Sorry for my absense…

June 21, 2008 @ 3:21 am
Filed under: misc,socks

Hiking in Zermatt – isn’t the view amazing???

Finished handspun socks!

We planned this trip awhile ago, and with everything going on I kinda forgot about it, but then suddenly it was here. My family and I (and my parents) went to Zermatt, Switzerland for a week. It was freakishly expensive, but after the initial shock, we learned to live with it and thank goodness our apartment had a kitchen so we could cook all our meals.

We had more good weather days than bad and oh, when the sun shines, it is truly one of the most beautiful places to be. We had an awesome view from our apartment, but to get out there with the boys was really fun. They are hardcore hikers/climbers! They always took the hardest paths and always wanted to go up up up to the top! One of the most memorable days we took the train/ski lift up and walked down. It was about 2 miles (maybe more?) and we were constantly amazed at how well the boys did, considering they haven’t really done much hiking. The whole time I kept thinking, THIS is why we moved to Europe. The accessibility to the outdoors is really great here, and I am ALL for taking a lift up to a mountain top and/or enjoying a hot meal and wine in a hut. :)

The trip back we had some back luck – my wonderful husband read the wrong departure time, so we missed our comfy glacier express. We took the regional trains back home and I think we had to transfer 6 or so times. Yeah, that was fun. But I’m home and getting caught up on stuff.

So, now I’m off to bed, thought I would leave you with some pictures! One is of my family on the memorable hike and the other is my husband showing off his new socks which I’ve named “36 pieces of flair”. Hope everyone knows the reference. :)

Comment by knitting bandit

Made on Saturday, June 21st, 2008 @ 3:57 am

Your pictures don’t even look “real”. I think it’s something I’ll have to see in person…someday. If only I could live to be 150, maybe then I could experience all the places I’d like (oh yeah,150 years and filthy rich to afford the travel). Your lucky boys don’t even know they’re lucky!

Comment by Dani

Made on Saturday, June 21st, 2008 @ 4:39 am

Wow! I just found your blog and love it all :) I just started spinning two weeks ago, and love how you marked your “first handspun, second handspun” etc. skeins in flickr :) I just did a fourth skein and navajo plied it.

Your travels look amazing as do the socks!

Made on Saturday, June 21st, 2008 @ 11:35 am

Great handspun socks! And great view!

Comment by tini

Made on Saturday, June 21st, 2008 @ 11:38 am

oooohhh great view! Although I’m not really into mountains. I have to take a series of sea-pictures to convince you to try and vacation here for a week. Föhr is soooooo nice!

Comment by Stacey

Made on Saturday, June 21st, 2008 @ 1:44 pm

The socks are fabulous! (and surely he won’t get a “case of the mondays” while wearing these;) The backdrop is breathtaking, what a wonderful trip!

Comment by Micki

Made on Saturday, June 21st, 2008 @ 2:42 pm

Mountains! (I grew up in the Rockies, and I consider it one of life’s great tragedies that I’m now a flatlander.) It sounds like you had a mostly perfect vacation. :)

Oh, and those socks? They are awesome. I’m guessing you’re happy with that yarn now.

Comment by Hege

Made on Saturday, June 21st, 2008 @ 8:20 pm

Beautiful socks!
And the view is stunning!

Comment by Teyani

Made on Saturday, June 21st, 2008 @ 9:33 pm

fabulous socks. Isn’t knitting with handspun the most fun?!
Gorgeous views for your hike.

Comment by Lynne

Made on Sunday, June 22nd, 2008 @ 1:50 am

oh, i know! i know! it’s office space.
love the socks AND the view!

Comment by Courtney

Made on Sunday, June 22nd, 2008 @ 4:35 am

Beautiful pictures!!

Comment by mitchypoo

Made on Sunday, June 22nd, 2008 @ 7:31 am

Don’t apologize, how wonderful to be able to go to Switzerland! I love the pics, the Matterhorn does look just like Disneyland and the handspun socks are really nice. Nice spinning and knitting. Welcome back!

Comment by monica

Made on Monday, June 23rd, 2008 @ 3:53 pm

Beautiful photos! And your socks are gorgeous. The picture could be used as an ad for Regia (or something like that) — even though they are handspun.

Comment by sandy

Made on Monday, June 23rd, 2008 @ 6:08 pm

wow what a view! Love the socks too. Glad you liked the picture!

Comment by Jess

Made on Tuesday, June 24th, 2008 @ 10:47 pm

I love Office Space. I have an Initech coffee mug in my office, so far no one has caught the reference. :)

Comment by schrodinger

Made on Wednesday, June 25th, 2008 @ 4:07 am

While the socks are gorgeous, esp. knowing that it’s handspun. I have to admit they are a little overshadowed by that stunning view – beautiful!!