Something is seriously wrong with me

May 6, 2008 @ 2:23 pm
Filed under: spinning

Unplied yarn

After running it through the wheel

I *cannot* stop buying fiber. I’m serious. Everytime I see some, my heart skips a beat and suddenly the credit card is whipped out. The problem is, I ordered a whole bunch from the states, some is coming with my parents next week and some should be delivered to my door. The ones that should be delivered to my door aren’t here yet so I feel like I don’t have any and must order more!!! And I’m sure one day the mailman will come with a truckload just for me (I’m not kidding). I have several POUNDS of fiber coming my way. I justify by saying that it is quick to spin up so I need lots. Heh. I thought I had a problem with buying yarn, but it pales in comparison to fiber! Does fiber hoarders anonymous exist?

Actually, the mailman did come today, but with a package for my neighbor. How dare he ring my bell without fiber in hand!!! I was so disappointed.

Just to give you an idea, here are the fibers coming my way (several of each): Crown Mountain Farms, Pigeonroof Studios, Funky Carolina, FatCatKnits and Twisted Fiber Art! I will have some serious eye candy soon! :)

But I *do* have fiber, just not any hand dyed ones. I practiced my navajo plying a bit but always get frustrated because it’s overplied or the joins are too bulky. Maybe I don’t have the settings right on my wheel. I don’t really care for the 3-ply though, I love the mixing of colors of the 2plys best (at least for now).

So yesterday and today I decided to ply up some 6-ply laceweight that I bought from ebay. It’s a 50/50 merino silk blend and knitting with it unplied sucks. I just ran it through the wheel and put some twist in it and gah, it’s sooo much nicer, don’t you think?

On a side note, I bought 50eur worth of boys underwear and socks today. And this is from the CHEAP store. It’s so weird, the store has TONS of underwear in the size 92 (1.5yr – 2yr) and then in 146 (7-9yr) and skips the main potty training age – 2.5 – 4! There are *some* but not with the cute cars on it and stuff. Luckily I dug through everything and found the only thomas the train underwear in their size. They are all about Thomas. One of my boys is ready – likes to wear underwear, but asks for a diaper when he wants to go, and the other one doesn’t want anything to do with underwear/potty training. Sigh…

Comment by Jenn

Made on Tuesday, May 6th, 2008 @ 3:17 pm

You’re making me want to try my hand at spinning–your yarn looks great!

Made on Tuesday, May 6th, 2008 @ 8:13 pm

Looks great! I’ve got a sock yarn that’s un-plied…perhaps I might try running it through the wheel

Comment by Stacey

Made on Wednesday, May 7th, 2008 @ 1:36 am

I am with you on the potty training issue – my daughter will pee on the potty but wants to poop in her pants while squatting behind a chair…what the?? :) Your spinning is gorgeous – I have a couple things of fiber and no wheel – I think I am hording a bit early – but you never know:)

Made on Wednesday, May 7th, 2008 @ 7:32 am

Lol, I can’t wait to see your newly acquired fiber stash. :) And yay! for parents visiting.

Comment by Ulli

Made on Wednesday, May 7th, 2008 @ 9:43 am

Something ist wrong with me, too then.
And We habe that underwear Problem too, but in a different way. My son Benni is pretty small for his age and needs Underwear in size 128. And it is so hard to find anything that doesn’t look so childish. He is 11 years old and doesn’t wanna have underwear with bob the builder on it.

Comment by Barb

Made on Wednesday, May 7th, 2008 @ 7:21 pm

Whoa girl! The first step is always to admit a problem exists, heh. Please take a picture of yourself buried in all that fiber when it arrives. Try not to stalk the postman unless it’s legal in your neck of the woods.
You make spinning sound so easy. Nice looking stuff you have there!

Comment by Mia

Made on Wednesday, May 7th, 2008 @ 10:20 pm

You are just addicted to fiber. You don’t want to know how much fiber I own and I still don’t have my wheel.

Comment by Jess

Made on Thursday, May 8th, 2008 @ 5:32 pm

I’ll trade you underwear! I can’t find any underwear for my youngest in 18 month – 2T. It’s all 3T-4T. Ugh. She’s on the small side anyway so it makes it difficult to find clothing for her.

I’d love to see photos of the fiber when it comes.

Comment by Jennifer

Made on Thursday, May 8th, 2008 @ 9:53 pm

What is it with Deutschland and the super expensive underthings? Holy crap. I needed a bra once on an extended stay there and it cost the equivalent (at the time) of $65. I totally would have had your parents bring the undies!

Comment by sandy

Made on Thursday, May 8th, 2008 @ 10:11 pm

the yarn looks great. I would be happy to send your little ones undies from the states if you need. Monster Boy likes Thomas too.
btw I mailed your very late birthday package today.