I suck at Navajo plying

July 10, 2008 @ 10:45 pm

what the title says.

I am going super slow, and about 50% of the time it looks ok, but the other half, sucks ass. Really. A lot of times, I have one of the plys too tight (like coming from the lazy kate) and so the other two start wrapping around it. I tried pulling the other two tight, but then I start pulling the yarn off the bobbin and there’s not enough take up (I think I have this adjusted to have as much takeup as possible). Then I tried loosening the LK, but then I got the curlys, even though this single has been sitting for 2 days). And then there’s the problem of when I’m getting ready to “chain”, plys shift and move and look like crap.

Please tell me that whacking fixes this!!! Probably not. Shit.

Comment by Shells

Made on Thursday, July 10th, 2008 @ 11:00 pm

You’d be surprised at how much it helps!!! Navajo plying has turned into my favorite technique. Once I got the hang of it, I feel like is a much more active way to ply. My one big crash since it all came together I believe happened because I had some rather poor BFL which relaxed more than expected after a soak and whack. Stick to it, you may start to enjoy it given time!

Comment by Angie

Made on Thursday, July 10th, 2008 @ 11:30 pm

Oh, baby, I’m with you. I want so much to be good at Navaho plying, and it just ain’t happening. I suppose it’s probably one of those things that gets better with practice, etc., etc., but I have to tell you, I think I’m too old for that. I just really want to be good at things, and the idea of being sucky for a long time while I learn to get good just doesn’t appeal to me. However, if you learn some magical way to get really good at Navaho plying really quickly, I hope you’ll keep me in mind.

Comment by ami

Made on Friday, July 11th, 2008 @ 12:12 am

If it makes you feel any better I suck at N plying too. I hates it.

Comment by Micki

Made on Friday, July 11th, 2008 @ 12:18 am

Whacking will help. Also, I like to let my singles rest for a long time–at least a week is best–before N-plying. That helps keep the curlies at bay.

Comment by fbz

Made on Friday, July 11th, 2008 @ 1:04 am

i move the lazy kate way far away from me, behind me to the right. i let the singles rest for at least a day before i ply (mostly because i’m too eager to try something else out before i get to plying). i make sure the tension on my lazy kate is comfy and isn’t breaking the ply or letting out too much of the single. i then do the slip knotting with my right hand and pinch the twist with my left hand. i slowly move my left hand down to almost meet my right hand, use my middle finger to pull a new loop through and start over again while letting the yarn take up on the wheel. i’ll shoot you a vid tomorrow when it’s light out. have patience, it’s fun! heck if elemm can navajo ply on a spindle, we can do it on a wheel!