…and speaking of stashing…

July 31, 2008 @ 9:28 am
Filed under: misc

Here is the fiber in it’s protective cover

Here they are in their boxes

In the last post, someone asked how I store my fiber, so I thought I’d show you. With my yarn, I just kind of threw them in these bins and that’s that. But with my fiber, I did the same thing until one night I had a nightmare that moths attacked and ate all my fiber. I woke up and IMMEDIATELY took steps to protect myself. And now I do this with all my fiber, yarn as well. I haven’t had any moth infestations so far (knocks on wood).

When I get my fiber, I first oooh and ahhh over it, then take pictures of it on my windowsill studio.

I put all fiber in ziploc bags (22x31cms), if they don’t already come in one. I found some bags on ebay and it’s much cheaper to buy 300 at a time. I think I paid less than 20eur (including shipping). It is probably way cheaper in the states. Best investment ever.

Then I pop it into these storage boxes from IKEA. I really should get the kind that’s airtight (where they snap shut), but just haven’t gotten around to it.

I am up to 3 bins now. After CMF had a sale, I think I will be up to 4. The good news is, is that I’m feeling “fiber full”. :)

That’s all there is to it. With this system, it doesn’t take up much of a footprint, but it’s also not out to admire and pet. I personally would rather have it put away and protected! But everytime I go to start something new, that’s when I take things out and admire! :)

Comment by Opal

Made on Thursday, July 31st, 2008 @ 12:53 pm

Dood. You already have more fiber then I do! :-o

Comment by Sarah

Made on Thursday, July 31st, 2008 @ 1:25 pm

I only have one bin, and it’s a lot smaller than yours. Clearly my fiber stash needs some enhancing.

Comment by mydogpetey

Made on Friday, August 1st, 2008 @ 9:35 pm

Thanks so much for showing your storage system – just in time – my Crown Mountain order just arrived today and I am officially on stash overload! Damn their July sale! OMG their fiber is just wonderful. I just want to pet it.

Heading right after work to purchase plastic boxes and ziplock bags…..

Thanks for helping me manage my addiction….

Comment by linnea

Made on Saturday, August 2nd, 2008 @ 1:48 pm

Yeah, um, that CMF sale? It’s totally taken over my living room. You better get up here fast before I decide that spinning rather than stashing is a good idea – muwahahaha! BTW, the fiber arrived in little paper-wrapped packages. I think (yes, I’m naive) that it looks like a drug shipment.

Made on Sunday, August 3rd, 2008 @ 8:34 am

LOL I do the same thing, except now I have a seperate 3 draw bin of new ones that need to be photographed, lol Umm yeah lets say I need more bins. All mine are over stuffed. :P

Comment by mydogpetey

Made on Monday, August 4th, 2008 @ 9:54 pm

LOL! — CMF wrapped like a little drug shipment! — I think that is so perfect.

My order arrived last Friday. After a few minutes of acting like a kid at Christmas opening those paper-wrapped packages, I went back online “just to look” at the other colors I did not buy. What did I find? The July sale prices were still on the site on Friday, August 1st. I emailed Klaus who responded that the sale prices were still good until the webmaster could change the site by the end of the day. So I quickly blew another wad of money and ordered more.

Hello.