Craziness has set in

April 22, 2008 @ 1:37 pm
Filed under: spinning

Skein #3 – getting there!

Skein #4 – a little too thin and a lot overplied!

So, I’m spinning like a madwoman. Really, up all night trying to get more done. This last skein was a pain in the butt, only because it was sooooooo thin and it took forever. I think the 2nd single suffered a bit of quality because I was just rushing through it. Then the plying…I made the mistake of over plying and so now my yarn is kinked up a bit. It’s not that bad, but I am in a quest to spin the most perfect yarn ever. Which, at this point is impossible, but one must try! I think I now know how thin it should be for fingering weight yarn – but I need to work on my plying to get it the way I like it without it getting all crazy. So I’m going to take a break from spinning full skeins and make up some samples (besides, I’m complretely out of multicolored fiber). I think I am going to take some of my solids and mix them up.

I really am enjoying spinning! So much so that I bought the wheel today! It is a mahogany Kromski Minstrel. Wahoo!!! I got that one because several friends have it and they all love it, as well as it being compact and not too expensive. Of course I had to get the extras as well – the lazy kate and extra bobbins. I am currently working with 4 and that seems like too little. 6 is about right.

And then I got into an email “conversation” with a friend of mine in Darmstadt – Linnea. She was supposed to get an order of fiber from Canada to spin up for me (isn’t she an angel?) as well as some extra fiber, but it hasn’t arrived yet (it’s been a month). So she is going to send me some emergency fiber. I mentioned Crown Mountain Farms (aka Crack Mountain Farms) in one of those emails and before she knew it, she placed an order. They do that to you. And then just the thought of her ordering fiber has made me order more too. My mom is coming with a bunch that I ordered but that’s not until the middle of May and I can’t wait that long!!! Especially with my new wheel coming.

So anyways, that’s pretty much all that’s going on. Knitting has kinda taken a back seat, although I have been knitting toddler socks for my boys. I knit them cuff down so that when their feet get bigger I can cut the toe off and make it longer. I guess that’s assuming they don’t lose it first. ;)

Made on Tuesday, April 22nd, 2008 @ 2:03 pm

Teehee…and you got me back on spinning mode, too.

If you ever devise a way to transport the minstrel to spin in public, let me know…then we an go spin together. ;-p

Comment by Shannon

Made on Tuesday, April 22nd, 2008 @ 2:04 pm

Lovely skeins! I just ordered from Crown Mountain Farms too. I haven’t spun any of it yet – but it looks really good.

Comment by alala

Made on Tuesday, April 22nd, 2008 @ 2:20 pm

Wow! Skein #3 = SWOOOON!

Comment by sandy

Made on Tuesday, April 22nd, 2008 @ 2:22 pm

very pretty. I need to spend more time with my wheel

Comment by carina

Made on Tuesday, April 22nd, 2008 @ 2:26 pm

Beautiful work! You guys are so talented! :)

Comment by fbz

Made on Tuesday, April 22nd, 2008 @ 2:32 pm

omg you are a rockstar beginning spinner! and a minstrel YAY! i will send you some fiber, i have a BOATLOAD.

*hugs*
fbz

Comment by wiscjennyann

Made on Tuesday, April 22nd, 2008 @ 2:36 pm

WOW re: #3! Sigh, someday a wheel for me… but until then, keep posting pictures so I can live vicariously!

Oh, and PS– Way smart to cut off the toes to make the kids’ socks longer! You have convinced me that there is still a reason to knit socks top down… I suppose I’ll take it up again if I ever pop one out… cheers! :D

Comment by Deb

Made on Tuesday, April 22nd, 2008 @ 3:29 pm

Knitting neglect hit me for at least a month when I started to spin. I found that I had too little fiber in the beginning, and now I’m stocked for the next few months. :)

There’s a fiber festival 20 minutes from my house in 3 weekends, and I’m toying with possibly buying a fleece. I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I’m really thinking about processing lbs of wool. Spinning seems normal– processing, perhaps this is too far.

Crown (Crack) Mountain fibers are gorgeous! I absolutely love everything I’ve tried! (BFL and merino superwash). Just a head’s up– if you do order the superwash merino, take care to split the fiber into two bundles at first. You’ll find a yin/yang colorway– it’s split into a lighter/brighter and darker/duller halves; but still is continuous roving. Teyani/Klaus designed the fiber dyeing this way to create a continuous barberpole. Or, as much as possible. Keep your eyes out for their sales from time to time, too. (Often announced in email form.)

Have fun!

Made on Tuesday, April 22nd, 2008 @ 3:30 pm

Your spinning skills are amazing! Both skeins are gorgeous. :)

Comment by Sarah

Made on Wednesday, April 23rd, 2008 @ 10:40 pm

Congrats on the wheel!

I know my knitting time has taken a serious dip since my wheel arrived. I try to balance it out (one night spinning, one night knitting), but all I want to do lately is spin!

BTW, your skein #3 is GORGEOUS! That’s exactly how I want my yarn to look, but I can’t seem to get my plying to work like that. Either it’s balanced and all loose looking or it looks more like yours and completely kinks up on itself. I guess I need to keep practicing.

Comment by Linnea

Made on Thursday, April 24th, 2008 @ 8:03 am

I spent the better part of last night thinking of what fiber I will order *next* from Crack Mountain in order to spin and knit an amazing, technicolor dreamsweater. And it’s only been what, less than 48 hours since my first order? Thanks! ;)

You know, I bet my big old station wagon could fit a few Kromskis in the back. When the weather gets nicer I am so longing to go and spin in the park!

Thanks again for the package and the yummy yarn. Your “beginner handspun” is going to make an awesome pair of fingerless mitts – perfect for work, where I am always cold by 9:00!