Re-inventing myself

February 6, 2010 @ 4:55 pm

Loch Ness Marathon

I’m a work in progress
Monoton Ribbed Shrug
My first shrug!
20091103-DSC_7073
Stephen and me at the Munich airport
20100127-_DSC0331
WonderMike and me at SFO

Wow, it’s been almost a year since I last posted. I’m sure a lot of you are wondering what the hell happened to me! I haven’t been blogging/checking blogs/knitting/spinning in awhile (obviously!). A lot of it has to do with not being able to really afford to buy stuff anymore (or at least controlling the habit) and reading blogs, looking at flickr pics and being on Ravelry was really making me spend a lot of money and all it did was build up my stash.

So what did I do for all that time? Well, I decided to get off my butt and start exercising. Computers, knitting and spinning involves lots of time sitting. It just got to the point where I had to do something. And I’m also at that age where you hear a lot more about people getting sick, dying, or what not because they didn’t have a healthy lifestyle. I feared that I was going to end up in that camp.

I started casually walk/running from November 2008 – 1 or 2 times a week, for 2 to 3 miles. Nothing major, just something to get started. Then in March, I got an advertisement in the mail to run the Munich Half Marathon and I thought about it for a few days and then decided “why not”? I started training in earnest then walk/running 3 days a week – 2 of them short runs (3 miles) and 1 of them a long run. I was really serious about it and stuck to my schedule. In June 2009, I completed my first half marathon! I was the very last person to cross the finish line and it was a slightly humiliating experience, but there you are. But I was just happy that I did it.

Then one evening after drinking some wine, I thought “hell, why not just go and do a full marathon!” Crazy, I know, but I was really determined to do something BIG. So I searched around for marathons that have a long time limit (most ones in Germany have a 6 hour limit, which isn’t enough for me) and since I’ve always wanted to go to the Scottish Highlands, I decided on the Loch Ness Marathon. I am happy to say that on October 4, 2009, I completed it AND I wasn’t the last one. :)

During the year of training, I lost about 35 lbs. I didn’t have weight loss as a goal, but it was a very nice side benefit. I bought new clothes and feel more confident and more like myself again. I still have a ways to go before I’m in the “normal” weight range, and that’s what I’m working on this year.

All this running and activity has made it uncomfortable for me to sit and knit or spin for long periods of time. I know at some point I will pick it up again because I do miss it, but for right now I’m putting it aside. So that’s my story.

So now that I bought a whole bunch of new clothes, one of which is a sleeveless dress, I had to make something to cover up my saggy arms. And I love shrugs but never owned one so it was my first knitting project in a year (or maybe even more) beside a couple of Jayne Cobb hats that I knitted for some friends. The pattern is the Two-tone Ribbed Shrug from Fitted Knits and the only mod I did was to make the sleeves longer. I really like it and will probably make another one in the short sleeve version!

In other fiber news, I was also lucky enough to meet up with the Y-Knit boys, Stephen at the Munich airport and WonderMike at the SF airport. I just love both of them, they are so much fun to hang out with! Mike was such a doll and brought me some wonderful Verb goodies and fiber!!! Thanks so much, Mike!!

So that’s all the news fit to print. Thanks so much for listening!

Made on Monday, February 8th, 2010 @ 7:49 pm

Congratulations! Feels good, doesn’t it!?! Thanks for checking in.

Comment by Petra

Made on Tuesday, February 9th, 2010 @ 5:22 pm

Wow! I am impressed! Good for you!

Comment by Susanne

Made on Wednesday, February 10th, 2010 @ 12:01 pm

It’s so great to hear from you again. And with news that good.

You got me all motivated to get exercising again, thanks.

Comment by Teyani

Made on Tuesday, February 16th, 2010 @ 6:40 pm

congrats on all you have achieved! and wow, you look fabulous!!

Comment by Danielle

Made on Thursday, February 18th, 2010 @ 6:38 pm

Look at you! Great job! I started running casually over the summer of 2009 and I’ve signed up for a half marathon for this April. So great to read this today, as I’m pumping myself up for a long (and cold!) run tonight. I’m up to 8 miles already, with a goal of 8.5 for tonight’s run. Oh, and I get to see Stephen in San Francisco next month!

Comment by Tanja

Made on Thursday, March 18th, 2010 @ 6:37 pm

Kris, schön, dass Du wieder da bist! Und Du siehst toll aus!

Viele liebe Grüße
Tanja

Comment by Tink

Made on Saturday, March 20th, 2010 @ 7:49 am

Aloha Kris, you look FABULOUS!! Isn’t it a bummer though how it’s just hard to make knitting/spinning and exercise work well together? I’ve been doing a ton of knitting the past 6 months, so guess what I haven’t been doing?

Comment by Aja

Made on Tuesday, April 6th, 2010 @ 3:42 pm

Kris, I’m so very happy for you, I’ve been listening to the KU podcast and popped on over to your web-site and was super happy to see you have been busy spinning and running!!!

I’m a mom of two little ones too and often let myself fall by the wayside, your my new motivation to get out and move my body more;) It’s far to easy to sit around and play with fiber isn’t it;b

cheers, Aja.

Comment by kelly-ann (on ravelry)

Made on Monday, April 12th, 2010 @ 6:19 am

Hi Kris…

I re-read this blog post since I just started a walk/run program a few weeks ago. I am hoping to do the half-Marathon in Chicago (super flat) in August or September. Your story is inspiring! Postcard in March and half marathon in June…Amazing!!!

Comment by Deborah

Made on Monday, June 14th, 2010 @ 10:00 pm

Congratulations! You look great, I’m inspired to get out and exercise. :)

Comment by Robin

Made on Friday, September 10th, 2010 @ 6:57 pm

What an inspiration! I am trying to get myself going. Am in need of some definite lifestyle changes!