The 9 day miracle

March 23, 2008 @ 11:32 pm
Filed under: finished projects

Looks good on him, yes?

OK, so it’s not a miracle, but look! I finished my Cobblestone in 9 days!!! Yeee-haw! It fits perfectly, it looks fantastic on the Mr. and he likes it and will wear it this week to work. The pattern is super easy and almost no seaming/finishing. I did felted joins on the yarn (LOVE IT) and overall just loved the process of making a garment. I think the whole no-seaming thing is what did it for me. The only part that was tedious was when first joining everything for the yoke, there was 200+ stitches and it took forever to do a round. I wish I made maybe 2-4 more rounds of stockinette at the neck, but it’s no biggie. Now I want to make kids versions of it so they will be matching their dad.

This has really opened my eyes and makes me more excited about knitting garments again! The only hard part is that if you’re knitting for someone else, you have to involve them in the process – what style, what color, etc. so it can’t really be a surprise. I am scrounging around Ravelry searching for something I can make for my mom and sister. My sister is easier since I have seen her wear sweaters and she lives in a colder climate. It’s also hard to find something that I like that is mom-appropriate. But there are a few things that I put into my “favorites”.

Has anyone out there made “Tubey” from knitty? It looks like a really cool knit and I want to make it for a friend, but reading the comments scare me off (it’s too big, doesn’t fit well, etc). If you’ve had a good/bad experience with it I wanna know!

Comment by Christy / Not Hip

Made on Monday, March 24th, 2008 @ 12:11 am

Looks great.
I haven’t knit Tubey, but I can say that I’m a bit wary of it for my body type. All over ribbing is not flattering if your bust is smaller than your hips. Other than that, I don’t know much about the pattern itself.

Comment by Megan

Made on Monday, March 24th, 2008 @ 12:32 am

Your Cobblestone looks great! I want to knit that for my boyfriend… well… once I get a ring :o).

I’ve knit Tubey. It… umm. Well. I made an unfortunate color/stripe decision that I think plays heavily in my dislike of my version. I think that the concept/style is great though and would love to try to knit it again with better gauge and color and measuring, haha. It’s a pretty finicky pattern though, and I would guess would be hard to do from a distance (ie not being able to get the exact measurements you want or have them try it on). It was my first sweater though, so maybe it would go better for you? (you can look at pictures in my Ravelry profile, I’m KnitEurope)

Comment by Becca

Made on Monday, March 24th, 2008 @ 12:39 am

Cobblestone looks terrific! Love the catalog pose he’s working there. And mini-Cobblestones for the kids, how cute! 9 days, I’m impressed.

Comment by stariel

Made on Monday, March 24th, 2008 @ 12:46 am

I knit Tubey, though I was young and stupid and – hey I just checked the pattern and there is a *correction* to the measuring instructions. That cross back measurement? Really important. I would probably go more than 1/2 inch bigger if you want to move your arms.

So mine is all good if I don’t want to move my arms too much… But it would take so much work to fix it I’m thinking, well maybe someday.

Made on Monday, March 24th, 2008 @ 1:16 am

LOve it! I think it’s gonna be so cute when you make matching ones for your boys. Don’t forget to post a cute family pic. :)

One of these days I’ll get the courage to actually make a sweater. But for now, it’s still socks… and more socks. lol

Comment by Schrodinger

Made on Monday, March 24th, 2008 @ 2:07 am

Cobblestone looks fantastic! What a great fit, and in 9 days no less!? I’m impressed

Comment by deknit

Made on Monday, March 24th, 2008 @ 2:08 am

wow. 9 days. you are so fast! and it looks really great too.

Comment by Anna

Made on Monday, March 24th, 2008 @ 2:28 am

That Cobblestone looks fanTAStic!!!

I knit Tubey. I didn’t like it… but I made a poor yarn substitution. Even so, I don’t think it will fit most people the way it’s pictured. I don’t think I’ll ever re-knit it, either. It was kind of a boring knit, and I think that was my biggest problem.

Comment by Teri

Made on Monday, March 24th, 2008 @ 10:39 am

NINE days?? You are a knitting machine!! I was thinking about your late nights knitting this weekend as I had a few myself…but mine was mostly tinking & frogging (sum total for the hours of effort is still behind where I started on Friday-grrr).

Mini Cobblestomes…would that make them Cobblepebbles?? hee hee!

Comment by Tanja

Made on Monday, March 24th, 2008 @ 12:10 pm

Hi, Kris,

das ist Cascade Tweed, oder?

Ich stricke für meinen Mann gerade einen Seamless Hybrid aus demselben Garn – selbe Farbe!!

Dein Pullover ist suuuperschön und passt ja perfekt!

Liebe Grüße
Tanja

Made on Monday, March 24th, 2008 @ 2:17 pm

Great work!

Comment by sandy

Made on Monday, March 24th, 2008 @ 2:44 pm

looks great! I made and frogged tubey as I had made a huge mistake. It was easy to fit though

Comment by Barb

Made on Monday, March 24th, 2008 @ 6:44 pm

Nice 9 day project! It fits perfectly and I love the color.

Comment by knitting bandit

Made on Monday, March 24th, 2008 @ 6:57 pm

WoW! Very impressive. Love the color.

Comment by Sarah

Made on Monday, March 24th, 2008 @ 9:46 pm

Yowza, nine days?! That’s gotta be some kind of record. I am planning one of these myself, someday, but it’ll be modified for me (as fairly plain as it is, it’s still too fussy for my husband).

Comment by Micki

Made on Tuesday, March 25th, 2008 @ 1:30 am

Fantastic Cobblestone! I think my husband may need one now.

Comment by Opal

Made on Tuesday, March 25th, 2008 @ 5:13 am

9 days? Holy cow! It looks fantastic!

Comment by javede

Made on Tuesday, March 25th, 2008 @ 9:09 am

Cobblestone looks great!
I’ve knit Tubey and loved the fit at the beginning. I think it might only be suitable for girls with less boobs though.
Unfortunately the yarn I used stretched over time, which is partially due to the yarn, but also to the sweater construction. I’m still wearing it with a tank top underneath it and am planning on knitting another one one day with better yarn.

P.S.: I used some of the yarn you send me! Must remember to post pics one of these days on my poor neglected blog, but you can follow the link on my last post. Thought that since you gave it to me for free I would include it in my pif.

Made on Tuesday, March 25th, 2008 @ 3:07 pm

Congratulations! It looks great!!!

Comment by Courtney

Made on Wednesday, March 26th, 2008 @ 5:09 am

It looks great!!!! amazing job :-)

Comment by Zonda

Made on Wednesday, March 26th, 2008 @ 5:32 pm

Awesome job on the Cobblestone, love the color. Hope you get to make the mini ones too.

Made on Thursday, March 27th, 2008 @ 7:03 pm

Hooray! That is an awesome sweater. I might have to make it. I didn’t like it at all at first, but after seeing it all over Ravelry and blogland, I have changed my mind! Oh, and raglans with little to no seaming in wools with spit/felted join…the way to go!

Comment by alala

Made on Saturday, March 29th, 2008 @ 1:17 pm

That’s terrific! I have to admit [blasphemy]I didn’t really like the Cobblestone pattern[/blasphemy]. I do now, though. Yours looks great.

Comment by Elaine Ramstad

Made on Saturday, March 29th, 2008 @ 6:50 pm

Your blog was given to me by someone on Knit U as a resource for yarn shops in the Frankfurt area.

I’ll be in that area in mid-May, and as a special treat to me, and as special torture to my buddy that I’m visiting, I HAVE to find at least one great yarn shop…and drag him along. [I pretend I hate sushi, his great love, and I tell him that if we have to eat sushi, he has to go to yarn shops with me. He really does hate the yarn shops.]

Oh, and on a long shot, if you have any recommendation in the Oslofjord area of Norway, I’ll be there visiting the relatives, too.

TIA, and if you don’t have time to reply, I completely understand.

Elaine

Comment by WonderMike

Made on Wednesday, April 2nd, 2008 @ 3:25 am

A sweater in 9 days???? A flipping miracle, methinks. And super cute!

Comment by Juls

Made on Wednesday, April 2nd, 2008 @ 5:46 pm

looks great! You’re a speed demon. I’ve been wanting to a do mini one (3 yr old size) first for my son and then attempt the bigger one for my husband. I figured the odds of completion would be higher on the toddler size ;)

Comment by Mokihana

Made on Monday, April 14th, 2008 @ 7:31 am

Wow! The Cobblestone is fabulous! I have that pattern but haven’t dared start it yet.

Comment by hookie

Made on Monday, March 2nd, 2009 @ 7:07 pm

re tubey; I suggest you look at Snow White by YSOLDA (just Google Ysolda) it is a similar look to tubey but IMHO a nicer sweater and clear instructions. She is a designer with some patterns in Twist Collective online knitting mag, so will be available for advice should you need it.