A Year of Spinning

April 15, 2009 @ 2:41 pm
Filed under: Uncategorized

Wow, I can’t believe it’s been a year already since I’ve started spinning! In that time, I have created 60 skeins of yarn, about 18,000 yards of handspun. Wow…that is a lot! I am a true spinner, don’t want to knit anything anymore. How crazy is that?! Of course, I do have some babies to knit for soon (my sister is due to pop any day now and have I knit anything yet…??? ummm…yeah, working on it!). Here are a few highlights of my spinning year.

Here is a picture of my very sad, sad first yarn, totally overspun and plied and feels so stringy rather than soft, even though it is merino. I will forever treasure this yarn because it was the beginning of my whole spinning obsession:

My first handspun

Here is my 5th or so skein of yarn and when I really felt like I was getting the hang of spinning. It was still over-plied, but it was knittable!

Handspun Twisted Fiber Art superwash merino in Angst

After 2 weeks of spinning almost non-stop, I decided I just HAD to get a wheel, so I ordered up my Kromski Minstrel, who is named Seamus. He has been a real work horse…gone through 3 drive bands, had one of his whorls damaged (and not yet replaced) and still going strong.

Is something missing here?

My first Navajo ply. It was waaaay too tight and very stringy. But the colors are so pretty! After this skein, I was so scared to do N-plies for a long long time!

Handspun Lovesticks sw merino in Patina

Then in September, I learned Bowerbird Knits 2 step Navajo ply method and it has really made a big change in my spinning. It has made me into a N-ply convert and now I mostly do N-plies! Here is the first one of those skeins.

Handspun Sunshine Yarns sw merino in Drift

I have spun with merino, extra fine merino, superwash merino, merino/bamboo, merino/alpaca, merino/tencel, merino/seacell, merino/silk, bamboo, falkland, silk, BFL, superwash BFL and soysilk. I think my favorite is still superwash merino, for it’s softness/bounce and right amount of slickness. But of course I will spin pretty much anything! :)

And last but not least, here is the last skein that I finished up yesterday. The fiber is from All Spun Up in the January 2009 Spin-A-Long colorway. If I had to pick a “perfect” colorway, I think this would be it! A fitting end to a wonderful year of spinning!

Handspun All Spun Up sw merino/alpaca blend in Ko'olina

Comment by Monika

Made on Wednesday, April 15th, 2009 @ 4:10 pm

I’m in love with your last handspun yarn. The colorway is just gorgeous! I can’t believe you don’t want to knit anymore!

Comment by Sarah

Made on Wednesday, April 15th, 2009 @ 5:03 pm

Thank you for inspiring me with your spinning for the past year! I think we both got on the wagon at about the same time, but you’ve been so much more prolific. I can’t wait to see what you’ll spin in the future!

Comment by Chery

Made on Wednesday, April 15th, 2009 @ 7:03 pm

WOW!! I’m speechless. Love your spinning.

Comment by Jamie

Made on Wednesday, April 15th, 2009 @ 7:32 pm

You are an inspiration for sure! I am so easily discouraged, and your spinning is a powerful testament to the importance of persistence!

Comment by Dave

Made on Wednesday, April 15th, 2009 @ 7:53 pm

Only one year?!?!? OMG. I knew you were setting the bar pretty high, but I didn’t realize it was THAT high. :-)

I’ve done something similar to the first two, hoping to eventually get something like that gorgeous ASU. I think it’ll take me more than a year, tho.

Comment by Loopykd

Made on Wednesday, April 15th, 2009 @ 9:28 pm

Holy cow if you can do that in a year I can’t wait to see what you do in another one! Beautiful work for you to be very proud of. Congratulations.

Made on Wednesday, April 15th, 2009 @ 10:23 pm

Congrats on a year of spinning! And your Navajo-Ply has come a long way! ;-) Love the last skein!

Comment by Micki

Made on Wednesday, April 15th, 2009 @ 11:17 pm

I love seeing the progression! Even your first yarns were pretty damn good. :)

Comment by Jennifer

Made on Thursday, April 16th, 2009 @ 12:13 am

Echo Micki. That last one is perfect.

Comment by Schrodinger

Made on Thursday, April 16th, 2009 @ 4:03 am

Such beautiful work, and in the space of a short year, totally impressive!!!

Comment by jen

Made on Thursday, April 16th, 2009 @ 6:57 am

Lovely spinning story.

Made on Thursday, April 16th, 2009 @ 1:46 pm

You are a spinner indeed! Great work in a year – and don’t forget how many you have gotten to “drink the kool-aid”?:)

Comment by ami

Made on Thursday, April 16th, 2009 @ 6:08 pm

Happy Spin-a-versary! I’ve always felt like you were my spinning soul sister :)

Comment by Robin

Made on Thursday, April 16th, 2009 @ 10:29 pm

Kris, your spinning is wonderful! The last skein — that brown is so rich looking. Happy Spinning!

Comment by Zonda

Made on Friday, April 17th, 2009 @ 6:18 am

Just gorgeous!!! Congratulations on 1 year of spinning! Your Navajo ply yarn is amazing, as are all the others!

Comment by Tanja

Made on Friday, April 17th, 2009 @ 10:50 am

Ich finde sie alle wunderschön, Kris, aber der allerschönste ist wirklich der braune Strang ganz unten!!

Viele liebe Grüße!
Tanja

Comment by WiscJennyAnn

Made on Saturday, April 18th, 2009 @ 6:04 pm

What a lovely post! It was so neat to see an overview of your progress. And it’s been wonderful to what you learn and grow as a spinner. I’ve gotten a lot of inspiration from your work over the year. Thank you for sharing the process with us and congratulations!

Made on Monday, April 27th, 2009 @ 5:38 am

Wow, can’t believe its been a year. :)

Comment by knottynaomi

Made on Friday, May 8th, 2009 @ 12:56 am

oooh wow just a year? you are a natural!