Geez, has it been a month already?

October 27, 2008 @ 3:53 pm
Filed under: baby knits,spinning

Gardasee (Italy)
Riva del Garda, the town we stayed in
Gardasee (Italy)
Gardasee, we’ll be seeing you again!
Handspun Baby Surprise Jacket
My first BSJ!
Mini BSJ in Wollmiese
Mini BSJ in Wollmeise Spice Market
From Fiber to Yarn: Tausendschön ef merino in Traumtänzer
Handspun Tausendschön ef merino in Traumtänzer
Handspun Sunshine Yarns sw merino in Drift
Handspun navajo plied Sunshine Yarns roving in Drift
Handspun Annettes Wollwerkstatt batts
Handspun 2ply Annette’s Wollwerkstatt batts

Is anybody even reading this blog anymore??? I know I’ve been really bad about blog posts, but I hadn’t realized that THAT much time has passed by! I actually haven’t done a whole lot of knitting

or spinning – I may have learned to balance out my life and have done quite a bit of reading, vacationing with the family, and just plain enjoying life. So I apologize if I haven’t been reading all y’alls blogs lately!!!

What have I done this past month or so? I went with the family to Gardasee (Italy) for some camping. It was the first time we took the boys. We weren’t sure how it was going to go over, but it turned out to be the most fun ever! We stayed at a campground in Riva del Garda, right on the beach. We had two tents, one for the boys and one for us and they absolutely loved having their own little house. We brought a little disposable grill but it was a miserable failure since the coals wouldn’t light. It was so painful to have to throw away all the meat. But luckily, there was a pizza place next door. We walked through the little towns in the day (and even bought some climbing harnesses for them) and then strolled on the beach at night. It’s amazing how relaxing it is not to have the TV, internet, distractions, etc. and can just be together on the edge of a really beautiful lake. Oh and the gelato, so yummy! :) The boys did so well and is looking forward to more trips. I think we will head to Gardasee whenever we get the chance. It is fairly close (3 hr. drive) and now that we can camp, it is cheap too!

But I have managed to do some knitting – I even finished a BSJ – my first! I did an I-cord edging and did button loops rather than have a button band. I really like it, the construction is genius and I’m sure there will be more of these in my future! Handspun is just perfect for this pattern! For this one, I used Crown Mountain Farms sw merino in “We are the Champions”. I still need to attach the buttons, hopefully will get that done tonight and I can send it off. This is going to “baby Bockstark” – the German guy who introduced me to the word “bockstark” and *claims* that he invented it, just had a baby girl a few weeks ago.

I liked the BSJ so much that I made a mini one (to fit a barbie) for the boys’ kindergarten. They needed a “Jacke” as something that starts with the letter “J”. It is too cute!!!

And I’ll just throw in some of my spinning pics, nothing too exciting…

Oh and also, my pattern has finally been debuted with the first Wollmeise Sock Club shipment! It is called “I Mog Di” (ravelry link). Unfortunately, it is currently only available to the sock club members.

Sorry for the rambling and disjointed post, that seems to be how my mind is lately…

Comment by Luinelen

Made on Monday, October 27th, 2008 @ 4:51 pm

Oi, the mini BSJ is soo cute! :) And the handspun yarns are pretty, too.

Comment by Dave

Made on Monday, October 27th, 2008 @ 5:01 pm

Mmmmmmm – gorgeous handspuns! I love the colours in the blue/brown Traumtänzer, and the Navajo-plied Drift looks scrumptious!

Wow, what a great sock pattern. Will it become available to the general public after a certain period? (he asked hopefully) :-)

Comment by Susanne

Made on Monday, October 27th, 2008 @ 5:09 pm

Yes, still reading. I love RSS feeds because then I don’t have to check on every blog I read whether there’s something new.

Everything you made is so cute. (And I really love your sock pattern, it’s gorgeous.)

Your handspun looks very exciting to me, I wish I could spin like you (but then I’m not willing to give up sleep for spinning). In time I’ll get there.

Camping at Gardasee sounds like a very good idea to me. Hm. Maybe that’s somethig to consider for next year.

Comment by Chery

Made on Monday, October 27th, 2008 @ 5:11 pm

I read each of your posts with anticipation. I love how your spinning has progressed. I’m still slowly learning.

We got to visit many places because we camped…. so much cheaper than motels and resorts.

Comment by Sarah

Made on Monday, October 27th, 2008 @ 7:21 pm

Welcome back! I love your latest handspun — just my colors! I can’t get over how perfect your N-ply looks.

Made on Monday, October 27th, 2008 @ 7:27 pm

It’s all good girl. Fun times with family are the best. I’m soo jealous of you always. ;)

I’m pretty darn sure that I’ll be getting a wheel when I gather up some funds and it’s all due to your awesome stuff you keep showing. :)

Comment by anna

Made on Monday, October 27th, 2008 @ 7:40 pm

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous! Yep, I’m still here. You lucky gal, going all over Europe! Looks like you’ve been having a wonderful time without blogging. It makes the blogging that much better, though!

Comment by MzTallulah

Made on Monday, October 27th, 2008 @ 9:09 pm

I can’t believe it! I was born and raised in Riva, although now I live half across Europe… wish I had known you were visiting, I could have asked my mom to lend you her oldie but goldie barbecue, although the pizza next door wasn’t a bad option either (and the gelato two doors down, and the other two or three pizza places across the road going towards Torbole… enough, I’m getting nostalgic – and hungry!).

Made on Monday, October 27th, 2008 @ 11:05 pm

what a glorious trip! I am glad your boys loved it and now you have the license to return again and again. Your spinning is stinking gorgeous as always! And that BSJ – well, both BSJ – darling!

Comment by Trish

Made on Tuesday, October 28th, 2008 @ 2:10 pm

Gorgeous camping photos! Gorgeous handspun! Sometimes you just need a break, you know? I think it really, really helps the creativity, no? The BSJ is wonderful, especially the mini. I have always wanted to knit tons of little sweaters and fill a whole Christmas tree with them one year!

Comment by sandy

Made on Tuesday, October 28th, 2008 @ 5:36 pm

the yarns are so pretty! My kiddos love camping too.

Comment by Auntly H

Made on Wednesday, October 29th, 2008 @ 12:19 am

That is a GORGEOUS BSJ. And the mini one is adorable.

Comment by Robin

Made on Wednesday, October 29th, 2008 @ 7:20 pm

I’m reading you! I just purchased the BSJ DVD and can’t wait to make one! Love your mini-BSJ. That first picture looks like paradise.

Comment by Nell

Made on Friday, October 31st, 2008 @ 1:01 am

Next time you go camping, can I come???? That’s the most beautiful campground ever. Beats the hell outta the old KOA places in the Midwest.

Comment by WiscJennyAnn

Made on Friday, October 31st, 2008 @ 6:59 pm

Oh my those Italy photos are STUNNING! And to be able to do it on the cheap? That is wonderful. I have so many great camping memories from growing up! So exciting to get to introduce your boys to it! As always, beautiful knit, spins and… oh, hey! Congrats on that pattern! Will it someday be available for public consumption?

Welcome back!