Just checking in!

May 14, 2009 @ 5:56 pm
Filed under: misc

Hey there folks. Sorry for the long absence. I’ve lost my blogging mojo, mostly because all I do is spin spin spin. And there’s not too much blogging excitement in that – here’s roving, here’s yarn. Tadaaaaa! :) I also apologize that I haven’t been very good with reading my favorite blogs and flickr pics too, I’m terrible!

But mostly, I’ve been focusing my energies into running. I am kind of going through a mid-life crisis of sorts and decided I need to get off my lazy butt and exercise. I started back in November, kind of casually – about 2 or so times a week. I am ashamed to admit that I couldn’t go more than a block or two without getting winded. Then I became more serious whenever I went to Hawaii in December, upping it to 3 miles/3x a week. When we came back to Munich, I continued on, through the rain, snow and cold.

In March, I decided I needed to have a goal other than “run 3x a week”, so I signed up for the Munich half marathon. It was really overwhelming at first and I thought I would die just training for it. But as the weeks went on and I started doing longer and longer runs, I now feel like it will be a piece o’ cake. Ok, not EASY, but finish-able. On my birthday, after a few glasses of wine, I decided I needed yet another challenge, so I signed up to run the Loch Ness Marathon in Scotland in October. YEAH! I think the idea of the marathon being somewhere I’ve always wanted to go, as well as being such a famous area, makes me really really excited. I will run the full length of the Loch (maybe catch a glimpse of Nessie while I’m there) and then end in Inverness. For part of my training, I will run a full marathon a month before the actual race. So really, I will run 2 marathons this year, one official, and one not. One in Munich, one in Scotland. It will be the most physically demanding thing I have ever done in my life. But I am actually ENJOYING it, which is really surprising me.

I am currently able to run 8 miles, with only a few stops to walk. It is amazing how fast my cardio has developed. As a nice side effect, I lost 20 lbs so far and am able to fit some pre-pregnancy jeans! That in itself is keeping me going!

I am going on vacation for a couple of weeks, first to Paris. I’ve never been there before and since my parents will be watching the boys, I will fly and meet my husband, who will be arriving by train from Brussels (he works for a company there and goes 1 week a month). We don’t have much plans, other than visiting with our friends, shop for Maille mustard (mmmmmm) as well as stuff at La Drougerie, and I’m really interested in going to Le Refuge des Fondus, where you drink wine out of baby bottles. And we’re also going to do a 10 mile run through the city that will take us on a little sight seeing tour – to the Eiffel tower, along the Seine, and end at the l’Arc de Triomphe. Fantastic! I’m really looking forward to it. After we get back, we’re going with the whole family down to our favorite parts of Italy – Bolzano and Gardasee. Paris, Brussels, Italy, Scotland…we sound so european! :)

Surprise package from Robin!

One last note, I wanted to thank Robin of Robin’s Nest! I won a contest on her blog and she sent me an amazing package filled with a bunch of patterns/pattern books, lovely citrus-y soap, a stitch marker, sheep note paper and sticky notes, and a wonderful calming “Peaceful Pond” CD. Ahhhh…it’s like a day in a knitting spa! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

That’s all the news fit to print…until next time!

Comment by Sarah

Made on Thursday, May 14th, 2009 @ 6:58 pm

Way to go on the running! I was on a running kick several years ago and found that it’s really addictive when you start doing it often enough. Now I’m more of a walker (it’s easier on my knees), but there are times I miss that adrenaline rush.

Comment by alala

Made on Thursday, May 14th, 2009 @ 7:45 pm

That’s amazing! It takes less than a block or two for me to get winded, and I took that as a reason to quit. You are made of awesome!

Comment by Jenn

Made on Thursday, May 14th, 2009 @ 9:14 pm

Way to go! I love running–I’ve been injured, and I miss it so. But once I’m healed, I’ll be back into it soon!

Made on Thursday, May 14th, 2009 @ 9:51 pm

Good for you! We miss you, but I’m SO happy for you!!!!

Comment by Danielle

Made on Thursday, May 14th, 2009 @ 10:34 pm

Hi! Good to hear from you :) I’ve not been blogging much either – I’ve been doing the same thing with swimming as you have been with running, and signed up to swim a 3 mile race in July. It feels good to be active again, doesn’t it? (Although I don’t have the excuse of having kids to explain why I’ve been out of shape for years!)

Comment by Trish

Made on Friday, May 15th, 2009 @ 4:11 am

I’m so excited for you. Running is such a panacea. I recently put back on the last 10 pregnancy pounds I lost a few years ago. You’ve totally inspired me to get off my bum and hit the road.

P.S. Didja hit the Maille store? So amazing. We gave my SIL one of the multi-packs with many flavors. She was inspired and had a mustard tasting party. That was awesome!

Made on Friday, May 15th, 2009 @ 1:55 pm

Way to go – I am so impressed! I trained ust for a little 5k a few years ago and felt so inspired – but then got back onto my lazy butt…I do walk and walk and walk but maybe I need to kick it up a bit to lose that last little bit…I’ll be watching your progress to marathon time – very exciting!

Comment by opal

Made on Friday, May 15th, 2009 @ 10:20 pm

good for you for getting into shape! i hope to see you this christmas all thin and glamorous. ;-)

Comment by fbz

Made on Saturday, May 16th, 2009 @ 5:05 pm

oh yay for running! did my 1st half marathon last month,
and i’m so proud of you! yay go kris go!

Comment by Dani

Made on Saturday, May 16th, 2009 @ 11:06 pm

Way to go! That is so awesome and inspiring…I’m doing something similiar myself. I’m doing a full triathalon in 2 months. I can swim and bike, but not run. I finally did our 3.5 mile loop yesterday without stopping!

Good luck with your training and keep us posted :)

Comment by Oblivia

Made on Monday, May 18th, 2009 @ 9:56 pm

Congrats on the running and good luck on the half-marathons and marathons. I semi-thought of doing something like this too, and you might inspire me enough to finally do it. :D