Buying a fleece

November 7, 2008 @ 2:15 pm
Filed under: misc

OK, so after my last post about undyed spinning, my husband and I decided that what would be *REALLY* cool is to buy a fleece (I’m attracted to the shetland dark brown/black) and have it processed. The problem is – how do I buy one? from Germany? Since I am going to the states this winter, it would be really cool to buy one now, send it away to get processed, then have it sent to my parents where I can bring it home with me. Any recommendations? I would LOVE to go to a fiber festival and get one but .. there isn’t really any opportunity for me to do that. Are there places that sell fleeces? European places would be even better!

Also, I will need recommendations for processing mills! Thanks so much to everyone who responded, you have convinced me to make a zippered cardigan for the husband. :)

Comment by Trish

Made on Friday, November 7th, 2008 @ 2:39 pm

Hey there – this is the coolest idea! I’m wondering if Brenda Dayne (of Cast On fame) could help you out. She is kind of an expert on the Welsh woolen industry (she lives in Wales.) Shoot her an e-mail and see what she suggests…..

Keep us updated.

Which zippered cardigan?

Comment by sandy

Made on Friday, November 7th, 2008 @ 3:45 pm

thats great! I only know of one place in colorado. Lonesome Stome Fiber farm. She sells her after shearing so I am not sure what she will have left this late. Try Etsy?

Comment by mydogpetey

Made on Friday, November 7th, 2008 @ 6:00 pm

You need to decide what kind of fleece you want first – what do you spin the most?

You want Mohair?
Contact: http://www.ronanfibers.com/
Carol is fantastic and knows tons about mohair – she lives and breathes it. She also has great sheep, too.

Meridian Jacobs is getting ready to have a shearing day next weekend:

Processing:
Jane has been in the business for years and they have a great wool mill.

Cheers,
Kathy

Comment by TheBon

Made on Friday, November 7th, 2008 @ 7:30 pm

Check the vendor lists in a copy of Spin-Off if you have one. Fantasy Fibers in Oregon is a good processor (http://www.fantasyfibers.com/index2.htm) but they tend to be busy so turnaround can take awhile.

Comment by Danielle

Made on Friday, November 7th, 2008 @ 7:48 pm

Do you know what kind of fiber you want? I’d suggest posting on the spinner central board at Ravelry — “where to buy quality shetland fleece?” or something like that — I bet you’ll get lots of good advice. Also search the forms for recommendations for processors. I got 26 pages of results for “fleece processing” including at least one thread with good recommendations — http://www.ravelry.com/discuss/fiber-prep/32766/1-25#22

I’m a relatively new spinner, and I’m not sure that I would be confident in my assessments of fleeces. For my first fleece, I will probably rely heavily on the recommendations of others, and then learn as I go!

Comment by Shell

Made on Friday, November 7th, 2008 @ 8:09 pm

There are usually a few on Ebay (UK) or you could try the British Woollen board they may post to Europe. HTH

Comment by Goldfishgirl

Made on Saturday, November 8th, 2008 @ 1:31 am

All my fleeces from this year are used up, but I might be able to sell you one next spring when my sheep are shorn again. I’m getting some more Ryelands next week, yay! :)

Made on Saturday, November 8th, 2008 @ 6:59 am

Very cool idea. Can’t wait to hear more.

Comment by tini

Made on Sunday, November 9th, 2008 @ 6:17 pm

there’s a German publication called “Das Lavendelschaf”, maybe there are German sellers in there.

Comment by Loribird

Made on Tuesday, November 11th, 2008 @ 4:34 pm

I’ll love seeing what you do with a full fleece, here’s hoping you can find one soon!

By the way, I’ve passed on an award to you over on my blog!

Comment by Astried

Made on Wednesday, November 12th, 2008 @ 10:36 pm

Lots of places in Germany sell washed fleece, try http://www.woll-schaf.de, traub-wolle.de, shop.die-wollfabrik.com, and http://www.wollknoll.eu. I don’t think they have any shetland (except if it the same with scottlandwolle, are they?) but there’s a lot of different natural colour that you might like.