Green with Envy!!!

November 12, 2008 @ 3:54 pm
Filed under: spinning

All Spun Up Oct SAL extrafine merino
All Spun Up SAL fiber
All Spun Up merino/bamboo
All Spun Up merino/bamboo

So I get a call from my husband this morning and he tells me that he has to fly to Los Angeles TODAY for work. First, my mind is upset because he gets to be a bachelor for 5 days. Not only that, he is a bachelor in LA! And he gets to eat at Taco Bell, and see old friends, oh yeah, he has to work, but still!!! And then he calls again demanding that I wash some clothes for him. Yeah, uh huh. And then he comes home to pack and then tells me that he has to go to CBS studios and is going to be in Burbank the whole time through the weekend because it’s cheaper for the company to stay overnight on Saturday. Gah, that bastard!!! OK, yes, harsh words, but I am so envious!

This week we have so much going on too. We have a parent-teacher conference with the preschool today, on Friday I have a big photo shoot to do (5 toddlers/4 mothers – nightmare!) and was counting on him to help me set up, and Thursday night we have a friend from Italy staying over and on Monday is our 19th anniversary!!!!! GAH!!!! He’ll be back by then (I think) and he better bring me back a good fibery present or I’m going to be so mad. OK, I’m not, and I probably sound like a raving lunatic, but I think that this has just never happened before. Usually he has a few weeks of warning and we can kind of prepare. But he was just whisked away and I feel so… lonely.

Anyways, enough about my jealous rant. I’ll include my latest spinning FO’s. They are both from All Spun Up. The yellowey one is the Spin-A-Long fiber and it was ok. I’m not a fan of extrafine merino, but it was still nice. Very nicely prepared. The other one is merino/bamboo and it was so wonderful to spin. It’s like there is some silver in there – it’s so shiny! I will certainly buy more!!!

I have also been doing a little knitting. I’ve been trying to motivate myself to knit on the Candle Flame shawl for my sister-in-law, but hell, I really am wishing I didn’t choose laceweight. But at the time, I had no other options. I’m maybe 1/2way done. I also started some Endpaper Mitts but thinking of frogging because my gauge is so loose. Argh!

With husband gone, I will probably get LOTS of spinning/knitting done! :) I guess that’s the good part. Heh.

Comment by sandy

Made on Wednesday, November 12th, 2008 @ 5:36 pm

the hand spun is so pretty! Hope Hubby brings home some good stuff!

Comment by alala

Made on Wednesday, November 12th, 2008 @ 5:49 pm

I am so with you. My husband’s in Barcelona right now. WithOUT me. I know I opted to be the SAHM, but I didn’t realize I was signing up for this.

Comment by Tanja

Made on Wednesday, November 12th, 2008 @ 6:02 pm

Kris, I love the SAL fiber and I’m so glad, I have them, too!!

Comment by Sarah

Made on Wednesday, November 12th, 2008 @ 6:12 pm

I lurve the merino/bamboo blend. I’m almost done spinning my last bobbin of singles (tonight should do it), and the shine is the best part of it.

I loved how the SAL fiber looked, but I had a really hard time getting it to a draft-able state. It seems a lot more compacted than usual. I’m wondering if that has anything to do with the fiber or if it was just the postal service squishing it too much. Or maybe I’m just too used to SW merino?

Comment by Trish

Made on Wednesday, November 12th, 2008 @ 8:21 pm

Gor-zwaa yarn! You are so talented!

I totally understand about being the one staying home. DH travels about 65% of the time. I actually kind of like it because I have uninterrupted time to knit and indulge my love of knitting blogs and podcasts. However, more than a few days in a row is really tough sometimes – especially if somebody gets sick or there is an emergency room visit. Enjoy the part you can enjoy, though! Can’t wait to see what you get done!

Comment by Dave

Made on Wednesday, November 12th, 2008 @ 8:22 pm

Mmm, love the spinning, particularly the colours in the SAL — gorgeous. What don’t you like about merino? I’m finding it hard to draft evenly, but I thought that was just because I was a newbie.

Comment by Opal

Made on Wednesday, November 12th, 2008 @ 8:35 pm

You may be green with envy over your husband’s trip, but I’m green over the fact that you managed to snag some merino/bamboo! Your spinning is mahvelous dahling! :-D

Comment by Teyani

Made on Wednesday, November 12th, 2008 @ 8:57 pm

you spinning is gorgeous!! love those colorways.

too bad about the hubster going to LA… but I wouldn’t be toooo jealous – LAX is a nightmare, and the traffic there is beyond belief.

Comment by WiscJennyAnn

Made on Wednesday, November 12th, 2008 @ 9:31 pm

Lucky! Except, ugh… all the time zone changing would wreak havoc on my poor little brain. But I’ll tell ya, I’m green with envy over your pretty pretty spinning! Even with all of the encouragement, I’m still on the fence about a wheel… and even if I had taken the plunge, am swamped with work! So I will just live vicariously through your spinning escapades! Hope the weekend brings you loads of spinning time– both in your interests and mine ;-)

Comment by Monika

Made on Wednesday, November 12th, 2008 @ 9:35 pm

LOL – now you know how I feel with my husband being away so much. Love your spinning, all of it. I think I need to dust off my spinning wheels and get going again.

Comment by Micki

Made on Thursday, November 13th, 2008 @ 12:13 am

That merino/bamboo is like crack. Enjoy your “free time”! (Can a mother with two toddlers actually have free time? I think not.)

Made on Thursday, November 13th, 2008 @ 12:16 am

LOL, so by the sound of it, you’re planning an all-nighter for spinning?

Made on Thursday, November 13th, 2008 @ 12:30 am

More handspun gorgeousness! I totally understand when my own husband gets to travel for work! Of course he isn’t going anywhere near as cool (in my opinion). Good luck with the photo shoot and managing the boys!

Comment by theblondeknitter

Made on Friday, November 14th, 2008 @ 8:03 am

hello, i jumped over here from another blog and realized your pics look very familiar. i do believe i have been drooling over them on Ravelry! small world huh?
:D

p.s.i hope you get some yummy fibery goodies from hubby too!

Made on Friday, November 14th, 2008 @ 1:32 pm

oohhh soo unfair!! He soo better get you some yummy goodness. Especially since he’ll be here in the states. Make him lug a huge suitcase of fiber home. :)

Comment by kathy

Made on Saturday, November 15th, 2008 @ 3:38 am

You did give him a list before he left, right? Plus, you really wouldn’t want to be in SoCal at this time of year anyway. All that sun, and warm weather. Who wants that :-)
Happy spinning!!

Made on Saturday, November 15th, 2008 @ 4:15 pm

How are you holding up? Hang in there, Baby!

Made on Saturday, November 15th, 2008 @ 4:16 pm

BTW LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the fiber in the top photos!!