I am all about the 3plys

September 14, 2008 @ 11:24 am
Filed under: spinning

Holy moly, I just realized that I haven’t blogged about my recent FO’s. So I think I will just have a jumbo post full with pics! I am done with the Twilight series books and I’m embarrassed to admit that they were so freaking addictive. GAH, just sucked up my time. So for about a week I didn’t do any spinning or knitting. At all. Really. But now that it’s done, I can resume my spinning! :)

First off, I have my handspun socks that I finished from my All Spun Up 3ply. And after it being worn only once, it accidentally got thrown into the wash and felted. Argh. (click on pic for details)
From fiber to sock: All Spun Up merino/silk in Haleiwa (SAL fiber)
Handspun socks big and small

Next I have another 3ply merino/silk from All Spun Up in “Kunia”:
Form fiber to yarn:  All Spun Up merino/silk in Kunia

Next I have one of my own handdyed rovings, “As You wish”, 3ply merino (click on pic for details):
Handspun Bockstark merino in "As You Wish"

Then I have a 2ply Pigeonroof Studios BFL in Corrossion. This one brought BFL back into my good graces. I guess now that I am a little more experienced, BFL is not as problematic as it used to be! (click on pic for details)
From fiber to yarn:  Pigeonroof Studios BFL in Corrosion

Then, I took a little merino/alpaca blend from All Spun Up and practiced the 2 step Navajo ply and it worked like a charm. It became the most perfect N-ply yarn I have ever done!!! I highly, highly recommend Bowerbird Knits’ 2 step method for those of you who are Navajo-ply challenged. (click on pic for details)
All Spun Up navajo ply sample

And lastly, I just finished spinning up a preview roving from Sunshine Yarns. Dani, who recently got into spinning, is starting to dye roving now! YAY! She is celebrating her 3 year shop anniversary and every order will come with a free gift on the 16th and 17th, so be sure to check it out! The debut of the roving will be in 11 colorways!!! I can’t wait to see what other colors she comes up with!

The roving was easy to spin and it fluffed up beautifully! I am such a sucker for brown!! :) I have another braid of roving that I’m spinning now that will be Navajo plied (using the above mentioned 2 step method!). (click on pic for details)
From Fiber to Yarn:  Sunshine Yarns sw merino in Toffee

Comment by Angie

Made on Sunday, September 14th, 2008 @ 1:48 pm

Gorgeous yarns! How sad about the accidental felting…it’s such a disappointment to have all of that work end up “doll-sized”. Perhaps now Elijah can get them for his own? :)

Comment by Monika

Made on Sunday, September 14th, 2008 @ 2:03 pm

Beautiful, beautiful yarn! That sucks about your handspun sock! But it happens, unfortunatly. I’ll be sure and check out Sunshine Yarns for fiber.

Comment by KnittingKel

Made on Sunday, September 14th, 2008 @ 3:54 pm

Your yarn is beautiful! Too bad about the sock getting felted. At least there’s a little one in your life who can wear it.

Comment by Stacey

Made on Monday, September 15th, 2008 @ 3:16 am

Whew, way to trudge through the sexy vampires so you can get back to “real life” – I totally get that. :) Your spinning continues to be spectacular – sorry to hear about the felting, doh! I just watched a utube on Navajo ply today and finished up a little spare single just to see if I could do it – interesting for sure – thank you for the link to some more n.p. info! Just in time!

Comment by Opal

Made on Monday, September 15th, 2008 @ 4:09 am

Your 3plies are spectacular! Keep’em comin’!

Comment by Micki

Made on Monday, September 15th, 2008 @ 11:54 am

It’s hard to resist the siren call of the 3 ply! All the yarns are beautiful.

Comment by Sarah

Made on Monday, September 15th, 2008 @ 1:28 pm

I think I’d give in to the call of the 3 ply more often if it didn’t take so long! Maybe I should just learn to spin faster.

In any case, your yarns are beautiful, as usual! Sorry about the felting incident. I guess that’s when it’s good to spin superwash.

Made on Monday, September 15th, 2008 @ 1:41 pm

wow. that spinning is breathtaking!!!!!

Comment by Tanja

Made on Monday, September 15th, 2008 @ 2:23 pm

Kris, again this is SO beautiful!!

I love love love your pictures – and they keep me addicted to spinning!

Thank you for the navajo ply link – I really want to learn to ply this way, but the first try was horrible *g*

LG
Tanja

Comment by Shannon

Made on Monday, September 15th, 2008 @ 2:55 pm

Thoase all look beautiful! I love the three plys too. I really want to try the navajo plying, but haven’t done so yet – I’ll cehck out the site you recommend.

I’m getting ready to try my first 4 ply for socks. It will really be two 2-plys plied together for a cabled yarn. Someone recommended that it will male excellent socks.

Comment by Zonda

Made on Monday, September 15th, 2008 @ 3:16 pm

Wow, such beautiful handspun!!!

Comment by Loribird

Made on Monday, September 15th, 2008 @ 3:33 pm

Wow. Just… wow. I really love it all, I’m totally inspired.

Comment by Brandy

Made on Monday, September 15th, 2008 @ 3:50 pm

Gorgeous! Those socks are great. Love the colors on how they all came out.

Made on Tuesday, September 16th, 2008 @ 7:11 am

Fabulous!! Everything is always sooooooo pretty!

Comment by Jess P

Made on Friday, September 26th, 2008 @ 11:55 pm

Do you have a standard issue sock pattern that you use for the kids?

Comment by theresa

Made on Sunday, October 19th, 2008 @ 2:20 pm

Your handspun is gorgeous!