Speechless…

August 24, 2008 @ 11:37 am
Filed under: misc

What do you say to a family who lost their father last year, lost their best friend last month and at the same time found out one of them (my sister in law) has MS? I am at a total loss for words. Saying “I’m so sorry” sounds ridiculous. I want to call them and hug them, but I’m sure they are getting a million calls right now and explaining everything over and over. It is devastating. I want to write an email…but what to write??? Argh!

Yesterday we went to the Theatinerkirche (church) to show my mother in law the beautiful interior. I am not a religious person, but I can appreciate churches and their beauty. They have this table where you can buy a small candle and light it, so I lit two for my brother and sister in law.

All I can do is knit and spin. So I decided to knit her a candle flame shawl out of wollmeise laceweight so that she can be wrapped up in love whenever she wears it. I want to finish it before Christmas, so will you all please keep me honest and if I’m spinning too much and not knitting, give me a kick in the pants, please. Thanks.

Made on Sunday, August 24th, 2008 @ 12:29 pm

Sorry to hear about that….

…you better go cast-on then.

Comment by Auntlyh H

Made on Sunday, August 24th, 2008 @ 2:22 pm

{{{family}}}
Have I sent you my corrected/modified chart for the Candle Flame? If not, drop me a line and I’ll send it right out.

Comment by Stacey

Made on Sunday, August 24th, 2008 @ 6:41 pm

Since I am an avid watcher of your spinning, I will have my strong leg ready – just in case. I prayed for your SIL today in church – it gave me one more reason to make myself go – take care!

Comment by tini

Made on Sunday, August 24th, 2008 @ 9:43 pm

Miss B. just let them know, that you will be there, if they need you. That you are thinking of them and that you sending positive vibes

that said: go and knit! spinning is evil!

Comment by Opal

Made on Sunday, August 24th, 2008 @ 10:02 pm

Sometimes just saying what’s in your heart is the best thing to do. Now go knit your ass off!

Comment by Brandy

Made on Monday, August 25th, 2008 @ 5:33 am

Getting to knitting! Keep them needles flying! Sorry to hear of the troubles they are having. (Hugs!)

Comment by Susanne

Made on Monday, August 25th, 2008 @ 9:20 am

I’d say you just write them that you’re thinking of them, that you want to hug them, and that you don’t quite know what to say. And you can ask if there is anything you can do to help.

I’d say you probably don’t need anybody to remind you about that piece of knitting…

Made on Monday, August 25th, 2008 @ 5:51 pm

Sometimes that is all you can do. Your heartfelt wishes will come through in the knitting….

Comment by Karin

Made on Monday, August 25th, 2008 @ 9:08 pm

Keep hope. Definitely keep hope. My mother was diagnosed with MS at 45 and now at 62 they can no longer find any traces of MS. There is always hope!

Comment by Katie

Made on Monday, August 25th, 2008 @ 10:30 pm

May you knit like the wind! Sorry to hear about your friend.

Comment by Zonda

Made on Tuesday, August 26th, 2008 @ 4:07 am

That shawl will be a wonderful gift! Just let us know when you need some extra nudging!!

Comment by alala

Made on Tuesday, August 26th, 2008 @ 2:55 pm

Well, “I’m so sorry” and “let me know if I can do anything helpful” are clichés for a reason, I guess. They may feel insufficient right now, but I’m sure that your in-laws will understand.

Comment by Dani

Made on Wednesday, August 27th, 2008 @ 12:01 am

I’m so, so sorry…. Sending you and your family lots love.

Comment by Sonia

Made on Wednesday, August 27th, 2008 @ 6:57 am

You knit and knit and knit. You tell them your thinking of them,send them loves and hugs, and tell them your there for them. Sometimes it helps to know there is someone you can call to talk to regardless of time and just listen.Its what I offer when someone is going through a difficult time. I’m one who believes prayer shawls, friend shawls, are truly appreciated hugs.When you knit with all the positive energy and hope and love for her you might be surprise that you might not be able to put that piece of knitting down.So you have casted on right? Just checking.

Comment by Monika

Made on Wednesday, August 27th, 2008 @ 1:41 pm

So much bad luck in one family! I’m sorry to hear that. A knit shawl will be a welcome present for your SIL, I’m sure. There’s lots of time til Christmas, I’m sure you can do it!

(Oh, and you made me laugh today, with the comment you left on my blog post.)

Made on Saturday, August 30th, 2008 @ 12:57 am

I think it’s a fantastic idea that you want to give her a gift made with so much love. It will be something she will appreciate and cherish because she knows how much you love her.

Made on Thursday, September 4th, 2008 @ 8:33 pm

She’ll love being able to wrap herself in the shawl and feel the warmth that you’ll be knitting into it along the way. I’m sure we won’t need to remind you much…heartache is an incredible motivator!

Comment by Morgan

Made on Tuesday, September 9th, 2008 @ 4:28 pm

I agree with Sonia. Thinking of them, sending positive thoughts and knitting. Putting all that positive love into what you knit is actually (in my opinion) one of the best things you can do. I have one I am working on for my mom when my stepdad’s cancer flares up again. I have purposely stopped working on it as he has had a clean (meaning, the tumor hasn’t gotten bigger) checkup for almost a year and I don’t want to jinx it.

As for the MS, I think that the biggest thing to be conscious of is that it is a very humiliating disease. It is one where your dignity leaves and you are left in the care of others for longer than a person ever should be. I watched it with my dad. Support. Love. and on their bad days, getting them food or a drink or whatever without them asking.

*huge hugs*