Knitting with handspun

February 23, 2008 @ 4:54 pm

First handspun hat

Yesterday I had a serious hankering to knit a new hat. Last year, I did a swap with Chawne (cauchy09) and she sent me some really gorgeous handspun. I didn’t knit it up right away, but I thought about it a LOT. I wanted to have the perfect pattern! It was also only around 100 yards, so it had to be small too. Back when we swapped, I didn’t make a whole lot of hats, so that didn’t even cross my mind. But yesterday, I was really really driven to make a hat and that was the first yarn to pop into my head.

I originally wanted to use the red skein, but it had less than the other color, so I thought I should be safe and use the one with more yarn. It didn’t take long to make – maybe 3 or so hours? It’s a simple “square” hat, knitted in the round on 72 sts. Then I kitchenered the top except the 4 sts on each end. Then I made some icord and voila!

I love handspun now and want to get more. Anyone up for a trade? I have LOTS of Wollmeise! :)

Pattern: my own
Yarn: Handspun from cauchy09 – Hello Yarn 100% corriedale top “trodden” – 3ply, dk/aran weight
Needles: Knit Picks options US9 circ needles
Started: February 22, 2007
Completed: February 22, 2007

Made on Saturday, February 23rd, 2008 @ 5:38 pm

Too cute!!!

Comment by tini

Made on Saturday, February 23rd, 2008 @ 5:59 pm

sooo cute.
since I still do not spin, no trade here ;)

Made on Saturday, February 23rd, 2008 @ 6:12 pm

Awww your little one looks super cute! Love the hat. :)

Comment by caruba

Made on Saturday, February 23rd, 2008 @ 6:47 pm

AWWWWWW! This is adorable! (Both kid and hat ;)

Comment by schrodinger

Made on Saturday, February 23rd, 2008 @ 7:59 pm

The hat – and model, are adorable, great way to use that handspun.

Comment by fbz

Made on Saturday, February 23rd, 2008 @ 8:37 pm

oh i am SO down for a trade! let me know what you want and i will even do something custom if you like.

Comment by Stacey

Made on Saturday, February 23rd, 2008 @ 9:17 pm

The hat is so sweet! I have a recently renewed affection for handspun too, Wollmeise is a good teaser though. You also have Elemm!! He could be a good handspun source! :)

Comment by Opal

Made on Saturday, February 23rd, 2008 @ 9:32 pm

I love the hat! It shows off the handspun to perfection. That photo is perfect too. :)

Comment by Micki

Made on Saturday, February 23rd, 2008 @ 11:18 pm

The cute factor of that photo is off the charts.

Um, I’m a spinner, and I love Wollmeise. :)

Comment by Barb

Made on Sunday, February 24th, 2008 @ 12:05 am

What a cute hat and picture!

Comment by Carla

Made on Sunday, February 24th, 2008 @ 12:20 am

Great shot and great hat!

Comment by Zonda

Made on Sunday, February 24th, 2008 @ 9:01 pm

Cute hat and model! Sorry, I don’t spin or I’d take you up on it! :)

Made on Monday, February 25th, 2008 @ 1:33 am

LOL, love the last line: “…I have LOTS of Wollmeise!”

I’m at the Wollmeise Oasis, too, so no need for a swap. But if you ever want hand-spun stuff, you know where I live. ;-)

Comment by marietta

Made on Monday, February 25th, 2008 @ 7:31 pm

adorable hat and cutest kid photo EVER!!!

Comment by minniedent

Made on Wednesday, February 27th, 2008 @ 6:41 am

Wollmeise? oh man! I need to learn how to spin. :)

Comment by Knitting Bandit

Made on Wednesday, February 27th, 2008 @ 11:59 am

Fun hat! Great picture!

Made on Sunday, March 2nd, 2008 @ 6:58 pm

0o0o0! I’ll trade ya! That hat is too cute for words, of course, it might be your adorable son. :)

Comment by Jill

Made on Sunday, March 9th, 2008 @ 1:37 am

Aaaah! that is too adorable!

Comment by Kristi

Made on Thursday, March 13th, 2008 @ 4:49 am

If you’re still serious about this handspun trading offer, let me know!