? If there’s enough interest, I may get off my lazy ass and do something formal to organize.

Some things to consider I guess:
1. Gauge issues? The person would have to match someone else’s gauge, but since they are already sending them the finished sock, I think it’s pretty easy to get it right.
2. Skill level – I would probably match people based on skill
3. Project difficulty – see #2 – It’s not like you can send out a Twisted Flower and knit a Monkey
4. Failures/issues – this is a hard one. If someone can no longer knit something, they can potentially lose a finished sock. :( Maybe if I send out a contract for people to sign saying they will send back the sock if they can’t do it??? Just kidding folks…
5. It won’t be secret. There are already a bunch of secret ones out there, and people find out who their pal is pretty darn quickly.

Comments/ideas/suggestions anyone?

Comment by stariel

Made on Saturday, January 26th, 2008 @ 6:30 am

Hmm, it sounds like a cute idea. Personally I don’t have any single socks (crazy, I know!) so unless someone wants to finish my Hush Hush…

Comment by fbz

Made on Saturday, January 26th, 2008 @ 8:29 am

the single sock swaps i’ve heard of involve you knitting for the recipient one sock, then they knit themselves the second sock after they receive it. that way shipping only happens once and you if you don’t receive the single sock from someone else you can be bummed that you knit and didn’t receive, but you aren’t bummed that the sock you knit that fits your foot didn’t get back to you. my unfinished pair right now are two-at-once, (go figure, i thought that would get them done faster) and thelonious so yeah not really a contender for this swap. dang. the other unfinished pair i am actually trucking away on the second sock on a daily basis.

Comment by knitlady

Made on Saturday, January 26th, 2008 @ 11:57 am

Sounds great to me. Is there a timelimit?

Comment by tini

Made on Saturday, January 26th, 2008 @ 6:44 pm

mmmhh, I don’t have single socks or so. I just don’t suffer second sock syndrom.
What about shipping stuff that you aren’t crazy about anymore that sits in your stash and that weights on your conscience (spelling?) and someone else has to come up with things for you and knit it? ( just small projects!)

Made on Sunday, January 27th, 2008 @ 12:29 am

I like the idea, I can really enjoy knitting just one sock knowing there won’t have to be a second one- more immediate gratification:)

Comment by alala

Made on Sunday, January 27th, 2008 @ 5:40 pm

Hm, I always knit my socks two at a time, so I probably wouldn’t be a candidate for this one. But it sounds like a great idea, and I’d be happy to cheer from the sidelines!

Comment by fbz

Made on Tuesday, January 29th, 2008 @ 11:49 pm

I finished my second sock on the second unfinished pair, so now all I have are the two-at-once thelonii that actually I have been avoiding. *ahem* I guess I’ll get right on that!

Comment by Jess

Made on Monday, February 18th, 2008 @ 11:48 pm

I love this idea! I’ve been trying to start something like this in town. I love doing the first sock, but loose steam for the second. I like the idea of making one sock for my pal and sending them everything for the 2nd but the needle. I seriously bend my dpn’s and I don’t think anyone would want to knit with them after me. :)