Fiber fun filled birthday

April 24, 2008 @ 3:12 pm
Filed under: gifts,spinning

I think I am going to explode from all this!!!

Ostseegarn Eiderwolle

Little did I know that writing “I am out of multicolored roving” sends out an emergency alarm that only fiber enthusiasts can hear! My fiber angels Linnea and Fabienne sent me an “Emergency Fiber Re-Supply”, and OMG, they sent me some really amazing stuff with various content. I tend to stick to merino, so this was a really welcome surprise. I got some Bamboo which you would swear is silk, some merino/tencel (can’t wait to try!!!), some BFL (haven’t spun any yet), some mixed yarn – merino/llama, corriedale/alpaca, all of which I haven’t tried. Argh, the torture of choosing which one to spin up!!! They did an excellent job of re-supplying me with fiber – thank you SO much! Linnea also threw in some American goodies – pop tarts, shark bites and of course squishy wonderbread, which arrived in absolute perfect condition!

In addition to that, I got some birthday gifts – stitch markers from the husband (as well as the much bigger gift that isn’t coming for another 3 weeks – argh, the torture!), blue roving/beautiful red lace yarn/chocolate/coffee from tini, and a gift I got awhile back but was holding out until today to post – an amazing rich blue skein of madeline tosh sock yarn and Annie Modesit’s “Romantic Hand Knits” book, from the one and only Yarnissima!!! The patterns/models/photography in that book is very inspirational and indeed – romantic! You guys are the best and thank you again!

Tini’s roving arrived yesterday and I was extremely frustrated with spinning corriedale. I know they said that this is a good beginner wool, but dang, I found it freaking hard to keep a consistent single. I gave up and broke out her gift. I spent all day/night spinning and it came out great. The fiber is Eiderwolle, a domestic roving and was dyed by her. The fiber was a little bit sticky and hard to draft, but once you get going, it was soooo easy to spin thin and even. The finished product isn’t as soft as merino, but it feels really strong, almost like it has some linen in it. It’s also not as fuzzy as I thought it would be, and it has a nice smooth finish. I thought it came out great!

In addition to that, I also got a surprise gift from Roslyn. I was able to procure some Wollmeise laceweight for her at the Sauerlach market (which was a serious chumfest, btw) so she sent me some Eucalan, a cheery skein of Claudia Hand Painted yarn and a stitch marker. Thanks, Roslyn!

So now I will hole myself up with all this yarn/fiber. I feel like the Rumpelstiltskin lady. But without the evil gnome or whatever Rumpelstitskin was.

Comment by wiscjennyann

Made on Thursday, April 24th, 2008 @ 4:54 pm

Happy birthday!

Comment by alala

Made on Thursday, April 24th, 2008 @ 5:38 pm

Yep, happy birthday! Though it sounds like it already has been, so far. Yay you!

Made on Thursday, April 24th, 2008 @ 8:03 pm

OMG….you’re so going to become a spinning hermit soon. :-p

Comment by deknit

Made on Thursday, April 24th, 2008 @ 10:03 pm

happy, happy, happy birthday!

Comment by Tamara

Made on Friday, April 25th, 2008 @ 4:08 am

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! Hope you have a great weekend too. Tammy

Comment by Linnea

Made on Friday, April 25th, 2008 @ 8:40 am

Happy Birthday, and enjoy your spinning!

Comment by tini

Made on Friday, April 25th, 2008 @ 9:10 am

oooh the yarn came out great… *oooohhhmmmm I don’t need another hobby ooooohhhmmmm* o.k. at least not one where the cats might interfere even more ;) I’ll stick to dyeing!

Comment by Opal

Made on Saturday, April 26th, 2008 @ 1:03 am

Happy Belated Birthday! I think you’re going to love the BFL. I just started spinning some up and I adore it. :)

Comment by sandy

Made on Saturday, April 26th, 2008 @ 1:10 am

oooo pretty! Happy Birthday!

Made on Saturday, April 26th, 2008 @ 6:21 pm

Too awesome!!! Lucky girl! :)