I met my Heroes!

February 10, 2009 @ 11:26 am
Filed under: misc,spinning

I was lucky enough to meet up with KnottyNaomi while I was in Hawaii this year! She doesn’t go every year at Christmas, so I was just lucky! If you don’t know who she is, she is a spinner/photographer extraordinaire and one of my spinning heroes! She creates gorgeous yarn and is known for her bulky “ropes”. We met at a fellow knitter/spinner’s house – Opal, the AkamaiKnitter. I met Opal last Christmas at the Aloha Knitters meetings and we’ve been in blog contact ever since! She also creates amazing yarn at the other end of the thickness spectrum – laceweight! Seriously, this girl can spin 2ply laceweight and get 1000+ yards from 4oz – 2ply!!! Sheesh!

Get together with AkamaiKnitter and KnottyNaomi
Opal, Naomi and me

Anyways, we spent a few hours in the afternoon showing each other how we spin. It is a real learning experience and I wish there were more spinning gatherings. And I wish I had a traveling wheel! :) Luckily, Opal has 2 wheels so I spun on her Lendrum while Naomi spun on her Majacraft. Before this, it has been next to impossible for me to spin thick, consistently, that is. But for some reason, after watching her do it, it just clicked. Maybe it’s seeing how much twist she puts in? I dunno. So after I had a 2 month spinning hiatus, I sat down and channeled my “inner Naomi” and created some rope. Man, the fiber goes so fast!!! I can make a dent in my stash for sure! :)

Handspun CMF corriedale in

got rope?
Channeling my inner Naomi yarn!

Then as if that wasn’t enough, on my way back to Germany, we had a layover in SFO and Stephen of Y-Knit fame came out to meet me and the boys. Have your heard his and WonderMike’s super uber-professional podcast? My god, it puts everyone else to shame!!! But the instant he arrived at the airport, we were non-stop talking about all kinds of stuff. He was such a hoot and I enjoyed his company immensely. And his hugs…oh his hugs…they are the BEST! He gives those really tight hugs that makes your jaw hurt from smiling so big and you really feel loved. I cannot wait to see him again, and I hope next time we’ll have more time! I’m trying to convince him to come out to Germany, especially since his husband speaks fluent German!

hizKnits + Bockstark
hizKnits and me

hizKnits corrupting my baby!!! ;)

And he was such a sweetie and gave me a whole bunch of yummy clif bars (most of which we consumed on the plane) as well as a skein of STR Monsoon. I sold off all my STR whenever I took the spinning plunge, so to feel the squish again was nice. When I got home, I cast on for a Kid’s Cowl since my boys need one. And it stripes up beautifully! Thanks Stephen!!!

Kid Cowl

Kids Cowl in STR mediumweight Monsoon

So anyways, that was the excitement from my vacation! :) Now it’s back to spinning spinning spinning!

Made on Tuesday, February 10th, 2009 @ 11:48 am

hehe, you totally met some cool people.

And I still don’t get cowls….they just elude me. I’d rather stick with scarves. ;-)

Comment by opal

Made on Tuesday, February 10th, 2009 @ 12:12 pm

now that was a great time! too bad we can’t do it more often. i’m loving your thick yarn! you really know how to channel your inner naomi. *g*

Comment by Monika

Made on Tuesday, February 10th, 2009 @ 2:19 pm

Wow, only by looking did you figure out who to spin thick yarn? I can’t do it. It looks wonderful by the way.
How nice to meet other like minded people! :o)

Comment by fbz

Made on Tuesday, February 10th, 2009 @ 5:44 pm

yesh stephen is awesome. also for spinning meetups, come to BERLIN YO! you can spin on my wheel. i need a second wheel (oh noes, did i just say second wheel?) that can spin bulky and art yarn anywayz, so i should get one before you come. also we occasionally have spinning get togethers in berlin.

Made on Tuesday, February 10th, 2009 @ 5:57 pm

I can’t get over how much the boys have grown!

Comment by WiscJennyAnn

Made on Tuesday, February 10th, 2009 @ 6:04 pm

Oh I love that– meeting knitting heros. I am crossing my fingers that I’ll get to meet one or two of mine on my trip to the Netherlands this spring.

As always, your spinning is gorgeous. I can’t get over how even the twist is. It’s just mesmerizing– I can’t look away!!!

(PS– that picture of “tongue ring intrigue” is hilarious!)

Comment by Sarah

Made on Tuesday, February 10th, 2009 @ 7:20 pm

I am so jealous! I guess one of these days I’ll have to haul myself and my Lendrum out to Hawaii and stalk all of you great spinners in the hope that some of your skill will rub off on me. I, too, love Naomi’s lovely rope-y yarns, but I can’t spin thick for the life of me. I think I may just be destined to spin skinny yarns!

By the way, what are those two pretties you spun up?

Comment by Dave

Made on Tuesday, February 10th, 2009 @ 7:27 pm

Sounds like a great time, but I hafta say that *you* are my hero — look how tight those plies are — total fantasticness.

Comment by Loopykd

Made on Tuesday, February 10th, 2009 @ 8:42 pm

You know I say this every time, but I can’t believe how gorgeous that yarn is. You impress me every time with your spinning. So even and perfectly plied. Wow!

Comment by Anna

Made on Tuesday, February 10th, 2009 @ 10:08 pm

Rock on, Ms. B! Your “rope” yarn looks amazing. I bet it was tons of fun to make, too.

And how much fun is it to meet hizKnits?!? Just by listening to his and WonderMike’s podcast, it just seems like he’d be so much fun to know.

Oh, and your boys look darling in their cowls. Just too sweet.

Comment by Trish

Made on Wednesday, February 11th, 2009 @ 4:15 am

Wow – what a fantastic trip! I’m blown away. It reminds me how great it is to be surrounded by people who share your fascination with yarny goodness, right? Such a great and giving community this is….

Comment by Hege

Made on Wednesday, February 11th, 2009 @ 9:36 am

He looks so cute in his cowl!
And the yarn is great.

Comment by Shannon

Made on Wednesday, February 11th, 2009 @ 4:41 pm

Hurray for heros! Looks like you had a great time. I would love to watch Naomi spin to learn to make that rope. Looks like you are a quick study. I love that think chuinky yarn you made!

Made on Wednesday, February 11th, 2009 @ 9:44 pm

awwww how fun! Your boys are too cute!!

Comment by Danielle

Made on Thursday, February 12th, 2009 @ 2:58 am

What a great meetup — both of them!

Comment by alala

Made on Thursday, February 12th, 2009 @ 11:50 pm

Totally cute boys, totally awesome cowls! Way better than scarves, which unwind and get dragged in puddles and lost. Cowls stay on until someone takes them off on purpose.

Comment by naomi

Made on Sunday, February 15th, 2009 @ 7:02 am

you are too kind. it was nice to finally meet YOU kris, as well as to see opal again. as for spinning? you are a talent in your own right! such beautiful n and 3 plies make me drool! looking forward to the next christmas where i can get together with you guys again!