Spinning ADD

July 24, 2008 @ 1:42 am
Filed under: spinning

BunkyBoBos cotton candy!!!

Please, be done already, torture knitting!

Flashin’ my fiber/roving stash

I have a serious case of spinning ADD. If I did not have only 6 bobbins, I believe I would spin up a little bit of every fiber I own. I want it all spun up at the same time. I spun up a little bit of my seawool roving, because I just HAD to try it out. I spun up 1.5oz of my BunkyBoBos merino. And most recently, I spun up 2oz of my HelloYarn Falkland because again, I just wanted to know what it’s like to spin up. I can’t start anything new because then I won’t have enough bobbins to ply. Or maybe I’ll just get a few more bobbins. Heh.

So, I’ll start with the BunkyBoBos. Sandy sent me this fiber awhile back and much like a lot of things around here, I spun up a little bit right away and then it sat in a corner for a little while. This merino is very bouncy! And I mean BOUNCY. I don’t think I have ever spun merino like this. I spin superwash all the time and this is different. This merino has lots of crimp so it’s easy to spin but it’s still oh so very soft so it makes it kinda spongey. Very hard to explain. In any case, it took me a little while to get used to it, but I finally got a consistent single. I’m working on the 2nd half of the roving right now. I can’t wait to see it plied up – I think it will bloom nicely with a good wash/whack.

I am also working on the HelloYarn falkland fiber from the April 08 fiber club – Hive – (sorry no pic yet) that was given to me by my HHHH pal, SourCherries. I have never spun up Falkland before, so I was really itching to try it out. It is more along the lines of corriedale, but more hairy. I’ll reserve judgement when it’s done and plied. It’s not a fiber for me (still prefer merino), but I love the buttery yellow/orange colors and it’s easy to spin. I’m spinning this one thicker, maybe sportweight.

And the seacell wool (no pic either!) – it’s a lot like tencel, maybe not quite as slick. That’s why I put that one aside for now. And also it’s 8oz. With my spinning ADD, I don’t know if I can spin 8oz’s anymore! It’s very nice though.

And now, the torture knitting. I am 2/3’s done. Please make it stop! It is taking me away from the wheel!

And just to let you know how hooked I am, take a look at my fiber and handspun stash. I started spinning 3 months ago. I am a sick, sick individual.

Comment by Lauren

Made on Thursday, July 24th, 2008 @ 2:47 am

That is a lot of fiber for only having been spinning 3 months! I have stash envy now :)

Made on Thursday, July 24th, 2008 @ 2:53 am

First, I saw the pink and thought it was “to die for”. Then I saw the stash and thought “Holy crap!” You truly are amazing!!!

Comment by Stacey

Made on Thursday, July 24th, 2008 @ 3:08 am

Holy crap – you need an ariel shot to get all of the roving goodness in the picture?! I am so incredibly jealous 1) of the stash 2) that you can spin so well! That ribbon scarf is awesome as well – I need to queue that baby! Get it done already!:)

Comment by Brandy

Made on Thursday, July 24th, 2008 @ 3:55 am

LOVE LOVE LOVE the Cotton Candy! You are doing a beautiful job on it. Must say that stash is very nice. If you ever need to get rid of some of it or say some help spinning it… I would love to volunteer. ;)

Comment by ami

Made on Thursday, July 24th, 2008 @ 3:56 am

I just need to let you know that at the rate you are stashing you are far, far going to surpass me at the one year stage :) Also, I’m planning on flashing my stash (all of it) when I get back from my little trip this weekend.

Comment by Opal

Made on Thursday, July 24th, 2008 @ 6:14 am

I want to roll around nekkid in your stash. And you call yourself sick? :-D

Comment by Teyani

Made on Thursday, July 24th, 2008 @ 7:04 am

your stash looks alot like mine (though mine also has some natural fibers in it, and I don’t see much of that in your amazing goodies)

I think you should join those of us who believe this is called a “Fiber IRA” (instead of stash)… you see, one day, many years from now, when you ‘reitre’ you’ll ave lots of time, and no income to buy fiber…. thus, the need to stash it now for the future :-0 cool, huh?

Comment by Linnea

Made on Thursday, July 24th, 2008 @ 12:23 pm

Holy crap, lady! What a lot of fiber! I’m jealous!

Do I need to lock up my bobbins when you come for a visit? ;)

Comment by Sarah

Made on Thursday, July 24th, 2008 @ 1:39 pm

Well, now I don’t feel guilty about my fiber stash!

Can’t wait to see that Bunky Bobos plied. It’s going to be so yummy!

Comment by sandy

Made on Thursday, July 24th, 2008 @ 2:29 pm

it came out so pretty! I am glad you like it!

Comment by Katie

Made on Thursday, July 24th, 2008 @ 3:15 pm

I’m right there with you. :)

Comment by Sonia

Made on Thursday, July 24th, 2008 @ 9:08 pm

Are you sure its spinning ADD or spinning OCD? Just kidding, I definitely have fiber envy now. Actually I’ve been toying with the idea of spinning(reading a much as I can) now I see what you’ve done I fear(or maybe more my family)that I will inevitably take the plunge. Now I’m looking into which drop spindle would be good for me to start.The scarf is so pretty you should finish it.

Comment by mydogpetey

Made on Thursday, July 24th, 2008 @ 9:12 pm

Whoa.
Love, love, love your spinning, your stash…. everything. I’ve been knitting for years, but just caught the spinning bug and my my my it’s hit big. I’ve been also spinning for only 3 months, so you are my new hero to follow. My roving stash is starting to creep up on my yarn stash and you are not helping by posting these luscious photos.
Keep it up.
That pink cotton candy is to DIE for.
Cheers!

Comment by wiscjennyann

Made on Friday, July 25th, 2008 @ 11:58 am

Best. Post. Ever.

Am totally DROOLING over your stash! All of those pretty colors are to die for! I kinda want to make that photo my desktop image… :D

Made on Saturday, July 26th, 2008 @ 3:01 am

WOWWOWOWOWOW!!! Your fiber stash is awesome!