Too much beer

October 6, 2008 @ 5:56 pm
Filed under: misc

Oktoberfest 2008
Those things are heavy!

Sorry for not being regular at posting, I’ve kinda been off the internet for awhile. You know how it is. Oktoberfest is now over and we went on the last day (Sunday) and had a lot to drink. We went with my husband’s work group and so we had free beer and chicken all afternoon/evening. Awesome! I started off with a coke (which I spiked myself with some grappa), then had a radler (which is 1/2 beer and 1/2 lemonade or something sweet), then had the full on Oktoberfest beer, which is quite potent stuff – 13% alcohol, if I remember correctly. I’m not a beer drinker, so this progression (sweet -> beer) made it possible for me to handle it.

I love Oktoberfest, it is a really great tradition. It’s so cool to just hang out, talk to random strangers (whoever sits next to you) and you just drink and eat and drink. Sounds like a huge frat party, and in some ways it is, but it’s really great to see people of all ages (not so much kids, but old and young) having a great time. It gets rowdier during the night since people have been sitting there all day drinking beer, but I’ve never seen it out of control. So much gemütlichkeit!

Comment by Trish

Made on Monday, October 6th, 2008 @ 6:19 pm

Looks like fun….and definitely not the place for knitting to occur! :)

Comment by Trish

Made on Monday, October 6th, 2008 @ 6:19 pm

Looks like fun….and definitely not the place for knitting to occur! :)

Comment by Barb

Made on Monday, October 6th, 2008 @ 6:50 pm

Sounds like such a blast!

Comment by Susanne

Made on Monday, October 6th, 2008 @ 7:23 pm

Yes, huge frat party is the best way to describe it. Which is why I never go there. haven’t been to the Wies’n for 14 years.

I prefer to drink my Oktoberfestbier elsewhere, sorry.

Made on Monday, October 6th, 2008 @ 9:46 pm

Sounds like too much fun!:)

Made on Tuesday, October 7th, 2008 @ 3:29 pm

Glad you had a great time!

Comment by WiscJennyAnn

Made on Tuesday, October 7th, 2008 @ 4:24 pm

Looks like loads of fun! Yay!

Comment by blogless michelle

Made on Wednesday, October 8th, 2008 @ 7:21 am

oh yeah, oktoberfest! i remember that kine fun! since i’m still hapai, it’s no beer for me for a while, still. but i do remember the fun we had, even at honolulu’s version of the festivities the first year we were here. it was pretty wacky to see local kids dressed up in lederhosen and slippahs, serving kielbasa.

Comment by fbz

Made on Wednesday, October 8th, 2008 @ 1:04 pm

aw sorry i missed oktoberfest this year. when are you coming to berlin? i have so much news to share, drop me a line yo!