Saartje’s Booties the Bockstark Way

March 7, 2008 @ 8:00 pm
Filed under: patterns

Go ahead and queue it in Ravelry: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/saartjes-booties-the-bockstark-way

The Original Saartje’s Booties Pattern is here.

OK, I’m sure someone out there has done it this way and I haven’t seen it or never wrote it down. But here it is what I do:

Using the Magic Cast On, cast on 31(35) stitches (do it normally to 30(34) sts then loop the yarn over one more time to create an extra stitch). You should have 15(17) on one needle and 16(18) on the other. It is important to do the magic cast on because it creates a row of “purled” sts. Please note that you are working the piece WRONG SIDE OUT.

Join in the round.

round 1: p15 (17), pm, p1, pm, p15 (17) You should move the stitches so that you have 17(19) on one needle and 14(16) on the other. It makes the increases easier.
round 2: kbf, k to marker, m1, k1, m1, k to last stitch, kbf
round 3: purl
round 4: kbf, k to marker, m1, k3, m1, k to last stitch, kbf
round 5: purl
round 6: kbf, k to marker, m1, k1, m1, k3, m1, k1, m1, k to last stitch, kfb
round 7: purl
round 8: kbf, k to marker, m1, k1, m1, k7, m1, k1, m1, k to last stitche, kfb
round 9 – 18(20): work in garter stitch, removing the markers
round 19(21): switch to CC (optional) and purl
round 20(22): k15(17), ssk 5x, k1, k2tog 5x, k15(17)
round 21(23) – 23(25): work 3 rows garter stitch
round 24(26): k10(11), bind off 21(23), k10

Now, TURN THE BOOTIE RIGHT SIDE OUT, you are now going to work on the RS.

The straps are going to be worked like the original pattern. For my cast ons, I don’t cut the yarn until after I’m done knitting. I just pull a long length from the currently worked yarn (photo coming soon). Be sure to leave ample lengths so that you can do the buttonloops.

Right strap:
continuing from previous round (turn), k10(11), co 10(12), turn
knit 20(23), turn
knit 20(23), turn
bo 20(23)

Left strap:
cast on 10(12) then knit 10(11)
knit 20(23), turn
knit 20(23), turn
bo 20(23)

Finishing:
You only have to join the very top rows of the bootie and that’s it, and then weave in the ends… For the buttonloops, I used this tutorial.

Knitted Buttons:
For the booties, since they are so small, you need a small button. Cast on 5 stitches (leave about 5″ of tail on the cast on edge to use as stuffing), work 7 rows of stockinette. Cut yarn and leave about 12″ of tail. Pass tail yarn through live stitches, then with a tapestry needle, pick up stitches along the rest of the 3 edges. Pull tight and stuff the cast on edge tail in the bobble. Make a couple of criss-cross stitches to sew it shut. Sew into place.

Please let me know if you have any questions or errors to report as I’m just writing this off the top of my head!

Comment by Nartian

Made on Friday, March 7th, 2008 @ 8:50 pm

Thank you for sharing! While I don’t mind seaming, it did feel like it took just as long to seam the Saartjes as it was to knit them.

Comment by WonderMike

Made on Friday, March 7th, 2008 @ 10:03 pm

Thanks for sharing the pattern mods. *mwah*

Made on Saturday, March 8th, 2008 @ 1:04 am

Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhh…what do you mean with “…loop the yarn over one more needle to cast on 31(35)”? I think you’ll have to show me.

Comment by fbz

Made on Saturday, March 8th, 2008 @ 10:55 am

elemm: i think that means cast on 31 with magic cast on, instead of an even number (30) like you usually do.

Comment by fbz

Made on Saturday, March 8th, 2008 @ 10:56 am

kris: thanks for posting this! it’s right in the nick of time too, i have a baby sweater that is begging for matching booties.

Comment by Barb

Made on Sunday, March 9th, 2008 @ 6:13 am

Thanks for sharing. A baby will be visiting next month…hmmm.

Comment by Tara

Made on Saturday, April 19th, 2008 @ 8:11 pm

Thanks so much! This was a fun knit.

Comment by Anna

Made on Monday, May 26th, 2008 @ 5:42 am

I just tried this version and I like it so much better! Thanks for putting it up here!

Comment by Denise

Made on Saturday, April 11th, 2009 @ 9:43 pm

When should I join in the round? before I start round 1

Comment by magdalena

Made on Wednesday, September 22nd, 2010 @ 12:57 pm

Son deliciosos los zapatitos.He hecho 6 pares para regalar a una obra benéfica pero llevan el nombre de la diseñadora.Gracias.

Comment by newknitterlauren

Made on Thursday, October 27th, 2011 @ 8:50 pm

The link to the buttonloop tutorial isn’t working. Can you explain how to do them? Thanks!

Comment by kris

Made on Thursday, October 27th, 2011 @ 9:40 pm

Comment by ALS

Made on Friday, April 6th, 2012 @ 1:39 am

What does kbf mean?

Comment by kris

Made on Tuesday, April 10th, 2012 @ 11:45 am

it means knit into the back and front of the stitch to increase.

Comment by Sall

Made on Wednesday, March 6th, 2013 @ 3:33 pm

Quick question – does your magic cast on include the first knit row or do you go straight into the purling?

Comment by Brittany

Made on Wednesday, March 13th, 2013 @ 3:27 pm

Quesiton, what size needles do you use?

Comment by Suzanita

Made on Thursday, November 21st, 2013 @ 12:48 am

These booties look so cute! How big do they turn out?