Off to Darmstadt

Filed under: spinning

CMF sw merino in We are the ChampionsWe are the Champions
Hello Yarn Falkland in Hive
Hello Yarn Falkland in Hive
Handspun baby hat
Handspun baby hat

Hi folks, this is just a drive by posting as I’m off to Darmstadt today! I haven’t really traveled around Germany, so this will be a great vacation (without the family)! What am I going to do you ask? Well, we’re going to dye, spin, knit, chat, and everything in between. We have been planning for a spin-in for a long time, and sadly, because I don’t want my wheel to get damaged and because I don’t want to drive, I decided to keep my Seamus at home. BUT my friend Linnea has two wheels you see, so we *can* spin together! And one of them has a wollee winder for me to try out! YAY!

Anyhooz, I have been busy spinning up some CMF for peaknit. She has been oogling over handspun and while spinning this up for her, she bought herself a wheel (does this story sound familiar?)! We have been sending fast and furious emails back and forth about spinning, fiber, yarn, etc. She was supposed to wait until the fiber festival to get a wheel, but with all this spinning talk, it has motivated her to get one sooner. Too funny! I did manage so finish her 8+oz of “We are the Champions” and they came out very nice, if I do say so myself!

I also finished up my Hello Yarn. It was a fun spin, but I’m not a fan of falkland. It’s too hairy and coarse – I am a merino gal, through and through.

I have also knitted a whole bunch of handspun baby hats because I decided that baby hats are much easier to make than booties. And also, a friend of mine told me that she used the booties for maybe a month. At least with the hat it will last one season!

I also started spinning up a traditional 3-ply out of my All Spun Up fiber club fiber. The merino/silk is divine!!! Even though I will sacrifice some yardage, I’ve always wanted to try a true 3ply. We’ll see how it goes.

Anyways, that’s all the news fit to print. More pics whenever I get back!

Comment by Christine

Made on Thursday, August 7th, 2008 @ 11:57 am

Stacey will love that! I can’t wait to see what she starts to spin up :)

Comment by Nala

Made on Thursday, August 7th, 2008 @ 12:45 pm

When you have some time on Saturday and want to see some Skudden and Pommersche Landschafe (german sheep breeds ;) ) in Butzbach, whitch is a small town in the north of Darmstadt is a Körung (a (breed) survey) where we also spin.
You can find informations in german on this side:
I know you (or your voice) from the knitters uncensored podcast :)

Maybe you will find some time :)

Nala

Comment by Sarah

Made on Thursday, August 7th, 2008 @ 1:15 pm

Ooh, pretty! I’m also planning a real three ply for my next yarn. I’m only afraid it will take forever — not good for someone who needs some instant gratification sometimes!

Comment by Tanja

Made on Thursday, August 7th, 2008 @ 2:49 pm

Wie immer traumhaft, Kris… immer wenn ich Dein Blog lese, weiß ich, warum ich angefangen habe, zu spinnen :-)

Viel Spaß in Darmstadt!

LG
Tanja

Comment by Danielle

Made on Thursday, August 7th, 2008 @ 4:21 pm

If you don’t like the falkland, you can totally send it to me :)

Have fun trying the woolee winder. I have one on my wheel and I really like it!

Comment by mydogpetey

Made on Thursday, August 7th, 2008 @ 5:32 pm

Your spinning is inspirational. Love that CMF – I just bought that same colorway so now i really can’t wait to spin that up. Looking forward to your review of the Wooly Winder. I’ve seen it in action, but haven’t tried it yet.

Have a great time in Darmstadt!

Comment by Stacey

Made on Friday, August 8th, 2008 @ 2:42 am

I am so excited to get my grubby paws on that fabulous yarn!:) Thank you so much! I will hug it! Also thank you for your great wheel/ spinning advice and encouragement – now I’ll need your woolee winder review! Have a great trip filled with chicken soup! The falkland is gorgeous too – doesn’t look a bit hairy to this greenhorn:)

Comment by Brandy

Made on Friday, August 8th, 2008 @ 6:23 am

Gorgeous Handspun! The baby hat is too cute!! Enjoy your spin-in. :)

Comment by Opal

Made on Friday, August 8th, 2008 @ 12:34 pm

Oh how funny. I just got some “We Are The Champions”. It’s good to see it spins up so beautifully.

Have a wonderful time!

Made on Saturday, August 9th, 2008 @ 2:14 am

Simply beautiful…all of it!

Comment by mydogpetey

Made on Wednesday, August 13th, 2008 @ 4:03 am

Your spinning is so yummy! I have two questions for you – I’m just getting started on some CMF Superwash Merino – colorway In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida. Question 1—Are you splitting the roving before you spin it? I have a tendency to spin thin and do 2 ply. It seems the CMF just naturally wants to split lengthwise in my hands. Question 2—What’s your method for setting the twist? I’ve read to soak in hot water only or in hot water with a bit of dish detergent and also to add vinegar in the second rinse. Just curious to know what you do. This is the first I’ve spun merino (very slippery to me)… Thanks!