My first fractal spin

June 25, 2008 @ 11:54 pm
Filed under: spinning

Twisted Fiber Art Cloudy in Ravelry

I am taking my sweet ass time with this one, mostly because I am trying to find a healthy balance again. I went off the deep end in the fiber world and ignored a bunch of house duties that really I should have taken care of. My work area is embarrassing and I’m realizing that I’m turning into a hermit with a fiber problem. Not that there’s anything wrong with that. ;)

So anyhoo, enough about that! I was wishy-washy after I started this – I’m making this super thin, and then thought maybe I should do a navajo ply, but then that would defeat the whole point of doing a fractal spin. So I’m just sticking with it. The fiber always seems to fluff up more than I expect, so let’s hope that happens with this one. It would be just my luck that it stays super thin. Ah well, laceweight is cool.

This is the first time I’m doing a merino/bamboo blend and spinning from a big chunk of roving. I usually split the roving down into manageable widths so I don’t go back and forth. The back and forth kinda stresses me out a little. Does anyone have tips on how to do this better?

Fiber: Twisted Fiber Art Cloudy (60% merino/40% bamboo) in Ravelry colorway – it’s perfectly matched!

Comment by Hege

Made on Thursday, June 26th, 2008 @ 11:26 am

That is some beautiful colors!

Comment by Emma In France

Made on Thursday, June 26th, 2008 @ 12:39 pm

You can still predraft the fibre to get a narrower piece to work from. I don’t like working from a big chunk.

And wow, your spinning has really improved in such a short space of time!

Comment by Tanja

Made on Thursday, June 26th, 2008 @ 1:03 pm

Wahnsinn, Kris!! Das ist ja perfekt!
Unglaublich schöne Farben und so gleichmäßig und dünn!

Made on Thursday, June 26th, 2008 @ 2:29 pm

that is beautiful!!! personally, i find nothing wrong with being a fiber hermit, as long as you post lots of pretty pictures of your spinning! :)

Comment by Zonda

Made on Thursday, June 26th, 2008 @ 5:14 pm

Gorgeous!

Comment by Morgan

Made on Thursday, June 26th, 2008 @ 5:57 pm

I predraft sometimes and spin from big chunks sometimes too. I just finished a sheep to shoe kit from bmfa. The instructions (which I surprisingly followed) were to split the roving into three equal sections and then spin up. I had two bobbins that still had some on it after I had finished the initial ply, so I navajo’d the leftovers. I am going to try this again, but actually weigh out the roving to ensure that I get the same weight.

My frustration is when I have a good amount left on one of the bobbins but not the other.

I do love how yours is turning out though. It looks really even.

Made on Saturday, June 28th, 2008 @ 2:37 pm

Wow, I’m jealous. That looks gorgeous! I really ought to spend more time at my wheel.

Made on Saturday, June 28th, 2008 @ 11:19 pm

It’s freaking gorgeous!!

Comment by Lauren

Made on Tuesday, July 8th, 2008 @ 10:42 pm

What a great colorway! That’s going to be some really nice yarn :)