Any people out there who sew?

June 24, 2010 @ 10:03 am
Filed under: sewing

So I brought the sewing machine out to make some gifts for people and have gotten the sewing bug! I went through some of my old craft stuff and I have a question: what do you do with fabric that you KNOW you aren’t going to use because it is ugly as hell and you wondered why you even spent money on it years ago? I feel bad just throwing it in the trash and I would feel bad “gifting” it to someone.

Also, for those of you in Germany, where do you get your sewing supplies (like interfacing, elastic, ribbon, etc)? And what is interfacing auf deutsch?

Comment by Tini

Made on Thursday, June 24th, 2010 @ 11:17 am

There’s the RAK in Europe group on ravelry. Someone will love the fabric or ask in your local Kindergarden/Grundschule if they need stuff for craft-class (kids love cutting fabric and glueing it onto something, so matter HOW ugly)

I get most of my supplies at the local fabric stores but there are tons of online stores too. (Look for Kurzwaren) Interfacing is mostly known under the brand name Vlieseline otherwise it would be Bügeleinlage if you are looking for the iron-on interfacing!

Comment by Susanne

Made on Thursday, June 24th, 2010 @ 3:17 pm

As for sewing supplies, mostly I buy local but in Munich I often go to Karstadt at the Stachus, and there’s a very nice shop at Sebastiansplatz “Quilt- & Textilkunst”.

Otherwise what Tini said. When you want interfacing ask for “Vlieseline”. I suppose that the quilting shop will be better stocked with different kinds of interfacing but I haven’t bought any there yet.

Comment by Michelle

Made on Thursday, June 24th, 2010 @ 4:03 pm

One of the local shops gives out pre-sewn little almost like pillowcases but you fill it with your scraps, sew the end up…and then they donate them to local animal shelters as a pet beds…

Comment by Sally

Made on Friday, June 25th, 2010 @ 12:05 am

You can use ugly fabric as a foundation for strip piecing, as layers in potholders or coasters. Check the back side too–many times an ugly print is more subtle when turned over. I used some weird flannel prints that I was “gifted” to make dustrags. And hey–cut into strips you can make rag rugs!

Comment by Bettina

Made on Saturday, June 26th, 2010 @ 8:41 am

If the fabric is a thin cotton, make shoe bags for travelling, a laundry bag, bags to keep fleece in, lining for storage baskets to keep from snagging yarn, etc.

While it may not be in the public eye like that, it fills a function.

Other fabrics, try selling them on ebay.

Made on Monday, July 5th, 2010 @ 3:55 am

cute labels!! I’ve totally been bitten by the sewing bug too. I was gifted a super cute hello kitty sewing machine and I’ve been buying fabric like crazy.